Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-01-21 17:20:52

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Vintage plugins lost in action - time for a repo?

I was looking for the most recent version of upm_textile earlier on, and had trouble finding a known-good copy. Mary’s website has changed hands and is now a non-Textpattern Japanese-language website, so all the upm_* are left to bit rot.

Rob Sable’s WilshireOne has also switched owners, and rss_* plugins are harder to find. There are an increasing number of orphaned plugins for Textpattern, some of which are becoming very hard to find known-good copies of.

This situation is bad. I devised a thing to make the situation less bad: a Textpattern plugin archive.

It’s hosted on GitHub here: github.com/textpattern-community/textpattern-plugin-archive

It’s intended to be an archival mirror of Textpattern plugins past and present. Right now, it’s empty.

I’m looking for two things:

• plugin author who are willing to have their plugin arsenal added, including previous versions where appropriate
  • competent GitHub users who can fork, add plugins, and submit pull requests to expand the library

…actually, three things:

• feedback on how best to arrange and maintain the repo

Please note: this is not an official Textpattern repository. I made the textpattern-community area for users to do stuff in outside of the remit of the development team.

So, with that in mind, if you can help out with any of the above three things, please reply below. I’m intending to work on some layout and schema stuff tonight (January 21st, 2100UTC). I will have both this forum open and be around in the Textpattern Slack channel if you want to play along.

Last edited by gaekwad (2015-01-21 21:59:32)

#2 2015-01-21 17:46:11

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Vintage plugins lost in action - time for a repo?

Great idea Pete. I guess that it would be good if links to the files which are no longer available by their authors are updated in textpattern.org to point towards your repository.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2015-01-21 18:48:40

maverick
Website

Agreed. Good idea.

I have a number of old plug-ins archived but it will be several weeks at the earliest before I can start searching for them and uploading them.

#4 2015-01-21 18:56:04

uli

Ace idea, Pete!

If you’re not a collector yourself (or should your stock have gaps): Yell! I’ve around 300, maybe 350 MB of plugins, will depend on the amount of text/help files I sometimes also saved. Once I have a bit spare time again I can look into making a content directory file for you or tidy up the folders, translate foldernames, (or flatten my personal folder hierarchies) and upload a zip with all the stuff to somewhere you prefer. (Still no Github account, sorry ;)

gaekwad wrote #287609:

all the upm_* are left to bit rot.

Mary has thankfully uploaded all her files to .org and replaced links to point to the new places before taking her website offline.

Last edited by uli (2015-01-21 18:58:42)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#5 2015-01-21 20:59:23

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Excellent – thanks for your responses, everyone.

Yiannis – I don’t have big ambitions for this project right now, but having a known-good source for these things would add value to .org with fewer dead links.

Mike – no hurry at all, this will take time to curate and expand.

Uli – I am not a collector, but I have a good feeling we can pool what we have between us and start to build a good collection. No GH account required, either – whatever format you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

#6 2015-01-21 22:01:10

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

OK, made a steady start – upm_ already represented, though I know there are additional ones.

I’ll add a bunch more tomorrow. Helpers welcome.

#7 2015-01-21 23:04:32

uli

gaekwad wrote #287619:

I know there are additional ones.

Yup, you’re right. Mary’s plugins have IDs 69-85 on .org. You can download them via
http://textpattern.org/file_download/ID_HERE

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#8 2015-01-22 09:31:56

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

uli wrote #287621:

Yup, you’re right. Mary’s plugins have IDs 69-85 on .org. You can download them via
http://textpattern.org/file_download/ID_HERE

Sure would be helpful to have a textpattern.org file download list/matrix for this kind of thing. Who could do that?

#9 2015-01-22 10:19:39

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

gaekwad wrote #287638:

Sure would be helpful to have a textpattern.org file download list/matrix for this kind of thing. Who could do that?

You can :-) You’ve got mail.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#10 2015-01-22 11:09:31

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Much obliged, señor.

Board footer