Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2014-04-02 22:44:39

zeraph

Textpattern Image Selector Plugin Pop-ups on the iPad - Not working

Hi there,

I am a web designer working on a site for a client in Textpattern. She wants to update her site exclusively from the iPad.

I’ve installed a few image selector plugins so that she can add images from the Write tab – bot_image_upload, fh-article-image-selector.

These launch a pop-up window to add the image, but this can’t be done with the iPad — the window isn’t sized correctly, so barely anything is visible within it, it contains no scrollbars, and no “save” button is available to insert the image into the article after uploading (and the uploading process itself is possible, but visually confusing).

I’m open to any solutions here. I’ve attempted it with a number of browsers on the iPad, but the pop-up window is always the same and never functional.

I’ve also experimented with the txp mobile admin theme. This is different, but still not different enough to work. I’ve tried some of the iPad’s accessibility features and gestures to resize content or scroll within the window— no dice.

Any ideas? Much thanks.

Last edited by zeraph (2014-04-03 01:47:49)

#2 2014-04-03 00:41:24

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Textpattern Image Selector Plugin Pop-ups on the iPad - Not working

Have you tried abl_droploader ? I’m not sure how well it’ll translate to an iPad scenario where there is no concept of ‘visible file system’ to drag stuff from, but it might be worth trying out.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2014-04-03 01:36:53

zeraph

Hmm. Well, I gave it a try.

The overlay comes up no problem,but of course I can’t drag image files from anywhere (Unless there’s something I don’t know about the iPad, which is very possible). It does say “drag images or click to upload” or something to that effect, implying there’s another upload option, but I couldn’t get anything to come up by tapping the screen anywhere.

I am curious about implementing something from a third party, like MoxieManager, to upload images. It’s probably beyond what I’m able to do personally.

Thanks for your response.

Last edited by zeraph (2014-04-03 02:44:15)

#4 2014-04-03 12:00:37

uli

lam_image_uploader is quite an aged plugin yet still functional. It works with the system’s Open/Save dialog (i.e. no overlay, no extra window) but, aged as it is, can only handle one article image per article.

Install and activate it, vistit its extension tab/page and install its db table there. It then sits in the Write panel below the left column, in a scrollable iframe that’s in need of some css love but comes with pretty much everything: caption, alt, thumbnail image, code cheat sheet, category chooser.

If it works on the iPad: Open the plugin code and replace “article-col-1” with “image”. From then on you’ll find it where TXP’s image field is and thus can be folded in together with the article image h3.lever.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#5 2014-04-05 16:58:30

zeraph

Thank you! Much appreciated. This is just what I was looking for for the article image.

I do have additional fields which take an image ID, so if anyone has any other solutions for a iPad-friendly image selector that could potentially work for those as well, please share them too. Thanks very much!

Last edited by zeraph (2014-04-05 16:59:25)

#6 2014-04-05 20:12:56

uli

Not wanting to stop anyone from posting something better. But until that happens:

You can add the image ID to any field by exchanging article-image with e.g. custom-1 in the plugin code, if that’s your primary image field (you can not have multiple fields at once with this plugin like with bot_image_upload). Furthermore, you can simplify the process of entering the image ID into another field by putting the second JS snippet in this post into bot_write_tab_customize’s JS field in Admin > Extensions.

Once you’ve arranged that you can ctrl-click a field of your choice, and the value from one field is copied over to another one (only on ctrl-clicks). In the posted code it’s taken from custom-1 to custom-2.
Adapt your IDs accordingly, add more fields, and/or add code to delete the entry from the source field.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#7 2014-04-14 16:14:09

uli

Just had a look at an iPad again (don’t have one) and saw that it doesn’t have a ctrl-key on its keyboard. Something like a shift key however was there. Shift is “16” in the linked Javascript. If this applies at all on the iPad and is doable.

It would be nice to read how you solved the issue.

#8 2014-04-15 07:50:41

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

On iOS shiftKey doesn’t invoke any event, but it acts as a modifier. Clicking it swaps the keyboard to show only uppercase characters. It’s similar to caps-lock, only that there is no event (JavaScript doesn’t know it was clicked) and following key events do not indicate use of shift either. The keyboard events are also fired after release and are limited to inputs, key events can only be triggered by the user and keyboard can only be invoked by an user triggered event.

#9 2014-04-15 08:38:57

zeraph

Uli,
So far I haven’t delved into the solution you offered as I’m still trying to understand it :) As well as what the process is like for the client once the solution has been implemented. Many projects going on right now… I will try to investigate further as soon as I can. Thank you!

In the meantime, the client has agreed to update her site via an older desktop computer she has.

#10 2014-04-15 10:27:46

uli

Thanks for the clarification, Jukka.

zeraph, the script (as it is now) was intended to copy the entry of custom field 1 over to custom field 2 if cf2 is clicked while the ctrl-key is pressed. Thought this could be adopted easily for a different environment/workflow.

I’m really interested in hearing what you come up with, because myself, I can’t even try, unfortunately. In the not too long run Textpattern should provide solutions for touch devices, I’m surprised this didn’t arise earlier.

#11 2014-04-15 12:57:47

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

uli wrote #280241:

In the not too long run Textpattern should provide solutions for touch devices, I’m surprised this didn’t arise earlier.

Textpattern as of v4.5 (released nearly 2 years ago) already had good touch screen support – it’s called the Hive admin theme, just swap the Classic theme for Hive and that’s that.

This has also been improved much further in the 4.6 work and I have further plans for touch screen (for example I’ve just this past weekend rewrote the whole admin navigation menu of Hive for improved tablet/mobile use, plus made it keyboard navigable and fully WAI-ARIA accessible). It’ll be rolled in core once I finish the new responsive grid replacement.

The OP is talking about third-party plugins which I have no involvement with, it’s up to those plugin authors to make their work touch screen friendly.

#12 2014-04-15 13:03:23

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

As a side note, whilst the Classic and Remora themes will have touch screen capabilities and improvements in 4.6, they will not be responsive (i.e. adjust to screen size) because they are legacy themes, I just maintain them as a courtesy to existing users. Hive is the primary theme gong forward.

Board footer