Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-09-19 00:54:39

duraid

Premium themes

Hi,

I’m new to TextPattern and this is my first post. I want to build a multi-author magazine news site and I chose TextPattern because I think it’s easier to maintain and extend on the longer run, the thing I don’t think is true with WordPress. I’m a programmer (not php though) so I think TXP is a better fit.

However Wordpress has beautiful themes that I can’t seem to find for TextPattern. The themes I saw for TextPattern are basic. I’m looking for something like this: http://designerthemes.com/preview/?theme=reporter

What are my options?

1. Hopefully somewhere there are premium themes for TextPattern that I can just install (best choice because I don’t have a lot of time).
2. I’m comfortable with html/css (not a designer though) so I can download a wordpress theme and change it to TextPattern.
3. Download a generic html theme (not word press) and change it to TextPattern because I heard TextPattern gives full control over the html/css.

Based on your experience what is the best strategy?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2013-09-19 02:40:44

jstubbs
Website

Re: Premium themes

Welcome to Textpattern! Will you be using a framework for developing your site (Foundation, Bootstrap…)?

As you mentioned, its easy enough to use whatever HTML markup you want, so your #3 would be quite simple, but you’d need TXP tags in the markup to access your content.

There aren’t a lot of “premium” themes but that’s partly because Textpattern is a tool for developers and designers rather than end users. Its not a select and install system – you have complete control over all aspects of the output on screen which is perfect for developers.

The templates that are currently available are quite easy to adapt. If you are using Foundation or another framework, you’d need to get that installed first as the markup for each framework is different.

If you wanted to use Reporter for your design, I would guess that you should be able to change it relatively easily.

#3 2013-09-19 13:50:18

duraid

Thanks Jonathan. I’m not planning to use a framework because I’m not good at building html layouts from scratch and also because I want to save time.

I think #3 is the best option and hopefully and I can get up to speed with txp tags quickly.

If you know a resource that offers quality vanila html templates please let me know.

Thanks.

#4 2013-09-19 15:29:42

uli

duraid wrote:

If you know a resource that offers quality vanila html templates please let me know.

I’ve not used any templates yet, but as far as I know Stuart aka thebombsite it’s safe to assume that he’s baked in some quality in his themes, and as you mention neither Textgarden nor Protextthemes I link his magazine templates here.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

Board footer