Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-05-08 19:58:34

elvisintw

How do I create an audio database and put it on my website

Hi all,
My boss has a lot of audio sample files that she wants to put it on our site. This following link is a sample site but it’s exactly what she wants to have, except she wants to do more language samples. http://www.splloc.soton.ac.uk/search.php Basically, she wants to host a lot of audio samples in different languages and she needs a search feature with different criteria. Is it possible? Can someone lease give me some pointers? where should I start? MySQL?
I am not asking anyone to do my work, but I am just so lost ….was wondering if I could get some help from here.
thank you so much.

#2 2015-05-08 20:56:24

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: How do I create an audio database and put it on my website

Hi and welcome,

I think you probably need to go back a step and work out exactly what you want to do with your audio files and how they need to be searchable. From a brief look at the site you point to, it has a complex system of files filterable by 7 criteria (which also seem to have interdependencies) plus a search string that then return search matches each provided in five different formats. That’s a powerful site with a clearly thought out (and therefore probably custom-designed) organisational structure based on an underlying (teaching) concept.

To be honest, I think textpattern is not a good match for a site of that complexity as it exceeds textpattern’s in-built organisational depth and dimensionality. In fact, if you’re looking to achieve that degree of search complexity most of the standard blogging / cms systems will be out of their depth, and you’re probably best with programming that yourself (or hiring a programmer) or using a framework with programmed components to build your own system according to your requirements.

Textpattern could be used to store audio files and to organise them in different categories, but it is only really practical if your searching and filtering needs are much much simpler than the demo site your pointed to, and ideally if you have audio files in just one format.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2015-05-08 21:02:56

maruchan
Website

I did something like this with TXP but it was a rather advanced setup, easily the most complex TXP site that I manage. I used adi_gps and smd_query to standardize a method of digging into the data. In the end the site will generate links like http://example.com/infosearch/?level=2&q=hola

As I set this up I spent a lot of time in PHPMyAdmin, testing out queries (and learning more about SQL).

The ongoing maintenance isn’t hard, but I keep notes on the way things are set up inside <txp:hide> tags so I can remember what to update when something needs to be changed.

Overall the result was worth it, because the client can manage this information alongside the rest of the website. In fact they find it very simple to work with.

For your requirements (i.e. working so much with files) I would definitely look at using smd_tags as it lets you take advantage of file tagging alongside the usual file categorization.

#4 2015-05-08 22:42:53

towndock
Website

I believe Textpattern could work for your future site.

Textpattern has powerful search capabilities. It’s fast. Really fast.

Make an individual article for each audio file. Use the keywords function so multiple phrases/languages can find it. Use multiple categories to define languages or whatever criteria you require. Use plugin rss_unlimited_categories so each article can be in as many categories as you require.

It will work.

Last edited by towndock (2015-05-08 22:43:22)

#5 2015-06-05 18:10:00

elvisintw

Thanks everyone’s reply !! I really appreciate your answers. I sorta find my ways to get my project done.
this is one of the examples I found online.
http://dataforradicals.com/the-absurdly-illustrated-guide-to-sortable-searchable-online-data-tables/

#6 2015-06-05 19:19:53

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

elvisintw wrote #290583:

Hi all,
My boss has a lot of audio sample files that she wants to put it on our site. This following link is a sample site but it’s exactly what she wants to have, except she wants to do more language samples.

I wonder whether MediaWiki might be good for this. It lends itself to translations and ad-hoc adding of stuff. The wiki markup is a bit of a curiosity, but it seems to work pretty well.

Board footer