Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2014-06-05 05:21:22

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

copyright

In the footer of the forum we have Copyright 2004–2014 The Textpattern Development Team. I’m wondering if it should be there as (I thought that) all the posts here are under the GPLv2 license..

Maybe it should change to: GPLv2 2004–2014 The Textpattern Development Team and community.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2014-06-05 17:42:27

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: copyright

No, and it’s a software license too. Each poster owns their own post and is responsible for its content. Post content, tips and code snippets shared or resolved on these forums are not open sourced, or under a specific license, if not otherwise mentioned by the poster.

Last edited by Gocom (2014-06-05 17:46:54)

#3 2014-06-06 15:33:08

colak
Admin

Hi Jukka,

Thanks for the reply. So what is the copyright notice for? Shouldn’t we just have a creative commons licence here?

Yiannis
——————————

#4 2014-06-07 03:20:41

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

colak wrote #281266:

So what is the copyright notice for?

For the actual website, of course.

Shouldn’t we just have a creative commons licence here?

Copyright and license are two different things, and compliment each other. We don’t license user content, nor can we relicense existing content, and a license isn’t a replacement for a copyright notice. Even if a license were mentioned (which we aren’t going to do), the copyright notice would still stand.

#5 2014-06-07 08:48:11

colak
Admin

Gocom wrote #281269:

Copyright and license are two different things…

The way I understand it (maybe wrongly) Creative commons is a public copyright licence which allows others to use/edit/adapt/whatever your work whereas copyright in the traditional sense is there to just protect the author/company/etc and does not allow unlicensed use or/and any variations.

txp and fluxbb are open source and it is distributed under a GNU licence. The snippets of txp and php code here are posted as open source too (otherwise people would/should not post them). Admittedly there is other code in this forum from 3rd party APIs which are not necessarily under a GNU. I can understand that the content appearing in the .com could have a copyright (although I don’t see anything there which needs it) but the content of the forum should – in my view – be copyleft or have a creative commons licence.

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer