Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#97 2013-11-06 06:49:37

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: Eventual forum upgrade plan

colak wrote:

There’s another issue which is the mods to manage the database. Especially the User management one which helps us delete 1000s of (possibly bot registered) users/month (I just deleted 1800).

We’ve written scripts that clear the database automatically. Both month old users that haven’t logged in, and spammers on the first login if they weren’t flagged and blocked during registration.

#98 2013-11-06 06:53:28

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Gocom wrote:

We’ve written scripts that clear the database automatically. Both month old users that haven’t logged in, and spammers on the first login if they weren’t flagged and blocked during registration.

Jukka, you’ll make the admin jobs redundant. I’ll call for a union meeting on you:)

Seriously now. I guess you mean “month old users that haven’t logged in posted anything.”

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#99 2013-11-06 07:15:22

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

colak wrote:

Seriously now. I guess you mean “month old users that haven’t logged in posted anything.”

I mean logged in; we can’t just go killing off random lurker accounts that are in use. Removing someones account without any reason will offend the user. For instance, I registered July 2006, but I did my second post over a year later; in July 2007. During 2006 I only posted a single link.

I hope you neither are deleting random accounts that haven’t posted anything, but only those that have never logged in or are actually clearly spammers.

I may later on add more clean up rules, but they will be very strict about what they do remove. E.g. no posts, two years without log in and found on SFS database. Stop Forum Spam can easily contain false records, so its information must be taken with a grain of salt.

#100 2013-11-06 08:05:07

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’m nearly done at my end. Just got to apply some IE8 fixes, browser test a bit more and squash any glitches that I find. Any other changes can be done post launch, once we start looking at the other brand sites.

So we just need a deployment strategy now.

#101 2013-11-06 08:15:54

els

colak wrote:

Jukka, you’ll make the admin jobs redundant. I’ll call for a union meeting on you:)

Dammit. Let’s go on strike, Yiannis!

#102 2013-11-06 08:37:34

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

philwareham wrote:

So we just need a deployment strategy now.

We have two options;

• The server pulls in the data itself.
  • Or we have build server that then rsync the files.

If we do on the server itself, we will have to install the passive build requirements to the server; git, Node.js, Ruby and Bundler, and either pre-deploy Ruby gems, or use an account that can write gems without having to sudo. Same of course goes for any staging/build server.

That reminds me, Phil, Gemfile shouldn’t be modified unless very much necessary — unlike node modules and composer packages, gems aren’t local to the project. When you update the Gemfile you are altering everyone’s whole system, and requiring that users run manual build tasks as sudo. Modifying package.json and composer.json is whatever, Gemfiles preferably once a year.

For Textpattern websites we can’t not use syncing since plugins and templates are in the freaking DB. We will actually have to change data; either pull out the database and send it back in, or update it locally in temporary database.

I’m probably going to write some sort of script that can be hooked on post-commit, and run pull + rsync, which would mean it can be used both locally and remotely. Probably as a two step process so that you don’t have to give Apache access to git, Node and such.

push <--> git --> post-hook receiver: log commit if tagged release
timed build-tool --> checks log: if new commit --> build --> deploy

Or it could just be timed and directly check the git server.

Last edited by Gocom (2013-11-06 08:54:34)

#103 2013-11-06 08:52:49

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

[forum@textpattern ~]$ which git ruby node bundler gem 
/opt/local/bin/git
/opt/local/bin/ruby
/usr/bin/node
no bundler in /opt/local/bin [...]
no gem in /opt/local/bin /opt/local/sbin [...]
[forum@textpattern ~]$ pkgin avail | grep rubygems
ruby18-rubygems-1.8.24 Ruby standard for publishing and managing third party libraries
ruby19-rubygems-1.8.24 Ruby standard for publishing and managing third party libraries
[forum@textpattern ~]$ pkgin avail | grep bundler
ruby18-bundler-1.1.4 Manage your application's dependencies
ruby19-bundler-1.1.4 Manage your application's dependencies
ruby193-bundler-1.1.4 Manage your application's dependencies

#104 2013-11-06 09:02:51

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

This means the dependencies can be installed on the server? Cool. Means we can deploy within the same user land. For the forum simple shell script should work wonders that runs just the install commands.

#105 2013-11-06 09:03:32

colak
Admin

Gocom wrote:

I mean logged in; we can’t just go killing off random lurker accounts that are in use. Removing someones account without any reason will offend the user. For instance, I registered July 2006, but I did my second post over a year later; in July 2007. During 2006 I only posted a single link.

I hope you neither are deleting random accounts that haven’t posted anything, but only those that have never logged in or are actually clearly spammers.

I may later on add more clean up rules, but they will be very strict about what they do remove. E.g. no posts, two years without log in and found on SFS database. Stop Forum Spam can easily contain false records, so its information must be taken with a grain of salt.

currently we are deleting through a monthly click of a button, all users who registered but not verified their email within a month and all verified users who – within a month – still have zero posts. This keeps the users db kind of manageable. Most ‘cleaning’ happens to verified accounts with zero posts. Today, out of the 1800, 1600 were those. I updated the rules of the forum to warn people of that. Any user with at least one legit post remains in the db.

Yiannis
——————————

#106 2013-11-06 09:04:38

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Gocom wrote:

This means the dependencies can be installed on the server?

Apparently. No rvm, though.

But we run no other Ruby app I am aware of so any Ruby dependencies are rather theoretical.

#107 2013-11-06 09:10:33

colak
Admin

Els wrote:

Dammit. Let’s go on strike, Yiannis!

Count me in!:)

Last edited by colak (2013-11-07 06:00:23)

Yiannis
——————————

#108 2013-11-06 20:24:24

els

colak wrote:

currently we are deleting through a monthly click of a button, all users who registered but not verified their email within a month and all verified users who – within a month – still have zero posts.

Er… I am deleting users who haven’t verified their account within three days, and those who have never posted and haven’t logged in in 90 days…

Count me in!:)

Er… again; trying to figure out that one…

Board footer