Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2014-07-31 15:57:06

aslsw66
Website

Ordering images using <txp:image>

I post all of my photos to Flickr, but on the galleries section of my website I present a thumbnail of a single image which becomes a link to the full album on Flickr. In my images, I’m using the alternate text field as the album ID to link to, and the caption to display the name of the album below the thumbnail.

What I really need is to be able to sort the order of the images in a specific order, roughly in the order in which I took the photos. I know that I can sort on either date or image id, but this depends on me creating the images in exactly the right order I want them to display – no going back and changing the order again!

Is there some other option I could be using? I’ve thought about packing more data in one of the fields with a delimiter, and then splitting it out when I grab the field values. The other option is to go into the database and modify the image dates manually.

Of course, what I would really like is to be able to extend custom fields to images too.

Thanks everyone.

#2 2014-07-31 16:31:10

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Ordering images using <txp:image>

Are you doing anything with Image Categories? You could sort them that way.

Or you could link each image to an article and then do your gallery page as articles sorted by date instead of images.

#3 2014-07-31 20:09:14

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

aslsw66 wrote #282562:

what I would really like is to be able to extend custom fields to images too.

It’s coming… (s-l-o-w-l-y)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2014-08-01 09:05:18

aslsw66
Website

Thanks.

Or you could link each image to an article and then do your gallery page as articles sorted by date instead of images.

I think I will go for this approach. It treats the links to my Flickr albums as content in its own right, which I can live with. It just means a bit of work to set it up and also to keep my wife away from using that special article section when she writes articles!

It’s coming… (s-l-o-w-l-y)

So is Christmas!

Board footer