Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-05-05 15:05:05

MrViSiOn

Subdomain and textpattern

Hi!

I just wondering myself if it is possible to point a subdomain to a textpattern (inside main domain) page….

I mean:

I have a textpattern in www.domain.com linking to my root hosting folder…

I want to create a subdomain blabla.domain.com and I want to be handled with textpattern from main domain (above).

Is this possible? Do I update my htaccess or so?

What do you guys do for this?

Thank you so much

Last edited by MrViSiOn (2015-05-05 15:05:43)

#2 2015-05-05 15:50:05

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Subdomain and textpattern

Subdomain would likely be handled at a hosting level. There needs to a DNS entry for the subdomain, either with the domain registrar or with the hosting control panel if you’re at a one-stop-shop kinda place. In my experience, you can set up a subdomain and set the web root for it in the control panel. Be aware that if you have content at example.com and subdomain.example.com, you might (possibly) get spanked in search engine results pages for duplicate content; although the example.com part is the same, many search engines will regard subdomain.example.com and example.com as two sites. Recommend you take a look at the canonical meta tag to get around this: support.google.com/webmasters/answer/139066?hl=en

#3 2015-05-05 15:55:11

MrViSiOn

I know what you mean.

I don’t really want to show same page in both “domains”… I only want to show a landing page managed by my textpattern in my main domain

What do u think?

Thank you!

#4 2015-05-05 16:02:56

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

I only ever use subdomains as a last resort for internal/development stuff, so take this with a pinch of salt.

I look at it this way: if I do something that blows up popularity-wise, I don’t want to have to send inquisitive people to a wonky-looking subdomain. I made a stupid move in 2006 calling my company something that’s a pain to spell over the phone: Pragmatika. I got tired of misspellings, but I liked the name, so I kept it and I’m using pr.ag as my landing page with links elsewhere on other domains.

Have a landing page at example.com that links to foo.example.com – personally, a landing page (the interstitial type where there’re one or two options available) is something I tend click past and rarely pay attention to – again, take salt with this.

Try it. Get some feedback from users who don’t have site snow blindness. Listen to them.

#5 2015-05-05 16:03:39

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

MrViSiOn wrote #290481:

I know what you mean.

I don’t really want to show same page in both “domains”… I only want to show a landing page managed by my textpattern in my main domain

What do u think?

Thank you!

You can do that using rah_external. Install the plugin in your main site, create a new form (presentation>forms).

Name it rah_eo_sometitle and enter the content that you want to serve to the subdomain there. It could be txp tags.

create an index.php file for your subdomain, add anything you want in there like html and lang declaration etc and call your content from your main domain in the body by using

<?php echo file_get_contents('http://yourdomain.tld/?rah_external_output=sometitle'); ?>

you can see the plugin in action on neme.org where the “NeMe Activities” are parsed from neme-imca.org where the plugin is installed.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#6 2015-05-05 16:05:57

MrViSiOn

thank you so much!!!

That is what I need!!!!

Thank you for your quick answer!

#7 2015-05-06 00:22:57

bici
Website Mastodon

colak wrote #290483:

you can see the plugin in action on neme.org where the “NeMe Activities” are parsed from neme-imca.org where the plugin is installed.

Curious as to what the advantages are to doing what you are doing in getting info from a sub-domain …
neme.org < neme-imca.org

…. texted postive

#8 2015-05-06 05:17:01

colak
Admin

bici wrote #290488:

Curious as to what the advantages are to doing what you are doing in getting info from a sub-domain …
neme.org < neme-imca.org

Hi bici
In that case I am getting the information from one domain to the other. It saves me having duplicate information and if anything needs corrected I only have to do it once.

Yiannis
——————————

#9 2015-05-06 05:27:37

bici
Website Mastodon

colak wrote #290489:

Hi bici
In that case I am getting the information from one domain to the other. It saves me having duplicate information and if anything needs corrected I only have to do it once.

Hi thanks for the clarification…. so it is actually TWO different domains? ..

…. texted postive

#10 2015-05-06 05:40:23

colak
Admin

bici wrote #290490:

Hi thanks for the clarification…. so it is actually TWO different domains? ..

Yes they are and they serve different purposes: NeMe and IMCA

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer