Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2014-10-31 10:29:25

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

[UX] The default article should have an excerpt

I’ve been toying with raising a pull request to add content to the excerpt field in the default article. To avoid wasting my or anyone else’s time, I wanted to throw it out here first off. Something along the lines of:

This is a Textpattern article excerpt. Article excerpts are optional but can be used effectively to summarise an article’s content, for example with Textpattern’s built-in article syndication and with the <txp:excerpt /> tag.

What would you change?

Edited for typos and content

Last edited by gaekwad (2014-10-31 10:41:53)

#2 2014-10-31 10:35:40

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [UX] The default article should have an excerpt

Good idea. One typo: ‘to summarise an article’s content’. Would we benefit from mentioning landing pages and how excerpts are used in the default template on article list pages, or is that just too confusing?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2014-10-31 10:39:08

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #285303:

Good idea. One typo: ‘to summarise an article’s content’.

Balls. Good spot.

Would we benefit from mentioning landing pages and how excerpts are used in the default template on article list pages, or is that just too confusing?

On the basis that I didn’t even know that happened, that’s worth looking into. Having re-read my idea, it makes more sense in my head to have something in the excerpt field and then link to another doc for Textpattern orientation, rather than piling even more into the default documentation.

#4 2014-10-31 10:46:51

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

gaekwad wrote #285304:

it makes more sense in my head to have something in the excerpt field and then link to another doc for Textpattern orientation, rather than piling even more into the default documentation.

Works for me. Is the wiki going to be around long enough to link there, or should it link to some pophelp content (somehow)? Maybe if pophelp was available to display from the front-side via a tag… hmmmm.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2014-10-31 11:03:10

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

PR #451 raised to populate the default article excerpt.

Last edited by gaekwad (2014-10-31 11:03:24)

Board footer