Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-10-28 11:04:00

KimberleyEvans

People can't download my PDFs, taken to homepage instead.

Hi
I’m hoping someone can please help with two issues regarding downloading PDFs from my site. When I uploaded all six PDFs, I ticked the ‘requires registration to download’ box. When I look at each file it says: FILE STATUS: Ok and STATUS: Live. The webpage is: http://www.abacusalliance.com/news-events/events/264/

PROBLEM ONE:
Only one of the PDFs has the title next to it (Download file: Michelle Mahoney, MarketReach.pdf) whilst the others just say ‘Download file: Login or access the file here’
I need each file to have the correct name next to it, so my customers can see which event speaker presentation to download.

PROBLEM TWO:
If I click on the ‘Download file: Login or access the file here’ I’m taken back to the homepage and nothing happens. But if I click on ‘Download file: Michelle Mahoney, MarketReach.pdf’ it opens straight away with the option to open or save.

Can someone please tell me what I need to do to fix these two problems? I’m confused because they all uploaded fine and each one has the same status.

Thanks very much in advance, your help is much appreciated!

Kimberley

#2 2013-10-28 12:44:49

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Re: People can't download my PDFs, taken to homepage instead.

Hi Kimberley

To understood what you are doing we need some extra info!

The required registration step tels me that you are using some plugins to handle that, which one?

The links “url” takes you to a section called file-register what is the coede that handle that section.

I think the file that is correctley displayed is the one that you havent ticked the “require registration”

Cheers

#3 2013-10-28 13:46:23

KimberleyEvans

Hi Dragondz

Thanks for your reply!

I’m using Textpattern 4.2.0 and below is a list of the plugins (in brackets the person and version too)

So do I need to upgrade my softaware/plugins?

Thanks so much for your help!

Kim

adi_variables ( Adi Gilbert 0.1 )

chh_if_data (Coke Harrington 0.10 )

gbp_admin_library ( Graeme Porteous 0.4.669 )

gbp_permanent_links (Graeme Porteous 0.14.7 )

hak_tinymce ( Patrick Woods 0.7.4 )

ign_password_protect ( Jeremy Amos 0.5b4 )

mem_form ( Michael Manfre 0.6 )

mem_self_register (Michael Manfre 0.9.1 )

rah_metas ( Jukka Svahn 1.1 )

smd_parent ( Stef Dawson 0.1 )

stm_article_order ( Stanislav Müller 0.2 )

upm_file ( Mary Fredborg 0.4.1 )

zem_rewrite ( Threshold State 0.6 )

#4 2013-10-28 13:48:32

KimberleyEvans

Oh sorry, just to add, I have ticked the ‘requires download’ box for all of them now.

Thanks again,

Kim

#5 2013-10-28 13:51:10

KimberleyEvans

I also should have added what each pulg in does! In the same order as above:

Thanks!

Kim

Manage TXP variables
Show a block of text only if enclosed Txp tags produce some output.
GBP’s Admin-Side Library
Custom permanent links rules
A TinyMCE based WYSIWYG editor
Password protect articles or sections; authenticates against txp_users or alternate database (ign_users)
A library plugin that provides support for html forms.
User self registration. Read the help to install.
Outputs simple metas and prevents double content
A txp:category/cat1/cat2 extension with parent options
With my new Textpattern plugin you can manipulate the order of your articles and put them in different sections – by simply using Drag & Drop!
Associate single or multiple files with an article.
Configurable clean URLs

#6 2013-10-28 13:56:28

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Hi

There some plugins that can have given the problem you mentionned but before doing anything can you tell us if the website worked correctly before and then you got this trouble or this is the first time you try this operation?

#7 2013-10-28 14:23:12

KimberleyEvans

Hi

This function worked before today. We recently had our server updated, would this cause problems? If yes, shall I contact our server supplier?

Thanks,

Kim

#8 2013-10-28 14:32:33

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

KimberleyEvans wrote:

This function worked before today. We recently had our server updated, would this cause problems? If yes, shall I contact our server supplier?

Some old plugins were made for earlier versions of php and they break when new php is installed. It is recommended that you always keep the server and your site’s software up to date. We might be able to help you with the lost functionality of the old plugins either by suggesting native tags or other plugins.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#9 2013-10-28 14:34:29

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

The problem is surely came after the upgrade, textpattern itself is working wright but i think plugin like gdp_permanent_link can cause this kind of problem but i never used it, before making change dont forget to make a backup of you DB to prevent big trouble.

You can first go to admin pref and put your website under debugging mode and then refrech your browser to see your website, if no error is displayed on top of the site look at the source and copy/past here the debugging information you will find at the end of source.

After the backup you can try to disable gdp_permant_link and gdp_library to see if that solve the problem!

#10 2013-10-28 15:01:46

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

It seems that most of the plugins there are outdated. What txp version are you using?

Also I forgot to welcome you to the forum. Welcome!

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#11 2013-10-28 15:28:21

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

It certainly looks as if a plugin is misbehaving after server upgrade. It’s unlikely to be Textpattern itself, although 4.2.0 is quite old now and we would highly recommend you upgrade for security’s sake. The behaviour will depend on what tags and features are in use, so I wouldn’t rule it out if your site is using, say, the <txp:yield> tag.

As Dragondz says, putting your site in Debugging or Testing mode will most likely help to pinpoint the problem. If I was a betting man, I’d say it’s either gbp_permanent_links or zem_rewrite. Your URL structure is not always a standard Textpattern built-in pattern, so there is likely to be some gbp_permanent_links magic going on. And something must be trying to interpret the ?s=file-register&s_url=1&f_id=115&f_name=Abacus.pdf URL to do something with it (looks like to get the user to register), but is failing to redirect you to the right place, which is why you see the home page.

If it does turn out to be gbp_permanent_links, one of the plugin’s options is to turn debugging on. That throws a heap of information into the top of the page (View Source to see it) and can help to figure out why particular links are failing.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#12 2013-10-28 15:35:12

KimberleyEvans

Hi everyone

Thanks so much for your help! Really sorry I’m a total beginner with TextPattern because I took over from someone else who left no notes other than the password :-(

Can someone please tell me how to do the debugging?

Thanks again

Kim

Board footer