Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2014-06-30 07:23:00

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: TXP Admin keeps asking me to log in

You can edit your database with a web GUI, such as phpMyAdmin – but there will still be a small learning curve to get it going, especially if you’re new to SQL. I haven’t experienced this specific login issue, so I am not certain this will absolutely solve it, but it should give you a way in to start your recovery.

Anyone have any non-SQL ideas to solving this?

#14 2014-06-30 07:29:40

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Just an off shot. Have you updated txp recently? It might be that some files were not uploaded properly.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#15 2014-06-30 09:30:57

wordgasm
Website

colak wrote #281738:

Just an off shot. Have you updated txp recently? It might be that some files were not uploaded properly.

Nope.

gaekwad wrote #281737:

You can edit your database with a web GUI, such as phpMyAdmin – but there will still be a small learning curve to get it going, especially if you’re new to SQL. I haven’t experienced this specific login issue, so I am not certain this will absolutely solve it, but it should give you a way in to start your recovery.

Anyone have any non-SQL ideas to solving this?

I’m afraid I can’t edit my SQL. :( If anyone doesn’t have any non-SQL ideas to solving this, I might just have to learn SQL soon. Which is frustrating. Thanks for all the help, Gaekwad.

#16 2014-06-30 09:50:21

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Tobey, you have email.

#17 2014-06-30 12:57:36

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

OK, I am posting some server diagnostics with wordgasm’s permission:

Textpattern version: 4.5.4 (r4919)
Last Update: 2013-02-20 20:28:46/2013-02-20 20:25:52
Document root: [removed for security]
$path_to_site: [removed for security]
Textpattern path: [removed for security]/textpattern
Permanent link mode: section_title
Temporary directory path: [removed for security]/textpattern/tmp
Site URL: [removed for security]
PHP version: 5.4.20
GD Image Library: version bundled (2.1.0 compatible), supported formats: GIF, JPG, PNG
Server TZ: America/Los_Angeles
Server Local Time: 2014-06-30 05:53:18
DST enabled?: 0
Automatically adjust DST setting?: 0
Time Zone: Asia/Manila (28800)
MySQL: 5.1.56-log
Locale: en_US.UTF-8
Server: Apache
PHP Server API: cgi-fcgi
RFC 2616 headers: 0
Server OS: Linux 2.6.32.45-grsec-2.2.2-r3
Active plugins: an7_filter-0.2m, smd_slimbox-0.34, ajw_if_comment_owner-0.3.1m, zem_contact_reborn-4.0.3.20, zem_contact_lang-4.0.3.6, soo_if_frontpage-0.1.8, gbp_permanent_links-0.14.7, smd_lib-0.36, gbp_admin_library-0.4.669
Admin-side theme: txpmobile 4.5.4

Pre-flight check: 
------------------------
textpattern_update_available: 4.5.5
Some Textpattern files have been modified: 
	[removed for security]/textpattern/lib/classTextile.php
------------------------

.htaccess file contents: 
------------------------
#DirectoryIndex index.php index.html

#Options +FollowSymLinks
#Options -Indexes
#ErrorDocument 403 default

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
	RewriteEngine On
	#RewriteBase /relative/web/path/

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
	RewriteRule ^(.+) - [PT,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !=/favicon.ico
	RewriteRule ^(.*) index.php

RewriteCond %{HTTP:Authorization}  !^$
	RewriteRule .* - [E=REMOTE_USER:%{HTTP:Authorization}]
</IfModule>

#php_value register_globals 0

# SVG
AddType image/svg+xml  svg svgz
AddEncoding gzip       svgz

------------------------

It turns out that Dreamhost updated PHP around the time that this problem started happening. An update to 4.5.5 is on the cards for tomorrow, but the PHP upgrade looks like the culprit to me.

I know 4.5.5 included support for PHP 5.5, but is there anything that’s likely to affect PHP 5.4?

#18 2014-06-30 13:03:42

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Another off shot. classTextile.php has been modified. what happens if it is replaced by the vanilla version?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#19 2014-06-30 13:08:01

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

I was wondering that, Yiannis. I tried to disable the plugins to see if that might help, and I wasn’t able to do that. This error appeared:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [removed for security]/textpattern/theme/txpmobile/txpmobile.php:165) in [removed for security]/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php on line 2235

There are other occurrences of Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by on the forum, some of which mention the txpmobile theme. A connection? I don’t have working FTP details, sadly, but an upgrade to 4.5.5 is happening soon.

#20 2014-06-30 13:58:45

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

gaekwad wrote #281746:

@Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent

That’s a bug in txpmobile. You can fix it by removing blank lines between the <?php> lines. In other words, lines 164, 162 and 84 of txpmobile.php v0.41.

I doubt that’ll fix anything else mentioned in this thread, but at least it’ll get rid of the annoying warnings.

EDIT: and if you don’t have FTP details, install smd_admin_themes. You’ll be able to edit the theme files directly there.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#21 2014-06-30 14:01:03

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Stef, that’s really useful – I’ll give that a try. Thank you very much.

#22 2014-06-30 14:03:40

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Huh. Just realised: I can’t install a plugin because it keeps dumping back to the login screen each time I try. No dice. Nice idea, though!

wordgasm: try Stef’s code edit to txpmobile, see if that is a factor in the weirdness you’re experiencing.

#23 2014-06-30 14:11:01

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

D’oh. Of course, forgot about that.

I’ve seen this auto-logout behaviour before, manifesting itself in odd behaviour. A few times it’s been a very, very persistent cookie that just refuses to let you log in after upgrade (usually because you were logged in during the upgrade itself). Secondly, if Txp has files not completely uploaded during an upgrade. Neither of those are the case here, it seems.

I have seen a particular server config that prevented the login cookie from ‘sticking’. I’ve no idea how to explain it, and it may just have been a random coincidence that fixed it (because it totally doesn’t make sense) but it appeared that the login process tried to stash the cookie against the site’s domain but internally it was doing a rewrite or redirect (or something) which made the page appear to come from somewhere else. Thus Txp asks for the cookie for this new place and the browser says “no cookie here, mate” and dumps you out. Repeat ad infinitum.

I seem to recall using RewriteBase to ‘fix’ the path to root. But I may be waaay off base here, because I can’t logically see how anything could interfere with things at that level. The last time I had to mess with RewriteBase was when the server kept issuing a 500 Internal Server Error until I set that Apache directive, which totally threw me for a while.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#24 2014-06-30 14:15:09

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

I’ve had a to-and-fro chat with wordgasm and she has indicated this problem started around the same time as Dreamhost updated PHP. The txpmobile bug might be the straw that broke the proverbial camel’s back.

The persistent cookie issue wouldn’t be a factor if I was logging in afresh here, right? As in, never done it before from this computer.

Board footer