Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2014-02-08 13:29:53

Destry
Website

Forum and Txp on same domain

A silly question at this point, but is the forum really sitting in a subdirectory on textpattern.com? I’m asking because I’m kicking around the possibility of intalling a forum in a subdirectory of a domain where Txp is installed at root. Is that even possible? Do I need a second junk domain and do some DNS aliasing for that?

#2 2014-02-08 13:30:43

Destry
Website

Re: Forum and Txp on same domain

Related, is this new Txp forum’s code on Github? ;)

#3 2014-02-08 14:54:43

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Destry wrote #278715:

A silly question at this point, but is the forum really sitting in a subdirectory on textpattern.com?

No…? In short, the server internal configuration and domains are, well, unrelated. Its on the same physical server and listens the same interface if thats what you mean. “Subdirectory of a domain” doesn’t mean anything; well, it doesn’t share the same Apache virtual host.

Software running on your server and domains do not have any real relation to each other. Domain is just a mean to reach the server.

I’m asking because I’m kicking around the possibility of intalling a forum in a subdirectory of a domain where Txp is installed at root. Is that even possible? Do I need a second junk domain and do some DNS aliasing for that?

You can use the same domain for multiple purposes and serve multiple documents over HTTP. So yes. You could host 150 forums and 15 000 Textpattern installation on the same domain, which would appear as “directories” to the HTTP client.

Related, is this new Txp forum’s code on Github? ;)

Yes.

#4 2014-02-08 15:29:28

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #278715:

[…] I’m kicking around the possibility of intalling a forum in a subdirectory of a domain where Txp is installed at root. Is that even possible?

Yes; cf.: forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=40575

#5 2014-02-08 18:11:45

Destry
Website

Thanks, both.

#6 2014-02-08 19:00:04

maniqui
Website

Destry, there are some advantages on using a subdomain to publish the forum:

• it’s indexed as another website (well, at least, by Google, not sure about other search engines)
  • it’s possible to host it on another server, if needed.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#7 2014-02-09 10:17:59

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

maniqui wrote #278723:

it’s possible to host it on another server, if needed.

Albeit the same is possible with a single domain too, being that a domain isn’t limited to one application server. Not that proxying is something you should use as your first step to route traffic, but is also something you can use, if needed for the same eventual reasons.

The main reasons for wanting to use a subdomain are HTTP level security, but cross-domain origin sharing possibility, and as you say, separate DNS record.

#8 2014-02-09 19:55:04

maniqui
Website

Gocom wrote #278728:

Albeit the same is possible with a single domain too, being that a domain isn’t limited to one application server. Not that proxying is something you should use as your first step to route traffic, but is also something you can use, if needed for the same eventual reasons.

Yes, correct. I omitted the use of a proxy as a way to route traffic aimed to “folders”.
Tangentially related, that reminded me of a time where I setup two sibling websites running from the same TXP installation. The main website was a “normal” website, with some sections. The second website (on a different domain) was just a micro-website that served one of the main website’s sections using a reverse proxy (done in PHP). It was nice to set that up.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer