Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-11-08 11:15:24

Destry
Website

Textile signatures

I was just looking at Brad Choates implementation of Textile for MovableType, and noticed it has a signature for table. and dl..

I like that. I wouldn’t say the two signatures in this case makes writing tables and definition lists easier (the table. signature is optional, in fact), but I would say the signatures make it immediately clear what HTML elements the Textile syntax is concerned with, which is what I like about other signatures too. And I like the consistency with other signatures, in fact.

I also like the term “signature”, which I’d not been consciously aware of before. It makes it easy to talk about Textile anatomy.

In any case, this isn’t a post to say “Change it!” I’m just pointing it out.

#2 2015-11-08 14:41:25

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Textile signatures

Destry wrote #296483:

it has a signature for table. and dl..

Textlie has the table. signature, but it’s only useful if you’re adding headers and stuff.

As for dl, well, it was modelled on a mashup of WikiMedia and Redcloth Textile. I believe the latest PHP version accepts both syntaxes. I don’t think dl has a direct analogue here in the Textile world, but never say never.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2015-11-08 17:17:59

ax
Plugin Author

Destry wrote #296483:

I was just looking at Brad Choates implementation of Textile for MovableType, and noticed it has a signature for table. and dl..

Actually their example

table(fig). {color:red}_|Top|Row|
{color:blue}|/2. Second|Row|
|_{color:green}. Last|

probably contains some typos, but works in PHP textile also when corrected:

table(fig).
{color:red}. |_. Top|_. Row|
{color:blue}. |\2. Second Row|
|_{color:green}. Last|

I also like the term “signature”, which I’d not been consciously aware of before. It makes it easy to talk about Textile anatomy.

The term “signature” has been used by the PHP textile documentation also.

#4 2015-11-09 00:00:07

Destry
Website

Bloke wrote #296485:

Textlie has the table. signature

Never payed attention to that before. I’ve always used it without and just assumed that’s how it was. Then again, I use tables sparingly in my own articles — hardly at all. Yet, this realization makes me oddly happy.

As for dl, well, it was modelled on a mashup of WikiMedia and Redcloth Textile.

I always put the : and ; in the wrong order on first attempt. Every time. Must be some kind of weird physics law. But a dl. would certainly be easy to remember because of the familiar signature pattern and logical relation to the dl element.

#5 2015-11-09 08:58:32

ax
Plugin Author

Bloke wrote #296485:

As for dl, well, it was modelled on a mashup of WikiMedia and Redcloth Textile. I believe the latest PHP version accepts both syntaxes. I don’t think dl has a direct analogue here in the Textile world, but never say never.

Yes, both the MediaWiki style and the RedCloth style are possible, but not a mashup of both. Myself I prefer to use the RedCloth style for definition lists:

- A definition list item := An example definition

I don’t think that a third syntax, using dl, would be needed in addition to that.

#6 2015-11-10 10:45:30

Destry
Website

I’ve always wanted a hr. (hardrule) signature so I could easily create/use asterisms. They’ve become rather trendy these days too.

#7 2015-11-10 11:57:59

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Is Textile still maintained? I see no activity from netcarver within the last 18 months. Maybe it needs a new owner to volunteer and keep things ticking over.

#8 2015-11-10 15:39:17

Destry
Website

My impression is that nobody is at the helm right now. I don’t even know how to get in touch with Steve, let alone Jukka.

#9 2015-11-10 18:26:58

jakob
Admin
Website

You’ll find steve on twitter and over on the processwire forums. Jukka’s email is his first.last at his other finnish site (see txpq for a tip). I’ve had no reply to either my tweet or email :-(

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#10 2015-11-13 12:05:19

Destry
Website

Steve hasn’t tweeted since mid July. I tweeted him anyway a few days ago, but no pulse yet.

Anyone know how to actually contact the Textile organization on GitHub? I don’t see how to do that, and there’s no indication who the owner is. I’m guessing Steve, but still, nothing is indicated well there. I’m sure people go there and think, “Huh! Flatlined.” and move on.

The Textile github org is a sad dichotomy at the moment: On one hand it seems to be the most universal Textile site online—not catering to one flavor, and giving hints to wanting to be more than it is. On the other hand, it’s seemingly abandonware and a long way from being anything motivational or inspiring.

I’d consider transferring the textile mark repo there if somebody showed signs of caring about the org, and the org adopted the mark.

I’d also lend a hand running the org; communication and content stuff, primarily, but important stuff.

#11 2015-11-13 13:48:03

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Redcloth also needs a new maintainer going forward.

Textile is in danger of withering and dying if not maintained. There are hundreds of thousands of textile files on GitHub for a start that rely on this library continuing to be supported.

#12 2015-11-14 12:35:44

Destry
Website

Seems like the immediate hurdle is just getting someone’s foot in the organizational door, to at least show some signs of life there. Otherwise, the only thing you can do is ignore that organization and put up a new shop, but since they’re sitting on github.com/textile, it’s not ideal. Better would be to revive the effort made there so far.

Board footer