You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2015-07-07 06:03:48

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Size does Matter

I wrote (phiw13 wrote #292612 )

Again, jquery-ui.js is a serious perf. hog

And Stef answered (Bloke wrote #292620 )

Yes it is. And I’m not exactly happy to have it in core for that reason alone, although I recognise some of the stuff it allows us to do.)

Glad to hear… :-).

To be clear, I’m not rejecting the use of Jquery-ui completely. I can see it being useful, and the kids these days they like them fancy effects. It is large library, but with gzipping and caching the network perf. shouldn’t be too much of an issue. A prime example of something where it is useful is your search widget on the layout branch. That is something hard to build out of native form controls alone, and would require tons of js anyway to make it fully accessible (it works fine, btw; I played around with it on a local mirror copy of the site where I play editor, 1000+ articles, 3 languages, 5 official authors, lost-count-of-how-many categories). Drag-and-drop of components on the Write pane is possibly another example — I’m not much into drag-and-drop myself and I’ve no real idea about that though. Used in moderation etc…

What annoy me is the near gratuitous use of js libraries to restyle/replace native form-controls just because. I see very little benefit into using it to replace pairs of radio buttons as in the philwareham mockup for the Preferences pane (I lost the live-link for that, it is still in the Hive repo on github, I think). Worse in my book would be to use Jquery-ui to replace html select widgets, particularly on the Write pane, where there are quite a few of those widgets. Hint, since Firefox 35 you can style that widget consistently across al major browsers (except IE8…) without the need to suffer the perf. penalty of using js.

And then Phil (philwareham wrote #292624 )

The jQuery UI radio buttons are something I’m playing around with, for sure, but may well decided against in final code. Ditto the jQuery-UI <select> lists.

Ok, count me in to vote against it :=) g>.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#14 2015-07-07 08:29:53

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

OK

phiw13 wrote #292708:

Ok, count me in to vote against it :=) g>.

OK, I’m coming round to the idea of not using jQuery UI for radio buttons. :)

#15 2015-07-07 08:40:27

Destry
Website

I love when a [performance] plan comes together.

#16 2015-07-07 08:46:32

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #292716:

OK, I’m coming round to the idea of not using jQuery UI for radio buttons. :)

My little MBA will be happy! (even the iMac won’t complain)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#17 2015-07-07 09:19:48

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Board footer