Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2015-10-28 12:13:44

GugUser

Re: I need a Textile logo

Destry wrote #296284:

Jakob, GugUser… do you guys have GitHub accounts I can reference?

Yes, but I had never used it. I should learn that once.

#38 2015-10-28 12:34:22

Destry
Website

My position:

1. padding measured from the stem of the “t” looks more unbalanced than from the crossbar, especially noticeable in the wordmark against right and bottom padding.
  2. the right padding on the icon mark is fine; I like the slightly exaggerated distance, which gives the icon a more rectangular appearance, not unlike the Markdown mark.

Regarding the icon mark only, we could try a compromise, taking the distance lost from the left side and subtracting it from the right side to shorten that distance a smidgen. That would still leave a rectangular shape. But, again, I’m fine with the right padding distance as is. It’s more the left I“m concerned about. If it was wider, it would balance the right better.

GugUser,

I’ll take a website URL if you’d rather have me use that, or any other online profile.

Also, I have to ask… are you Ecuadorian, German, French, Belgian, or what? ;)

#39 2015-10-28 12:46:54

GugUser

Destry wrote #296287:

Also, I have to ask… are you Ecuadorian, German, French, Belgian, or what? ;)

I’m a young old Swiss man living and working in Ecuador.

#40 2015-10-28 13:08:07

Destry
Website

GugUser wrote #296288:

I’m a young old Swiss man living and working in Ecuador.

Cheers to the expats and their rounded perspectives.

So, in the hope of making things simpler… If Jakob (being quick to put the vector files together) replies back here that he’s fine with the measures as he has them above, then I’m fine with that too and we can move on, but I would need the following .png images to use in the GitHub specs:

• wordmark without the field color (padding measures being shown as margins in this case with the outer distance represented as a soft dashed or dotted line, maybe)
  • wordmark with field color by itself (not included with the icon mark)
  • icon mark series (gray, positive, negative, with the “x” scale added on the gray mark only)

The “x” scale wold be added on the first two wordmark spec images too.

I can then insert these in the ReadMe page for the respective spec areas.

(Hmm… Unless I can open his vector file in Pixelmator, then I guess I can produce those. I’ll have to check.)

#41 2015-10-28 14:41:03

Destry
Website

Destry wrote #296289:

If Jakob (being quick to put the vector files together) replies back here that he’s fine with the measures as he has them above, then I’m fine with that too and we can move on

Actually, Jakob, I’m not sure I understand the little gray blocks you used in these images. They look much wider than the value of “x”, which should be the stem width. Is each block equal to 2x?

Whatever the case, I think the spec images should represent the blocks as actual “x” units, or, as I did, just use colored solid bars and give the math equivalents in the spec list items. Or at the very least define what the length of each of those blocks actually is so it’s clear.

#42 2015-10-29 02:57:32

Destry
Website

The repo’s ReadMe file now supersedes this forum thread in terms of spec changes. If you’re still following along, please refer to the readme file for latest adjustment to dimensions. Still talk about it here, of course (or as repo issues), but standing specs will be updated there.

After considering Jakob’s version, and though I’m still unclear about his indicated units of measure as shown in his image, it seems there was merit in adjusting the math a bit to narrow padding all around.

The adjusted dimensions for the icon mark (so far) are:

• 3x/2 = top, left, and bottom padding
  • 9x/2 = right padding

See the revised spec graphics in the readme. The wordmark is forthcoming.

EDIT: Added the icon spec Pixelmator (pxm) file. I don’t use Adobe apps, but I can export a Photoshop file from Pixelmator, so I’ll add that result too and hopefully the file doesn’t fall apart for who every might use it.

Last edited by Destry (2015-10-29 12:47:57)

#43 2015-10-29 17:15:33

jakob
Admin
Website

Sorry about the tardy reply. Yes, the elongated blocks are exactly twice the stem width, like you originally specified, only that I had mistakenly / intuitively done the left margin from the stem and not the arm of the t, and that I shortened the top margin of the wordmark, which looked too large to me.

Before I go away and generate multiple variants, take a look at these test samples (see Github repo) to see what you think – they contain the 2x variants from the first round and the 1.5x and 4.5x suggestion from the second round all at the same size and position – with and without construction blocks – so you can compare them. When you’re happy, I can make the various alternatives.

I admit to having just the knocked them out and not really set up any specific size, so the pngs came out at a weird height. I’ll try and do that better next time…

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#44 2015-10-29 19:55:58

Destry
Website

Jakob,

No rush. No pressure.

the 1.5x and 4.5x suggestion…

This one is perfect. It fits the spec already described in the repo. I’ll change my fractions to decimal notation if that suits international tastes better.

I’m not a fan of the gray blocks for the scale part, though, to be humbly honest. I think they’re overly hard to interpret at a glance, and especially with the different sizes. I’m happy to do the wordmark spec in the style that already exists for the icon mark in the repo if you just provide the vector files for the other things. Good?

#45 2015-10-30 10:31:51

jakob
Admin
Website

Hi Destry,

Here’s (see Github repo) an exhaustive list of files for:

• logo – 690 × 512 px
  • wordmark – 1512 × 512 px

in different versions:

• colour – black foreground, yellow background
  • mono – black foreground, grey background
  • knockout – e.g. a stencil with letters cut out of the background (in black and white)
  • textonly – only the wordmark, e.g. textile with margins around it

and formats:

• ai – Illustrator (CS4)
  • eps – vector with preview image (CS4)
  • pdf – 1.4 / Acrobat 4
  • svg – exported from ai, so not super-cleaned
  • png – transparent (png24), optimised
  • psd – letters, rectangle and knockout on separate layers as paths (knockout hidden by default) so resizable.

And the original construction ai file is there too. That should provide enough for people to mix, match, blend, adjust colours and what have you as desired.

This time I’ve regularised them all to a height of 512px. Seeing as the t.   and textile boxes are not the same height (due to the taller letter l), I opted to keep the text the same height. That means the wordmark is 512px tall while the logo has a bit of transparent space around it. It’ll make sense when you look at them.

You could carry on ad infinitum making apple and android icons, windows tiles and so on … … …

I’m not a fan of the gray blocks for the scale part…

They were just used to derive the spacing from the stem height according to your specs, i.e. pieces of cut material like a carpenter works and not meant as any kind of description. The square is stem-width × stem-width, the other one’s are double and half-versions of that.

BTW: When you’ve decided what you want to use for the github repo, I’ll remove the download to avoid confusion.

EDIT: Removed link and pointed to github repo

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#46 2015-10-30 15:05:48

Destry
Website

Heavy lifting. Thanks, J!

It’s all in the repo now, organized by file type.

#47 2015-10-30 22:24:50

Destry
Website

Et voila ! Just need to finish the draft, maybe end of next week if I don’t fuss about the editing incessantly.

I like how this writing effort turned into a bonus creation project too.

#48 2016-05-18 13:52:48

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

I moved to Atom and I can see your logo associated with my .textile files with the file-icons extension; nice!

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

Board footer