Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-12-09 16:41:08

thijs

admin side shows language selection (and nothing else)

since yesterday, when I log in to the back end of textpattern, I get the language selection/update/install screen that you normally get when installing textpattern afresh. Strangely no other tabs will show, even if I select a language. If I click save at the top, I do get the green ‘preference saved’ notification. Clicking on ‘content’ or ‘presentation’ etc has no effect.
Anyone have an idea what may have happened to cause this?
I was working on another textpattern install on a subdomain earlier, so that might have something to do with it. Everything on the front end of the site is working normally.

thanks for any suggestions,
best
Thijs

#2 2013-12-09 17:08:45

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: admin side shows language selection (and nothing else)

What is the Textpattern installation version in question and what is the version you have stored in txp_prefs table?

SELECT val FROM txp_prefs WHERE name = 'version'

#3 2013-12-09 17:17:06

thijs

I need MYSQL to fish that out of the database, right? I’ve never used it, but I guess now’s a good time to learn. :)

#4 2013-12-09 20:11:47

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

thijs wrote:

I need MYSQL to fish that out of the database, right?

Yes. You could use some management script, such as phpMyAdmin, or you could use CLI.

If its a remote server, SSH to it and feed MySQL the query. E.g.

$ ssh user@domain.tld
$ mysql -u DatabaseUser -pDatabasePasswordNoSpaceBefore DatabaseName
> SELECT val FROM txp_prefs WHERE name = 'version';

Last edited by Gocom (2013-12-09 20:13:08)

#5 2013-12-09 20:30:12

thijs

thanks, I’ve got phpmyadmin, as far as I know my host does not cater for SSH.

The version in the pref table is 4.5.5.

In the backend, at the left bottom corner it also says 4.5.5 but I figure that may be the same number from the db?

What other place do I check?

thanks for the help.

#6 2013-12-18 15:11:34

thijs

Gocom or anyone else, have you got an idea how I can fix this, or has seen the same thing on their own install of textpattern? I’m willing to try anything, otherwise I’ll have to do a clean install anyway.

cheers

#7 2013-12-18 15:48:24

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

thijs wrote #277404:

Gocom or anyone else, have you got an idea how I can fix this, or has seen the same thing on their own install of textpattern? I’m willing to try anything, otherwise I’ll have to do a clean install anyway.

I have had this happen before with the language page stuck, though I think it was a localhost environment and the problem ended up being file permissions (please don’t take this as 100% accurate as my memory is vague). Are you able to check your httpd error logs? If so, try going another non-language admin pane and see if that adds anything to the log file.

#8 2013-12-19 00:56:58

thijs

gaekwad wrote #277408:

I have had this happen before with the language page stuck, though I think it was a localhost environment and the problem ended up being file permissions (please don’t take this as 100% accurate as my memory is vague). Are you able to check your httpd error logs? If so, try going another non-language admin pane and see if that adds anything to the log file.

thank you, gaekwad. That might be the case. Is there any list of the right permissions for the textpattern folders, I’ll check them first.

Last edited by thijs (2013-12-19 00:57:12)

#9 2013-12-19 23:07:30

thijs

ok I’m just going to trash the current install and do a fresh one. I was trying to get a new install going on a subdomain, but that led into more headaches (subdomains and textpattern don’t get along?). I think it’s easier just to start from scratch :)

In the meantime, thanks for the suggestions.

#10 2013-12-20 18:44:45

els

thijs wrote #277466:

(subdomains and textpattern don’t get along?)

Txp and subdomains get along perfectly :) So the problem must be something else.

#11 2013-12-22 14:11:36

thijs

Els wrote #277482:

Txp and subdomains get along perfectly :) So the problem must be something else.

hm ok good, maybe the fault was on my end, I should have said, nice permalinks, subdomains and textpattern. On the subdomain install, with permalinks set to messy there was no problem, all links worked fine, but set to any other format, i got 500 internal server errors for any post. I tried changing the htaccess mod rewrite rule but couldn’t get it working.

If you care to help, based on this FAQ:
http://textpattern.com/faq/66/404-error-when-linking-to-article-pages

what should I put in the htaccess instead of this?

#RewriteBase /relative/web/path/

The FAQ does not say anything about subdomains, but since that’s the one difference between my two installs I supposed the problem was there.

#12 2013-12-22 20:21:23

els

thijs wrote #277503:

hm ok good, maybe the fault was on my end, I should have said, nice permalinks, subdomains and textpattern. On the subdomain install, with permalinks set to messy there was no problem, all links worked fine, but set to any other format, i got 500 internal server errors for any post. I tried changing the htaccess mod rewrite rule but couldn’t get it working.

I’ve never needed to change anything in .htaccess to get clean URLs working on subdomains. But of course it can be a server setting.

If you care to help, based on this FAQ:
http://textpattern.com/faq/66/404-error-when-linking-to-article-pages

what should I put in the htaccess instead of this?

#RewriteBase /relative/web/path/

Is the subdomain in reality also a subdirectory? Like the files for sub.domain.com are in /domain.com/sub/? In that case I’d try RewriteBase /sub/. (But I must add that I’m not very good with rewrite rules…)

Edit: I guess you’d better skip this post and read Gocom’s next one instead ;)

Board footer