You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#73 2015-07-23 19:23:45

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [docs] Github wiki

Destry wrote #293641:

there shouldn’t be concern for duplication

Indeed. I just meant setting the old MediaWiki docs read only (if not already) and any other places they may have been copied since (like wherever Bert has his copy once they’ve been converted to whatever format). Wouldn’t want someone to spend ages editing something that was scheduled for demolition.

To me it doesn’t matter where they’re hosted — Bertsville, Github Wiki, Jekyll, … — as long as they’re accessible and able to be updated by anyone who wants to have a go using the Style Guide as a reference.

Ultimately, I respect what Phil wants to do

Ditto. If there happens to be a halfway house that can ride on the back of the wave of energy of late, which takes a step towards the ultimate goal of some home for up-to-date and coherent user docs then I say we should take it.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#74 2015-07-23 20:23:40

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I’m reliably informed that the docs have already been converted from MediaWiki to Textile. The foreign language stuff has been removed, the remainder just need to be sorted through. Any good as a starting point?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#75 2015-07-23 22:31:53

Destry
Website

Bloke wrote #293644:

Any good as a starting point?

Better than that. It“s first step done. Now just need to put those files somewhere accessible, with some kind of means to easily see whats there. For example a URL or file name list in the audit sheet would be useful, or even just a directory index?

Btw, Mediawiki can be put in freeze mode. Just need an admin to do it, I think. Might even be a control on the frontend admin -side. Can’t remember.

#76 2015-07-24 06:20:45

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Guys, the docs are already viewable on GitHub (they have a parser for Textile) so there is no need to move them elsewhere.

For example

What I really need done at this point is for the exported MediaWiki files to be cleaned and edited (apart from any tag docs, which I’ve nearly finished myself). That just means cloning the repo, edit the Textile files in your favourite text editor, then commit back to the repo.

Use relative URL links in the Textile docs and then you can hop between the doc pages like on any normal site, once they are in the repo.

#77 2015-07-24 09:32:49

Destry
Website

Aaaaaaaah. I’ve been to that Txp docs project page a handful of times and never noticed the “index” link in the ReadMe line before. This has been a source of confusion for me (Github is a little confusing to me, as you know), partly because I keep expecting to see the actual index where the ReadMe file is.

But now that I see what’s going on there, I’ll try this cloning, pulling, humping stuff.

#78 2015-07-24 10:05:28

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Brilliant, thanks Destry.

I have done an initial skim through the exported wiki files and taken out some of the crud. It needs to be collated properly though – I’m sure a fair few files still there are either redundant or in dire need of updating.

You might want to look at some of the tag docs that I have already formatted, just to see the initial text formatting. It’s based on the documentation patterns that were discussed a while back (i.e., sentence case on headings, h1 main headings, h2 subhead, h3 sub-subhead, etc.).

Some of the tags docs also have some Jekyll tags at the start of the file (example) – I’ll be adding those into all files in due course but don’t worry about them too much right now.

Any GitHub questions then let me know!

#79 2015-07-24 14:21:36

Destry
Website

Github questions aplenty.

So, I see this, and I see the “clone” button (yellow) that you say we should do (clone the docs):

This results in this view in my local Github client, which I have no idea how to use. (Those other items you see under “Github” and “Other” I have no idea how to use either and would like to delete):

You say I should use whatever text editor I want, but hell if I know how to do that in relation to my local Github client. So, a little tutorial at this point would be useful.

Also, if I go to a given doc page, like Index, there is an “Edit” button:

If I click that button, it appears to give me editing rights to the doc in place (I didn’t try it):

I’m guessing that easy approach is not acceptable?

Am I the only one that has trouble understanding Github? If so, then maybe I shouldn’t be touching docs and can stop bugging people about it.

#80 2015-07-24 15:02:34

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Hi Destry,

You have commit rights to the documentation repo (as your are part of the Textpattern Documentation Team which Stef set up a few days back). That means you can just clone the repo (instead of a fork) using the Mac GitHub.app as you have correctly started to. Choose a place on your local hard disk to store it.

Then – ignore the GitHub.app for a minute – find the repo you have just saved on your computer. Within that repo you’ll find the Textile files. Edit any of those in a text editor or IDE. Once you save those changes , switch back to the GitHub.app and under the ‘changes’ tab for that repo you’ll see the amends you have made.

Make sure the files you want to commit are ticked, then give the changes a brief summary description and press the ‘Commit to’ button below it. That effectively takes a snapshot of those changes in your local version control. You can repeat the above again to make a few commits, or continue to sync the local snapshots back to the repo on GitHub itself (i.e., the non-local version of the repo) using the sync button in the top-right of the GitHub.app window.

It’s wise to sync the local clone and GitHub repo quite often as any changes other people make will then be pulled down to your local clone.

The other way you pointed out, editing directly on GitHub, is equally as viable and quicker for sure, if you are happy to edit within a browser window. I sometimes to that for really quick edits.

Even then, remember to sync those changes back to your local clone at some point.

You can certainly delete the other local clones you have, that doesn’t delete the original repo at GitHub, just your local clones of them. Even when you remove in GitHub.app the local clone is still on your hard disk until you actually bin it.

#81 2015-07-24 21:20:21

giz
Website

Thanks for the Github tutorial – useful for me too ;-)

#82 2015-07-24 23:52:04

Destry
Website

Thanks Phil, that helped a lot.

#83 2015-07-26 12:14:05

Destry
Website

What does it mean if I can “clone” a repo or github wiki, make changes locally, use the local Github client to commit those changes, and I get this error?

AUTHENTICATION FAILED

You may not have permission to access {resource}. Check Preferences to make sure you’re still logged in.

I would have thought being able to clone the repo/wiki meant I had access.

#84 2015-07-26 12:38:28

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #293695:

What does it mean if I can “clone” a repo or github wiki, make changes locally, use the local Github client to commit those changes, and I get this error?

[…]

I would have thought being able to clone the repo/wiki meant I had access.

Fork first. Make changes to your fork locally, commit changes to your fork, and when you’re happy with your fork, raise a pull request to have the original repo/wiki pull your changes in.

Edit: oh, my bad – if you’re doing it directly then this is all irrelevant. Missed that part. Sorry.

Last edited by gaekwad (2015-07-26 12:39:30)

Board footer