Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2014-02-28 16:05:33

springworks
Website

Copyright violations

One of my clients has just found out that a competitor has copied, word for word, two of the pages of her website. Note that this is just the written copy that has been ripped off, not the design.

Other than a request to the competitor to change the copy, what other options does she have, other than engaging a lawyer (which is probably expensive and overkill)?

#2 2014-02-28 16:58:58

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Copyright violations

We had similar problems with our site. The only way is to write to them and complain. Our experience resulted in no fruition of our requests. So we just gave up and assumed a more philosophical attitude. You should explain to her that whatever she puts up on the net is becoming (unofficially) part of the public domain (I know many would disagree here).

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2014-02-28 17:03:12

springworks
Website

colak wrote #279332:

We had similar problems with our site. The only way is to write to them and complain. Our experience resulted in no fruition of our requests. So we just gave up and assumed a more philosophical attitude. You should explain to her that whatever she puts up on the net is becoming (unofficially) part of the public domain (I know many would disagree here).

That’s what I feared.

Such are the problems associated with achieving a number one ranking on Google for her chosen search terms.

#4 2014-02-28 17:51:31

GugUser

In a similar case, a few years ago, I wrote finally to the hosting company with the necessary arguments, after which the impugned website has been taken offline.

#5 2014-02-28 20:28:01

maniqui
Website

colak said it pretty well. Contact them, let them know that they are being somewhat dishonest to their audience, but let them copy your client’s content. Also, your client may want to let the public know (via a blog article or a tweet) what the competitor is doing, although that might initiate a (flame) war not worth your client’s time.

I’d also suggest you to avoid playing the copyright game: it hurts more than it helps, and “winning” it gives more arguments to copyright supporters.
To be sincere, I’m really “biased”: I’ve been reading a lot of copyright (and why it’s an unjust law and it should be abolished sooner than later) since I’ve discovered this blog: Cultural Liberty, by Crosbie Fitch. BTW, not related: I’ve discovered that blog via TXP forum, as the website runs in Textpattern.
Highly recommended reading for those who would like to undo the brain damage inflicted by copyright indoctrination.

Bottom line: copying is not something to be prosecuted, imo.

colak wrote:

You should explain to her that whatever she puts up on the net is becoming (unofficially) part of the public domain (I know many would disagree here).

Ditto.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#6 2014-02-28 22:27:27

springworks
Website

Update: I emailed her asking her to change the copy and she has amended it so a good result.

Thanks for all of your comments.

#7 2014-03-01 06:14:38

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

maniqui wrote #279337:

I’d also suggest you to avoid playing the copyright game: it hurts more than it helps, and “winning” it gives more arguments to copyright supporters.

Hey Julián,

I guess you did watch RIP?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

Board footer