Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2015-07-08 14:07:39

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: We Love Textpattern (welovetxp.com) needs a new owner

hcgtv wrote #292855:

Right now I’m concentrating on Themes, next up is Plugins, and lastly I’ll start Packaging it all up.

When the themes structure/convention is agreed on, I’ll be looking at making a few themes, too – are you creating from scratch or porting from existing themes elsewhere?

#14 2015-07-08 14:18:12

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #292856:

When the themes structure/convention is agreed on, I’ll be looking at making a few themes, too – are you creating from scratch or porting from existing themes elsewhere?

Just porting, my deuteranopia hinders my abilities to design.

There are many free XHTML template sites, where they are happy to see you port their designs. Once you get used to a particular designer’s techniques, inserting txp:tags gets easier. Just look the designs over, some designers are better coders, so their HTML and CSS makes for an elegant Theme.

#15 2015-07-08 14:22:04

maverick
Website

My 2 cents – which are probably not worth even that. :P

WeLoveTxp was a really nice site when it launched. Thank you Sam!

Right now, there are too many other things that official Txp Devs need to focus on. They don’t need one more thing. If someone private wants to take it over, that’s awesome.

Otherwise, my suggestion is that we set up a way for the Txp community as a whole to acquire and own some of the more choice domains, acquire WeLoveTxp.com from Sam, and put it into hibernation until a future time.

Bonus, if/should Dean ever take pity on us, and mercifully bequeath us the main domain names, then we, as a community, would have a way to corporately receive ownership of the domain names and any related assets/rights Dean might give.

Meanwhile, perhaps Xpattern.com and various other sundry domain names might also be brought under the control of said community ownership.

I’m not sure what exactly would be best/agreeable if we did want to pursue a community ownership of assets. A not-for-profit corporation? Some sort of association?

Obviously Wet, Stef, Phil, Jukka, and company would need to be amendable to such a proposal.

#16 2015-07-08 14:32:36

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I often wonder whether a Textpattern Foundation is a good idea. Seems like it on the surface, but I never get further than “wondering” to actually find out.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#17 2015-07-08 14:35:13

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

hcgtv wrote #292860:

There are many free XHTML template sites, where they are happy to see you port their designs. Once you get used to a particular designer’s techniques, inserting txp:tags gets easier. Just look the designs over, some designers are better coders, so their HTML and CSS makes for an elegant Theme.

Yeah, this. I’m not a designer, but I found a nice supply of legally portable CC-licenced themes that I have in my sights.

#18 2015-07-08 14:38:49

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #292866:

I often wonder whether a Textpattern Foundation is a good idea. Seems like it on the surface, but I never get further than “wondering” to actually find out.

It’s a great idea. As to whether there’ll be any more progress on transferring/retrieving domain(s) and agreeing on copyright usage is another matter entirely. Heck, if 4 people can’t wrestle a domain from a guy who’s dropped off the grid, how is a foundation of 4 people going to have any more success?

I’ll stop banging the drum on this issue, now – it doesn’t need any more attention. Shush, Cooper.

#19 2015-07-08 15:09:22

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #292866:

The Textpattern Collective, or whatever you call it, is long overdue.

• A work collective is a type of horizontal collectivism wherein a business functions as a partnership of individual professionals, recognizing them as equals and rewarding them for their expertise.

There are many longtime users who would love to help shape the future of Textpattern.

Right now, our only vehicle to express ourselves is this forum, I’d much rather hold weekly Collective meetings where our frustrations could be aired there, instead of in a public forum. Do it on IRC, or any other place where we can get together and hold meetings.

As a member of the Collective you agree to attend weekly meetings, scheduled so that everyone can attend, wouldn’t want to get Wet out of bed at 3:00am.

First order of the Collective is to retrieve the Textpattern domains, or …

#20 2015-07-08 15:12:39

maverick
Website

I’ve thought for years that a Textpattern Foundation would be a long-term boon for us.

I think it was even a topic of discussion a couple of times here in the forums. For whatever reasons it never took root.

I suspect that over the years having a more formal organization backbone would have allowed Txp to exploit some of the opportune moments that come – when critical mass and momentum either increases or decreases.

I think we are about to enter another one of those opportune moments in the next couple of releases. Community energy is up. Long awaited changes are coming to the code base/workflow. Textpattern will be more capable than ever and more competitive than ever with other CMSes.

I think how is the time. I believe we have enough smart, competent, people around we can put together a work group to flesh out the details and submit the ideas to the dev team.

I don’t see it as much as a “governing body” or a “business model” as some may have advocated over the years, but as a tool to develop and improve support, sustainability, and awareness.

Just my 2 cents :)

#21 2015-07-08 15:35:51

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

hcgtv wrote #292873:

As a member of the Collective you agree to attend weekly meetings, scheduled so that everyone can attend, wouldn’t want to get Wet out of bed at 3:00am.

Judging by the time of some of his commits and posts here, that’s not much of a stretch, actually.

#22 2015-07-08 15:45:49

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #292879:

Judging by the time of some of his commits and posts here, that’s not much of a stretch, actually.

Lenzing
Town in Austria
Lenzing is a small town of approximately 5,000 residents, 
three kilometers north of Lake Attersee in Austria. 
It is located in the Upper Austrian part of the Salzkammergut.
Area: 3.432 mi² (8.89 km²)
Weather: 62°F (17°C), Wind SW at 6 mph (10 km/h), 84% Humidity
Hotels: 3-star averaging $90. View hotels
Getting there: 11 h 30 min flight. View flights
Local time: Wednesday 5:42 PM
Population: 5,068 (Apr 1, 2009)

6 hours ahead of EST, how about Collective nooner meetings?

#23 2015-07-08 15:52:20

maverick
Website

Bert – your collective post and my response on Txp Foundation happened close enough that I didn’t see yours.

Something like that would work well – whether instead or as part of a holistic strategy.

#24 2015-07-08 16:33:41

Sam
Website

If people think it makes sense to have the domain simply point to the .com, or the Showcase section of the forum, that’s an OK outcome with me.

If someone wants to take over the old site, codebase et all, I’m happy to send that over. The goal here is to mainly find a new home for the domain, if the site no longer exists, I’ll be sad, but fine with that (it has been dormant for 4 years now!).

Board footer