Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-09-24 14:41:22

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

Netvibes feed subscribers: "Nice try."

Has anyone else seen this? I just got a report from a subscriber to our feed who uses Netvibes, who said that when she tries to click through from our feed to view the article on the site, she sees Textpattern’s “Nice try” message instead of the article.

I signed up for a Netvibes account to confirm the bug, and it happens for me too. I see that Netvibes appends a bunch of parameters to the URL, so I cut the URL parameters and confirmed that the request works with zero, one, two, and three of the parameters, but not four.

I had a hunch that the long URLs were triggering the problem, and this was supported by trying to use shorter values in the URL parameters. So I changed my “Maximum URL length” setting under “Advanced Preferences” to 250, which seems to have solved the problem for now.

I’m afraid that this is only a temporary fix, until one of the site editors posts an article with a longer title. Is there any way to get Textpattern to allow for longer URLs for URL parameters, without opening up the throttle on article URL titles too?

Thanks!

#2 2013-09-24 15:37:27

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Netvibes feed subscribers: "Nice try."

You could point your editors at this advice from Google regarding SEO and long URLs – that might help you out on the practicality front and make your 250 character limit more of a solution.

#3 2013-09-25 09:50:58

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: Netvibes feed subscribers: "Nice try."

You can lift the maximum URL length to say 500 or thousand characters without causing troubles. This should practically suffice for even the most verbose titles.

Board footer