Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2014-11-04 09:11:22

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [accessibility] prev/next links and their arrows

philwareham wrote #285429:

Regarding the article edit screen prev/next – I’d vote to remove them. If people need them there could be a plugin to reintroduce them.

Hmm – I asked one my clients (‘iPhone-girl’). She does lots of (writing/editing) work on her site with that device. She frequently posts series of shortish articles on the same subject and when writing/editing uses the prev/next widget to flip back and forth through the various articles. But, thinking aloud, maybe the recent articles list will be sufficient for her needs.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#14 2014-11-04 10:02:52

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Regarding the article edit screen prev/next – I’d vote to remove them.

-1, but not strongly. I use them.

#15 2014-11-04 10:06:00

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

OK, maybe they stay, but I’m trying to redux the amount of stuff on the write page where I can. Anything non-essential has potential to be removed.

#16 2014-11-04 10:07:48

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

let’s work [pagination code] into the admin-layout-update branch

I’m a bit confused. The article list page already has that style of pagination. At least, my dev copy does. What am I missing? Have I got a plugin installed that does that or something?

Such pagination does come with its own pitfalls. When you have 300 articles and elect to show 15 per page, that’s 20 pages so you need to be clever about showing a subset of the middle group of links. The current implementation is not bad in this regard: one of the better ones I’ve encountered, but it’s not ideal on small screens as it wraps fairly heavily.

My issue with this type of pagination is that you often lose direct access to the fringes compared to where you are in the set. A select list retains direct access, which I happen to like. I can’t recall the number of times I’ve been frustrated with a UI because all I see is something like:

<< < ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... > >>

In order to get to page 7 I need to click page 11, then 9, then 7, which is much slower than direct access. Textpattern’s current implementation is much better because the first ... jumps to the midpoint between pages 1 and 11, and the last ... the midpoint between 15 and the highest number of pages. That results in a (sort of) logarithmic decay to the number of clicks to reach your destination, instead of linear.

I’d like to roll in the aria markup you mentioned though.

One thing I’ve often wondered is if it’s possible to get the best of both worlds using a cleverly-styled set of widgets designed to look like one bar, vis-a-vis:

< 1 [2-10 in select list] 11 12 13 14 15 [16-NN in select list] NN >

or is that just stupid? The dropdowns would retain ... as their first item.

Regarding the article edit screen prev/next – I’d vote to remove them. If people need them there could be a plugin to reintroduce them.

That’s an option. Or shove them somewhere else on the screen and/or make them take up less space.

The idea about jumping between articles in the filtered set is interesting. Not sure how to do it yet, but it might be worth exploring. It would mean tracking the Article list panel’s filter parameters on the Write panel’s URL. That would have the benefit that we could also add a link somewhere near the next/prev buttons to jump back to the filtered set on the List panel.

Not really thought it through yet, but I’ve often wondered about a facility like that to save having to revisit the list panel and re-filter. It’s not so bad on desktop as you can open a few tabs but on mobile it’s a pain.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#17 2014-11-04 10:15:34

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

philwareham wrote #285437:

OK, maybe they stay, but I’m trying to redux the amount of stuff on the write page where I can. Anything non-essential has potential to be removed.

Right. Makes sense. As I say, I’m not strongly in favour of keeping them – frankly, you’re better at UI than I am so I’ll probably just go ‘ok, yeah – that’s better’ if they do disappear.

#18 2014-11-04 10:35:08

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

This is probably worth consideration, it’s what all the stock image libraries I use tend to go for (and they involve sifting through massive lists)…

List nav example

I’m not keen on using a select for that task.

#19 2014-11-04 10:42:20

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote #285440:

This is probably worth consideration, it’s what all the stock image libraries I use tend to go for … I’m not keen on using a select for that task.

In that situation yes, a select list is onerous. 674 pages is excessive! The ability to type a page number in is good. How do you confirm your intention? Does onblur submit the page? Presumably the stock image site is using some kind of AJAX fetch?

For our purposes (unless we also adopt AJAX, but imo it creates more problems than it solves for list pages) do we need some kind of submit button for the number? If so, does that break the clean UI presented here?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#20 2014-11-04 11:13:38

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

They just change page when you press return. No AJAX used. At least not on Shutterstock or Getty Images anyway. Same on WordPress, no AJAX and no submit button.

#21 2014-11-04 11:28:51

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote #285442:

They just change page when you press return.

Sweet. Makes sense. So just tabbing out of the box could leave you with a mis-representation of which page you’re actually viewing: actual page vs. the one shown in the input box. Not a major issue I suppose.

#22 2015-11-11 03:03:35

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bumping this up – on the Admin-layout branch, the prev/next buttons are gone from the listing pages (Yay!, thanks), but they are still present on the Write panel. Throughout the Admin interface, there are other strings that include those arrows: the set-up process: the submit buttons on each step; there is back_to_top string in the Textpacks (used by the Hive admin theme); there might be more.

Can we reach an agreement that those little arrows should be removed from the language strings / Textpacks for 4.6 ? They still create a nuisance for screen reader users, and I still find them visually jarring.

#23 2015-11-11 11:58:41

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Hi, please create an issue for this in the Textpattern repo (I will then investigate improvements to both core and the Textpacks).

#24 2015-11-12 02:49:33

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Done — issue 589

Board footer