Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2014-06-28 02:03:32

wordgasm
Website

TXP Admin keeps asking me to log in

Hello,

I have the same problem as posted here.

I can only view the first level of my txp admin interface. Every time I click on an article, image, form, or style, the page asks me to log back in, only to revert back to the first level (e.g. Write Tab). I have already cleared my cookies. Trying to login from another browser doesn’t help either.

This only began to happen yesterday, while I was editing an article. I couldn’t edit further, when the page asked me to log in after saving, only to be forwarded to a blank write tab. I’m using TXP 4.5.4. Any idea why this is happening? Thanks for the help.

#2 2014-06-28 05:50:22

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: TXP Admin keeps asking me to log in

Did you try to log in with another browser?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2014-06-28 09:01:28

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

A long shot: are you already logged in as the same user with another browser?

#4 2014-06-28 11:32:47

uli

Another reason might be a redirect rule (http:// <-> http://www) not matching the site_url setting on basic preferences.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#5 2014-06-28 17:39:09

milosevic

Try deleting domain cookies

<txp:rocks/>

#6 2014-06-29 10:35:58

wordgasm
Website

Thanks, everyone, for responding. Yep, I have tried using other browsers (even other laptops), clearing cookies, and using www and without www in the domain. None of them worked.

gaekwad wrote #281695:

A long shot: are you already logged in as the same user with another browser?

I think I did. Is this the problem? Would you know how I could solve this?

Whenever I try to login through my mobile phone, the admin page works though. I’m using a mobile theme for that. Only the Write Tab works in the mobile version, however, so I can’t really make any other changes.

#7 2014-06-29 11:16:47

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

wordgasm wrote #281718:

I think I did. Is this the problem? Would you know how I could solve this?

It may be a cookie/security issue if you have the same user logged in with >1 device at the same time. Try this: make a new user with similar rights as your existing user, presumably Publisher. Try logging in as that new user on your mobile and the first account on your other browser, or even vice versa – just have two users across two devices. Does that solve it?

Last edited by gaekwad (2014-06-29 11:16:57)

#8 2014-06-29 11:46:18

wordgasm
Website

gaekwad wrote #281719:

It may be a cookie/security issue if you have the same user logged in with >1 device at the same time. Try this: make a new user with similar rights as your existing user, presumably Publisher. Try logging in as that new user on your mobile and the first account on your other browser, or even vice versa – just have two users across two devices. Does that solve it?

This poses a wall — I can’t do much in the admin side. I can only view the main tabs. Viewing or editing other info requires me to log back in, only to be forwarded back to the main tab. I can’t add users either or change the website status to debug mode.

#9 2014-06-29 11:49:04

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

wordgasm wrote #281720:

This poses a wall — I can’t do much in the admin side. I can only view the main tabs. Viewing or editing other info requires me to log back in, only to be forwarded back to the main tab. I can’t add users either or change the website status to debug mode.

Oh yeah, duh – didn’t think of that. Can you log out of the mobile browser? Failing that, do you have access to edit and update the database? We can create a new user at database level.

#10 2014-06-29 11:58:45

wordgasm
Website

gaekwad wrote #281721:

Oh yeah, duh – didn’t think of that. Can you log out of the mobile browser? Failing that, do you have access to edit and update the database? We can create a new user at database level.

Yup, I am already logged out of all browsers and devices. And yes, I can edit and update the database. Thanks!

#11 2014-06-29 12:15:14

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

wordgasm wrote #281722:

Yup, I am already logged out of all browsers and devices. And yes, I can edit and update the database. Thanks!

OK, let’s go. This may or may not resolve your problem, but it’s worth a shot. I just tried this to duplicate a user on my localhost and it let me in, which is encouraging.

First, make a safe backup of your database. Next connect to your database with whatever tool you prefer (GUI or CLI). Textpattern users are located in the txp_users table – you may have a prefix on your table names depending on how you’re setup. Go into your txp_users table and find the row with your user on it. In my case, I have one user and the row looks like this:

I’m cheating by using a GUI, but this row can be duplicated with a couple of key changes: the user_id needs to be a unique number, ideally one more than the last number in the sequence, and the name also needs to be unique. Before you go duping anything, check your privs is set to 1 – Publisher-level rights.

So, I duped my existing row and now it looks like this:

Note the new name and user_id. The password and everything else stay the same. You should now be able to login with the new username and old password, and as the user is a different entity to the problematic one, you should be able to poke around as before. The last_access and nonce will update after you successfully log in as this new user.

Last edited by gaekwad (2014-06-29 12:16:32)

#12 2014-06-29 13:29:05

wordgasm
Website

Would it be possible to add a txp user in MySQL via web? I’ve just downloaded and installed a GUI (MySQL Workbench), and would take me some time to figure how it works. Unfortunately I have no background in MySQL.

Board footer