Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2015-09-10 03:25:39

maverick
Website

Re: Ability to install plugins from Github

Got it. I’m pretty sure that Petri is referring to the plugin itself – kuo_github_viewer, and used two different versions for the name.

If you click on the options link, and/or go to Extensions -> Plugin and Theme Viewer, you should be good to go. (Provided that cURL is installed on your server).

#38 2015-09-10 03:30:44

bici
Website Mastodon

yes it works fine. Thanks for your explanation. It does sound like a case of two DIFFERENT names.

And it does create a directory “kuo_github_viewer” in ones web root directory, which is good to note for when one does fresh installs of textpatterm.

…. texted postive

#39 2015-09-10 07:12:55

Destry
Website

maverick wrote #294599:

Bici – yes, there is room for confusion.

… the link I shared is to my personal collection … to be helpful.

However, I think an official Textpattern Community collection is preferable.

Probably. New thread started.

The format Pete has set up in the link that you referenced is a more involved project. There is a schema for the sake of consistency, and as far as I can tell, each plugin has to be uploaded independently from existing repos. Which is a fine approach, just a bit more effort is required.

One other difference is that the Archive is the repo, and each plugin is a sub-repository. This has some pluses, like organizing the plugins by plugin author, and maybe some drawbacks – as a Github newbie I find it a bit easier to work with plugins when they are a stand alone repo. Plus, I’m not sure how to integrate existing plugin repos into the Community archive.

Yeah, and this is likely why Pete’s good-intentioned effort is sitting empty and neglected. Too much effort for people; especially if you’re still trying to figure out Github to begin with. Maybe we can convince Pete to take a different approach, something more like what you’re doing, Mav, but with a focus on supported plugins only (not orphans, experiments, themes, etc).

Last edited by Destry (2015-09-10 08:07:27)

#40 2015-09-10 09:39:04

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #294617:

Yeah, and this is likely why Pete’s good-intentioned effort is sitting empty and neglected. […] Maybe we can convince Pete to take a different approach, something more like what you’re doing, Mav, but with a focus on supported plugins only (not orphans, experiments, themes, etc).

Totally. I’m fair game to anything. It’s not like it’s my repo, either.

Here’s the thing: I named it textpattern-plugin-archive because that’s what I intended it to be – an archive. I figured it was an easy-ish way to stem some of the bit-rot from departed plugin author websites.

Couple of thoughts on this, and I’ve been away for a bit so forgive me if I’m covering old ground:

i) throw up another repo under textpattern-community for supported plugins, name it something appropriate, give Rev Maverick the keys to build something amazing.
ii) fiddle around with textpattern-plugin-archive, call it something different, roll out some JSON goodness to gauge current supported version, etc etc
iii) something else I haven’t thought of.

Disclosure: I’m juggling a few things at the moment, Textpattern-related and elsewhere, and not getting much done around here. Any energy that can be pointed to this repo or mini project, I will endeavour to match. Right now I’m chewing through Norwegian language translations for nb-no.textpack, but when that’s largely done I can look elsewhere.

#41 2015-09-10 12:24:43

maverick
Website

@Destry – thanks for starting the new thread

@Pete – As Destry says in the other thread, I referenced it as your project only because you had taken the leadership to initiate the archive. I realize it was meant as a community project.

I’ll post any further thoughts in the other thread.

Board footer