Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2015-06-30 10:19:02

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Magazine to newsletter

Destry wrote #292351:

for those non-English speakers trying to promote using the magazine for non-English content, they need to put their actions where their ideas are.

Absolutely. That might dictate how far this idea goes. Wanna write a guest blog post outlining the proposal with calls to action? We could pimp it here and see if anyone bites as a first step.

I’m still not quite clear — on a technical, admin-side level — how it would work:

• Section per language
  • Use a custom field for language designator
  • Use a category
  • Or a tag

and how we’d then filter that into feeds, but I’m sure someone has some ideas on how to figure out a decent workflow that ticks all the boxes.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#26 2015-06-30 10:25:20

Destry
Website

Bloke wrote #292353:

Wanna write a guest blog post outlining the proposal with calls to action?

I’d be happy to.

#27 2015-06-30 10:35:07

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #292343:

A third crazy option that addresses the multi-lingual slant is to open it up as a multilingual “community” magazine. In other words, we don’t worry about translation, writers can submit whatever language they want and that gets published for whoever can read it, though someone should make attempts to keep languages staggered as much as possible. There should still be some editing attempts, of course (and appointed editors in the CMS for each language in that respect), but no effort at trying to unify articles to one language standard. Any respectable topic goes if it just means getting people writing. A set of categories for each language makes it easy to RSS each stream? Etc.

YES, that’s what I meant.
No traduction. Each Textpattern user can write in their own language.

Why not a “textpattern medium” ? A Textpattern user can open a account and writing article about Textpattern in his native laguage.
A chief editor (or moderator) for each language is interessting for validated content about Terms of use.

Last edited by sacripant (2015-06-30 10:37:09)

#28 2015-06-30 10:41:59

Destry
Website

Bloke wrote #292353:

I’m still not quite clear — on a technical, admin-side level — how it would work:

• Section per language
  • Use a custom field for language designator
  • Use a category
  • Or a tag

and how we’d then filter that into feeds, but I’m sure someone has some ideas on how to figure out a decent workflow that ticks all the boxes.

I’ve never setup a multi-lingual site, so I’m not savvy of any constraints that might exist. Anything I proposed before is ignorant of that.

But what I had in mind requires ridding yourself of the notion that we’re going segregate content by language from top to bottom. MLP doesn’t apply here. Instead treat all articles, regardless of language, the same way, but give each language it’s own category for RSS reasons. In fact it might be the only category you use in this case. Otherwise, it’s just tags that’s making articles searchable by topic.

The last part is the tricky part, I guess. There needs to be a taxonomy for tags, with each language having it’s own translation of that taxonomy.

I don’t know. Maybe it’s not a good idea after all. I’m just a concept man, not a developer. ;)

#29 2015-06-30 10:49:04

Destry
Website

sacripant wrote #292360:

YES, that’s what I meant.

Great. Consider yourself the coordinator for your language.

First step: Help Bloke figure out how admin-side IA will work.

Second step: Start recruiting writers/topics in your language, and maybe write something yourself.

Weeeeee! ;)

#30 2015-06-30 11:00:26

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

For me, a textpattern blog plateforme (same concept as Medium) is technically simple.
When a contributor want create a account, he choose a contribution language (a smd_user field ?) and validate terms of use.

I think with this field, it’s possible to filtering content by author / by langage, create a specific RSS by user / by language, etc.
Each author has his landing page (authors context).
Each language can have his landing page (sections context ?)

Perhaps the only difficulty is to set up a multilingual interface. But with Textpack and <txp:text /> was a good basic.

#31 2015-06-30 11:01:44

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #292365:

There needs to be a taxonomy for tags, with each language having it’s own translation of that taxonomy.

Well smd_tags can handle that quite nicely. You can set up a “tree” of tags and either assign them all to a parent tag of the language designator, e.g. fr-fr (or just fr if you prefer), or link that tree of tags to a Txp category.

Perhaps the category is the language of the article, which would then — as you say — make feeds per language a cinch. That would also mean, when writing an article, picking from the “language” category loads the appropriate tag taxonomy set into the Write panel. But it uses up one of two vital categories.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#32 2015-06-30 11:13:26

wavesource

Howdy.

Respects, Destry, I didn’t know about TXPmag until last month of so, I only joined here late 2011 and it actually took me probably 6 months with other work stuff to get my head around TXP, and hence I’m a late enthusiast. And I deserve a kick up the butt for being late to the party.

Having been pointed to the TXPmag site and seeing what was going on everywhere, yeah, it’s pretty broad, lots off big ideas and so forth. Hence when I returned I shot my mouth off a bit and that wasn’t respectful from me, so everyone please accept my apologies.

But my original post was more about marketing effectively via serialised pushed content to a mailing list/RSS, something lighter like Stef mentioned. It doesn’t have to be huge, it just has to be consistent and achievable.

And that sounds a bit like where you’re heading now. If you have a shit job for someone to do, try me. I’m not a coder but I’ve got 15 years in book/magazine/marketing design along with the web stuff (which came afterwards), so polishing up and knocking out some text from a few links to some blog posts or whatever, for others to review and bounce around, happy to help out with that.

#33 2015-06-30 11:17:52

wavesource

Can I just state that I’ve set up a TXP site for multiple countries – and I chose to use sections, named using the two letter ISO code, so therefore the french site sits under http://domain.com/fr – therefore pulling the section name is all I need to pull any other associated variables etc. As the section names are all just two letters, they don’t really interfere with your the longer tail “normal” sections like “about” etc.

Probably very simplistic compared to your ideas, but it works and doesn’t use touch the categories.

Last edited by wavesource (2015-06-30 11:19:52)

#34 2015-06-30 11:39:55

Destry
Website

wavesource wrote #292372:

Having been pointed to the TXPmag site and seeing what was going on everywhere, yeah, it’s pretty broad, lots off big ideas and so forth. Hence when I returned I shot my mouth off a bit and that wasn’t respectful from me, so everyone please accept my apologies.

No worries. Like I said, other people needed to hear that too. You just gave me the reason.

Btw, I don’t know if you saw this, which I posted yesterday elsewhere, but it touches on another side of the mag’s status two years ago or so that I didn’t mention here. The short of it is that we knew a while ago that a tapering down on the mag content scope was needed, but due to circumstances beyond my control, we (I) couldn’t get anywhere with it.

Yes, a regrouping and change of plan is needed. Seems like were getting somewhere. At least talking about it.

#35 2015-06-30 13:01:38

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #292344:

So, exploring this notion of an open blog, what infrastructure does it need?

• An inbox somewhere that a bunch of us have access to?

I would think this to be the easiest, I could write something up on my local site, copy/paste the finished article, put it in the body of the email and shoot it off.

Now, this blog post, story, would be unique to this new weblog, I mean I couldn’t post it on my site and then the weblog, right? Duplication of content and all that.

#36 2015-06-30 13:03:10

Destry
Website

Bloke wrote #292344:

So, exploring this notion of an open [Textpattern] blog, what infrastructure does it need?

I’d suggest starting a new thread for this, with all the bullet points you added here. Take it out of magazine context.

Disregard.

Last edited by Destry (2015-07-01 14:19:47)

Board footer