Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-12-28 14:37:01

Patrick

Re-uploading the files from the Textpattern official zip package

Hi.

I am totally new to textpattern, and this question may be obvious so please excuse me if it is.

I have a problem with our website – http://www.meditateinsheffield.org.uk/

I can’t get into textpattern either – http://www.meditateinsheffield.org.uk/textpattern/

We had this problem about a month ago and I contacted the hosting company and they reloaded an older version from backup. I updated this older version, then this problem came back. I emailed the hosting company today and they said –

“I’ve checked a few files on the account and they all seem to be infected with malicious code. As you’ve updated the site I’d recommend re-uploading the files from the Textpattern official zip package on their website.

If we restore from a backup it’s likely it’ll cause issues between the different versions and make things worse.”

I don’t know how to do this and I don’t want to do anything to damage the website. Could anyone explain clearly and simply how to do this and how to get our website so it is running and can be updated without any errors and it crashing.

Thanks!
Patrick

#2 2013-12-28 16:13:56

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: Re-uploading the files from the Textpattern official zip package

See Detailed upgrading instructions.

Looking at your site it at least appears that the files weren’t uploaded properly or are corrupted, as parts of the source files and their code is missing.

#3 2013-12-28 17:11:36

Patrick

Hi.

Thanks.

Do I upgrade the textpattern programme I already have to the latest version?

It says on that link -

“As with any system upgrade, you’ll want to be sure you can fall back on your existing install should there ever be a problem; thus, you should back up your server files and create a database dump file (.sql) before upgrading.”

I don’t know how to do any of this – I’ve read the following text and not sure what to do. It says –

“Make a copy of the current system file tree (folders and files of the Textpattern installation). The easiest way to do this is to log onto the server using FTP or SFTP, create a new folder called txp-current, for example, and copy the existing system file tree into this new folder (leave the file tree structure the same). Alternatively simply duplicate your existing Textpattern dir and name it Textpattern_OLD. Upload the new Textpattern dir and then copy your config.php file from the Textpattern_OLD prior to running the Update.”

I don’t know how to do this. I only login to textpattern here – http://www.meditateinsheffield.org.uk/textpattern/ – but it gives an error message.

Thanks

Patrick

#4 2013-12-29 00:56:28

uli

First you’ll need some logins and passwords: Those for file transfer (FTP) and, depending on your webhosting service, those for database access (and potentially for client login to your web hosting account’s admin).

Then you’ll need an FTP client application. If you’re on a Mac you can use Cyberduck (donationware), for Windows FTP client applications you’ll have to google or have some other forum guy give you a recommendation.
Make yourself a little aquainted with the FTP application, it’s just another way of managing/transferring files, very similar to the Windows Explorer or the Mac’s Finder, hence you’ll know rather quickly how to operate it once the FTP account is accessible.

For the SQL dump: You’ll probably have PHPmyAdmin preinstalled in your webhosting account. Once logged in there choose the database that Textpattern is installed in in the left hand frame, from there click the Export tab, and, if not already preselected, choose the radio button “Quick – Show only necessary options” (translation from German), select SQL as file format from the dropdown menu below, click OK, then copy the text/code in the huge text area and save it to a file on your computer.

Feel free to ask whenever you’re stuck.

Last edited by uli (2013-12-29 01:05:52)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#5 2014-01-03 12:30:21

aslsw66
Website

If you’re on a Windows machine, then look for Filezilla.

Board footer