Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-04-27 12:46:38

gomedia
Plugin Author

Wordpress/Textpattern mention

Comments about TXP in the first paragraph may be of interest: Migrating a website from Textpattern to WordPress

#2 2015-04-27 17:32:32

towndock
Website

Re: Wordpress/Textpattern mention

One must admit that much of the not so good comments are largely true for many prospective users. TXP works for me because it so so easy to adapt existing html themes to TXP, it’s fast, and thanks to our stable of brainy plugin authors I can make most anything happen. But the author has his points….

#3 2015-04-27 18:00:47

bici
Website Mastodon

gomedia wrote #290259:

Comments about TXP in the first paragraph may be of interest: Migrating a website from Textpattern to WordPress

It was interesting to read that one of the “modern” prerequisites that he wants in a CMS is “COMMENTS” handling – I was under the impression that having comments on websites/blogs was on the decline.

But nonetheless those are his reasons for shifting to WP

…. texted postive

#4 2015-04-27 22:22:25

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

There will always be users who decide, for one reason or another, to migrate to a tool that has a more dynamic development cycle and more options.
It is true that Textpattern is in the trough of the wave.
The last major version was almost 3 years.

It is clear that the core team have no time or no resources to invest in this CMS.
Much work is stopped. No visibility or explanation is given to the community.
This is a sad moment.
This will surely accelerate the departure of some users to other platforms.

I hope a little start is still possible. To see the arrival of 4.6.

#5 2015-04-28 11:07:13

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

There is one thing he mentions which I was thinking about. That of the URL schema. Somehow I like the foreslash at the end of the individual article as it makes sense. Is there a way to implement it on txp?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#6 2015-04-28 13:37:59

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

This is an odd time to be praising WordPress for Comment Handling.

Both vulnerabilities are known as stored, or persistent, cross-site scripting (XSS) bugs. They allow an attacker to inject code into the HTML content received by administrators who maintain the website. Both attacks work by embedding malicious code into the comments section that appear by default at the bottom of a WordPress blog or article post. From there, attackers can change passwords, add new administrators, or take just about any other action legitimate admins can perform. The most serious of the two vulnerabilities is in WordPress version 4.2 because as of press time there is no patch. – Just-released WordPress 0day makes it easy to hijack millions of websites

#7 2015-04-30 18:21:12

andreas
Website

Hi. I’m the one who wrote the article mentioned above. As I still have a fondness of TXP I wanted to say a few things about my migration away from it.

I’ve used TXP for eleven years. Back then, Dean was its only developer, Textile was a great new discovery for me and I really loved how standards compliant TXP was (and is). I built several sites from scratch because I was a student and had the time. At the moment I still run two TXP sites built seven and twelve years ago.

My problem with the just migrated site and the one still running TXP is that I use(d) plugins for important functionality like URL schemes or photo display. Many of these plugins haven’t been updated for years, some have broken taking the funcationality with them. Relying on TXP means hoping that these plugins will still work after the next update or risking running an outdated version of TXP.

One core area that is severely lacking, IMHO, is URLs. TXP could be so flexible with sections and cetagories and tags if only it had more options to put these meta data to work in its URLs. And this should be part of the core and not in some plugin which might or might not be discontinued.

With comments: I couldn’t find a solution for opt-in comment subscriptions that worked, something that is required by law in my country. Also: I couldn’t get spam protection to work reliably but of course I might have overlooked something. My impression was that on textpattern.org I found a lot of stuff that was years old and many of the plugins I tried for these and other functionality didn’t work.

I’m no longer a web designer and have never been a developer. Making websites is a hobby. When I started using TXP I could built a site from scratch, in the meantime, many current developments have left me behind. I can’t build a mobile theme myself and I can’t fix a broken plugin. So I migrated to a platform where I can expect more active development and more solutions to my problems. Even though, of course,I know that WP is by no means perfect and probably has many more security holes than TXP (even though I have no way of telling).

Best
Andreas

Last edited by andreas (2015-05-02 04:14:57)

#8 2015-05-01 11:38:19

jonathantxp

Regarding the WordPress/Textpattern debate, I specifically chose Textpattern for my new website as it is significantly faster (server delay is 0.3 seconds instead of >2.1). Wordpress requires quite a good host, while Textpattern runs beautifully on a tight budget.

I hope development continues (albeit at a slow pace). For me, the most important features are present and I love textile :) Thank you for creating this terrific CMS; I am glad it exists.

Also found quite a new TXP fan site

Last edited by jonathantxp (2015-05-01 11:39:36)

#9 2015-05-01 12:08:47

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Hi Jonathan and welcome to txp. Nice site discovery. I am looking forward to more posts.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#10 2015-05-01 13:44:03

moon blake

An additional information for the non-german folks here: Andreas wrote some fine TXP-instructions in German some years ago . Have been the first texts I read about TXP.
It’s a pity that he leaves the plattfrom…

#11 2015-05-01 13:57:20

moon blake

Many of these plugins haven’t been updated for years, some have broken taking the funcationality with them. Relying on TXP means hoping that these plugins will still work after the next update or risking running an outdated version of TXP.

I’ve have no experience with a live insatlation of WP. But I think the plug-in problem is even bigger there than with TXP.
There is also no guarantee that a plugin still works after the next update of the core. And additional it is often said that many WP-plugins do not work when installed parallel. And you don’t know before which will work together and which not.

#12 2015-05-01 14:01:19

moon blake

Jonathantxp wrote:

I hope development continues (albeit at a slow pace). For me, the most important features are present and I love textile :) Thank you for creating this terrific CMS; I am glad it exists.

I really really would like to endorse this!

Board footer