Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#73 2013-10-17 23:14:36

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: Eventual forum upgrade plan

philwareham wrote:

I don’t see that happening in truth unless there is a large upswing in users, but it’s an option.

Changes may not be very high. Russians do have their own relatively large community, if that’s anything.

#74 2013-11-02 22:03:32

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’m hoping to get the new look forums live in about a weeks time baring any unforeseen circumstances, just got some styling work and a bit of content to finish off. No doubt there’ll need to be a few tweaks needed here and there once it’s running.

We’ll also need to sift through the various sticky topics and see which ones are still relevant and contain current info (that can be done after it’s live though).

#75 2013-11-03 08:48:59

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

There is one small thing I detected on mobiles and this forum. “Show new posts since last visit” and “Mark all topics as read” are too close together for fat fingers. Is there a way to position them further apart, given that their functions are so incompatible with one another? I would for example position “Mark all topics as read” somewhere at the bottom of the page or take it out all together as by the following visit, the “unread” posts disappear anyway.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#76 2013-11-03 10:10:44

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

colak wrote:

There is one small thing I detected on mobiles and this forum. “Show new posts since last visit” and “Mark all topics as read” are too close together for fat fingers.

That has been resolved in the new designs. Here is a sneak peek of the new designs running on my local box.

#77 2013-11-03 10:53:40

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

philwareham wrote:

That has been resolved in the new designs. Here is a sneak peak of the new designs running on my local box.

yummy:)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#78 2013-11-03 17:32:30

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

philwareham wrote:

That has been resolved in the new designs. Here is a sneak peek of the new designs running on my local box.

Nice work.

The main navigation and header, that not how TXP.com is going to look like, right? That’s just a quick blueprint?

As topic views go, the reply headers have no value; they are not set by the post author, there is no subject option for replies. FluxBB itself defaults hiding them too. I would make the actual breadcrumb the main heading for the topic and hide the sub headings, concentrating on reducing space around each post.

The tabs make me think of Firefox’s Aurora project. As with it, the corners don’t look that good.

On forum view, each topic takes two lines of space, but the second line has nothing on it other than the posters name. Those could as well be on the same line. Would make the reply and view number look better too.

Last edited by Gocom (2013-11-03 17:37:22)

#79 2013-11-03 18:25:24

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

OK, I’ve taken the <br> out before poster names, which keeps them on the same line now if space allows.

Also, tweaked the radii on those tabs.

The whole reply headings thing – I’m not going to subvert the breadcrumbs to achieve this, it’s a ‘feature’ of FluxBB’s markup being at fault (they’ve neglected to provide a main topic heading). I can hide the heading in all but the first post using the following code (but I don’t really want to, as on any page after the first you won’t see a heading)…

.postright {
    > h3 {
        display: none;
    }
    .firstpost & > h3 {
        display: block;
    }
}

…personally, I think the topic headings are bearable as they are – if someone comes into a thread halfway down the page they’ll know what the subject is.

Yes, that’s fairly close how the final navigation and header are going to look on Textpattern.com, why? It looks plain, yes, but that’s the point – the interesting flourishes will be in the main body area not the header. The more styled everything becomes the more maintenance is needed and the less I’m interested in being involved with it.

Last edited by philwareham (2013-11-04 08:48:48)

#80 2013-11-04 14:53:58

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

philwareham wrote:

Here is a sneak peek of the new designs running on my local box.

That looks really good, Phil. How much do I owe you?

#81 2013-11-04 19:13:35

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

philwareham wrote:

Pretty!

Few things I noticed:
  • Repeating the topic title in each post is a waste of space. The topic title is already visible in the page title and in the breadcrumbs.
  • The links at the bottom of each post: There’s a “|” missing between Edit and Quote. Where did the “Move” link go? Is it possible to move these links to the top of the post, where the post number is?
  • Is it necessary to show that a user is a member? Non-members cannot post, so al posters are members.
  • Is it necessary to show that an IP is logged? Does that deter spammers or trolls?
  • User ranking (lambda and such) and number of posts are the same thing. The same thing applies to registration date as well. All three are indications of how trustworthy a user is. No point in showing all three. I’d leave just the ranking as it is in the current forums.
  • Can the facebook/G+/twitter links be moved to the right of the breadcrumbs? Saves some vertical space.
  • Compared to the old forum, “known languages” is missing. Is that because we assume that all users speak english?
  • The “real name” is missing as well, which I don’t mind. Because then I don’t have to choose between the real name and the forum name when replying :)
  • And the most important of all… WE NEED MORE YELLOW! ;)

#82 2013-11-04 19:39:16

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@ruud

Jukka and I have done further work on the layout today that has addressed some of your points already.

Also, some of those other features may have been mods (i.e. the known languages one, I guess) – the new forum uses a completely vanilla version of FluxBB with no modification. That also limits where things appear on page since we won’t be hacking the HTML at all. We hide bits with CSS where they are not essential and where they give us the hooks to do so.

There will not be any more yellow. I’ve kept a bit here and there for history but you won’t be seeing a flood of yellow in any of the new designs.

#83 2013-11-04 22:41:20

mrdale
Website

retaining textile functionality I hope. I hate BBcode

#84 2013-11-04 22:48:19

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Yep, Jukka has put Textile 3.5 on the new forum, so business will continue as normal.

Board footer