Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-07-01 10:22:14

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

WYSIWYG editors like TinyMCE, or alternatives

Looking at integrating TinyMCE or equivalent into a project (custom code, not Textpattern, sadly) for building product descriptions. I’d prefer a markup system, but I’ve been overruled as the user base are “familiar” with the awful HTML that things like TinyMCE traditionally spit out.

Haven’t used it in years. Has it improved in recent revisions and can it play nicely with stylesheets and classes, or does it still insist on adding inline style rules? For example, can it be configured to apply class="relaxed" to paragraphs or lists when you use the ‘centre justify’ button, instead of adding style="text-align:center;" to the elements directly?

If so, is it easy to configure it to work with classes? Presumably there’s some config system on instantiation that governs what tools are shown and what each does. The docs aren’t that enlightening as far as I can make out. Can the admin-side preview (as you create the markup) read my style rules if they’re included in the page, so it can render the display as close as possible to how it’s going to look on the public site? Or am I stuck with one of the built-in themes for the editor textarea itself?

Failing that, are there alternative WYSIWYG (ish) systems I should consider which do work with stylesheets? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Oh, and as a side note, is there any tool that’ll strip crappy inline styles from previous versions of TinyMCE HTML output so I can import the existing product description HTML without the extra cruft and re-mark them up with the classes upon save? There are online tools that do things to varying levels of success, but they only handle one file at a time. We have 55000 products to do. Maybe I should just find/write a bash script to blitz the DB column that contains the HTML using a regex!

EDIT 2: I got excited at the name of this plugin, but it just appears to add support for using markdown-style tags in your textarea. I notice there’s also a BBCode plugin, Quite why you’d want to include a markup helper inside a WYSIWYG editing tool is beyond me, but perhaps it just adds flexibility. Presumably it’s not beyond the realms of possibility to write a Textile plugin too, or to configure the textpattern plugin to recognise Textile shortcuts. Hmmm…

Last edited by Bloke (2015-07-01 10:34:06)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2 2015-07-01 11:11:32

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: WYSIWYG editors like TinyMCE, or alternatives

Howz about this or if you are feeling brave this

#3 2015-07-01 11:27:06

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Interesting, thanks. I like the look of Markitup, but others here are not impressed because the editing and preview are separate steps. Honestly, I quite like that separation (and it can auto-update) but unless it can be configured to preview in-place I don’t think management’ll go for it.

Alloy is a different approach again. Unobtrusive, which I think is neat, taking up no additional screen estate. And drag ‘n drop image support is a boon. I’ll tinker and see how customisable it is.

In the meantime, if anyone has any other recommendations (or examples of where you’ve tweaked an off-the-shelf tool like Markitup / TinyMCE to do something brilliant) it’d be greatly appreciated, thanks.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#4 2015-07-01 12:27:30

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

#5 2015-07-01 12:56:28

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Of all the three presented so far, CKEditor tentatively seems to tick all the boxes. Gonna play with it now, thanks.

#6 2015-07-01 12:58:41

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

See also: textpattern.org/plugins/1160/joh_admin_ckeditor

Last edited by gaekwad (2015-07-01 12:58:54)

#7 2015-07-01 13:17:12

jakob
Admin
Website

What about a half-way house variant: textile markup with something like rah_textile_bar in combination with syntax highlighting.

Last time I asked about this, I started looking at similar things based on markdown like hallojs or sofish … and I think there were some other ones too. With an edit area of the kind seen in siteleaf or stackedit, you might be able to get people to write good markup and understand it’s effect without needing an HTML “preview” that doesn’t relate to the actual output.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#8 2015-07-01 13:50:08

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

jakob wrote #292440:

What about a half-way house variant

See, I’m with you there totally. Sadly, trying to convince the “but it doesn’t look like Microsoft Word so nobody will understand how to do it” people at the top is like trying to tell Michael Bay that story is more important then explosions.

I like some of those resources you linked to, thank you. StackEdit’s linked pane approach is neat (and I like the way it degrades on small screens). I do question the mechanism for insertion in places. If I click the bullet icon for example, it opens up a bullet list for typing. But if I selected three rows of text separated by line breaks, and then hit the button I’d expect it to create a bulleted list out of them. Instead it drops me to the next line ready for me to create my list. Not very helpful, but that’s their design decision.

Editing in place on the front side for authorised users is also something I’d like to explore, but the way the pages are built up means content comes from many fields, interspersed with static text and markup. This ain’t no proper CMS, it’s custom-code-tastic. That means it might be confusing to have elements of the page editable while other parts are not, and I don’t know how to then “save” that content back to the DB in a suitable manner. Think: page built up from about thirty custom fields and you won’t be far wrong.

I’d dearly love to have the DB store two versions of content: one raw with markup and one rendered HTML like we do in Txp. The Chief says that’s a waste of space, which is a fair comment when dealing with 50K+ products on an already bursting server.

I don’t think Markdown or Textile is that hard to learn when supported by a suitable toolbar, but I fear I’ll lose that battle. Ultimately, it comes down to me making recommendations and them saying “but it’s not like what we already have”. So I’m kind of trying to find something that resembles a traditional Word-style WYSIWYG editor, but which allows more creative freedom over what markup is actually generated behind the scenes so we have greater control at tweaking layout through CSS. Maintaining the current product line-up with inline styles created by thirty different people is head-bangingly irritating.

#9 2015-07-01 15:43:18

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

For what it matters, I’d like to see Alloyeditor implemented as a plugin. I’m using msd_minibar, and that’s fine for me, but clients consistently want to see the direct effect of their action, not the underlying code. :( It’s an already lost battle, I fear.

#10 2015-07-01 16:14:38

jakob
Admin
Website

This ain’t no proper CMS, it’s custom-code-tastic

My apologies, I oversaw that this isn’t a textpattern project.

FWIW, I’d make a decision based on the extent of formatting you think they will really need for only the fields that need it – usually long-form content.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#11 2015-07-01 16:32:38

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #292442:

See, I’m with you there totally. Sadly, trying to convince the “but it doesn’t look like Microsoft Word so nobody will understand how to do it” people at the top is like trying to tell Michael Bay that story is more important then explosions.

Most people don’t care about Textpattern, the same why George Bush didn’t care about black people. Most people don’t know Textile, nor do they care about learning it. I’ve spent a few days consulting for a local electrician’s office and it’s been eye-opening to work in a field when tech should get the job done and not present any challenges.

#12 2015-07-01 21:33:50

mrdale
Website

I have to jump in and say… why would any casual site editor want or need to be introduced to markup. Imagine the following scenario…

You’re doing a site editing orientation for a customer and you come to editing content part of the discussion, would you rather say…

1. Ok, here’s the fun bit. You get to learn and remember an arcane proxy language to format bold, italics, make headers make links, make lists. Here’s a cheat sheet, print it out and put it next to your screen. or…
  2. OK, just type text in here and style it like you would in any application you have ever used to produce text.

Seriously? What are the compelling benefits to #1 and all the many, many, many times you’re going to have to explain it.

In my time with TinyMCE installed on sites I’ve only seen a few issues that relate to people cutting and pasting content from Word or the Web.

That being said, I’m all for simplicity and clean content markup, so a wywiwyg editor should be able to do that at this point. Front side editing is also something I’ve lusted after for years.

Board footer