Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2014-11-24 14:04:05

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

[git] master or admin-layout-update - paging Stef and Phil

I suspect this is a question most appropriate for Stef and Phil.

I want to raise a PR to tweak the UI for files and images in the admin-side a little. Is this best done to the master branch and, if accepted, subsequently ported to admin-layout-update, or should I go straight for the admin-layout-update branch instead?

Thanks in advance.

Addendum: also, to save another thread being opened, what’s the most practical way to preview the admin-layout-update changes? I can’t see a straightforward way to snag just that branch to install it – no doubt I’m missing something obvious.

Last edited by gaekwad (2014-11-24 14:07:57)

#2 2014-11-24 14:49:26

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [git] master or admin-layout-update - paging Stef and Phil

gaekwad wrote #286044:

I want to raise a PR to tweak the UI for files and images in the admin-side a little.

And Presentation->Sections I presume, as it’s borked in the same way!

Is this best done to the master branch and, if accepted, subsequently ported to admin-layout-update, or should I go straight for the admin-layout-update branch instead?

Do it directly on the admin-layout-update branch if it saves you work, otherwise master. On a related note, I wanted to raise a ticket against a branch the other day but couldn’t find a way to do it just for that branch so I ended up emailing Phil about it instead. There must be a way to do that, I probably haven’t spotted it yet. Hmmph, “man looking”.

what’s the most practical way to preview the admin-layout-update changes?

After cloning the master, you can do git branch -a to see all available branches, including remotes you may (or may not) be tracking. I tend to then do:

git checkout -b admin-layout-update origin/admin-layout-update

(not sure if you need all that malarky, it might do it automatically if the names of your local and remote are the same). You’ll then have checked out that branch ready for editing, and can either use the folder directly in *AMP, or can ‘export’ it to another folder:

git checkout-index -a -f --prefix=/path/to/destination/with/trailing/slash/

[-f = force overwrite]. But note it won’t export any uncommitted changes so if you’re tinkering in your branch and do a checkout-index you won’t get your changes in your exported copy until they’re committed.

Oh, and a word about updates. I’ve found if you switch back to master using git checkout master and do a git pull, if you then git checkout admin-layout-update and do a git pull on that branch, you get a truckload of merge fails which you have to unpick by hand (or, in my case if I ever do this, I just ditch the folder, start again and make a new clone!)

The way to seemingly avoid this is to git pull from the admin-layout-branch first and then update master second. There’s probably some git reason for this I don’t fully understand, so consider this an uninformed public service announcement based on trial and error alone.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2014-11-24 15:40:36

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #286046:

And Presentation->Sections I presume, as it’s borked in the same way!

Thanks, Stef. Actually, no – at least not in this case. I just wanted to add in some [Edit] links next to the image and file categories, like the Write tab has. Uniformity, innit.

The way to seemingly avoid this is to git pull from the admin-layout-branch first and then update master second. There’s probably some git reason for this I don’t fully understand, so consider this an uninformed public service announcement based on trial and error alone.

I will admit to using the Mac GUI at the moment because I’m not smart enough to get my head around the command line stuff – just need to figure out how to extract/edit the files from the relevant branch to do the install stuff. Might be a long day.

#4 2014-11-24 15:59:05

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

There’s not much point in raising issues against the admin-layout-update branch right now, since that is an unstable on-going patch that can and will change many times before it’s merged into master.

i.e. the list pages are half-moved to a new layout, the prefs page will be ripped apart and rebuilt completely, etc, etc.

I’d say for very minor UI changes, then pull request to master (I can then merge into branch if necessary). Anything UI-wise you are unsure of then contact me and discuss first for the admin-layout-update branch – since it might already be something planned for inclusion.

#5 2014-11-24 16:04:50

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

PS. Future branches probably won’t be as all-encompassing as this one, but it has to be a large one right now because of completely revised grid system for layouts.

#6 2014-11-24 17:05:37

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

philwareham wrote #286051:

I’d say for very minor UI changes, then pull request to master (I can then merge into branch if necessary). Anything UI-wise you are unsure of then contact me and discuss first for the admin-layout-update branch – since it might already be something planned for inclusion.

Thanks, Phil – it’s minor, almost trivial. I’ll do it to master.

Board footer