Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-04-01 18:20:10

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Compose a plugin on demand

Dear txp gods,

what would be the best way to automatically compose and compress a plugin on the fly according to user request? I think of including/excluding some calendars in etc_date via, say, html form.

Thank you.

#2 2013-04-01 19:45:01

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Compose a plugin on demand

The plugin composer plugin does this doesn’t it? Take a look at how?

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#3 2013-04-01 20:36:26

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

MattD wrote:

The plugin composer plugin does this doesn’t it? Take a look at how?

That’s what I had to think of, indeed (c’mon, boy, it’s only 3000 lines of code :). It looks like ied_plugin_save_as_file function contains all plugin ingredients.

Thanks, Matt!

#4 2013-04-02 08:33:01

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

I’m mostly through technicalities now, but need your advice on conceptual questions: how such customizable plugins should be designed? How to store the main “template” and the pluggable “components” (calendars): as deactivated plugins, as files or something else? How to integrate it with plugin composer for easy testing? Is such a thing interesting at all?

#5 2013-04-03 08:53:30

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

If you really wanted to do this I’d be tempted to store each plugin code (.php) as a Txp file and each help text in Textile format as a .textile file. Outside document root of course (fwiw I have a plugin for that called smd_remote_file. The new — not yet publicly available — version I’ve written and had working successfully on sites allows you to store “secure” files inside your Txp filesystem out of docroot, and manage them all from Txp’s Files panel. If you’d like a copy, just let me know).

Anyway, if you have say:

• /some/non-docroot/path/to/etc_date_v0.20.php
  • /some/non-docroot/path/to/etc_date_v0.20.textile

Then there’s nothing to stop you setting up a Page template that has the plugin template in it, like the one in ied_plugin_save_as_file.

If your URL was site.com/plugin/create?plugin=etc_date&version=0.20 then you could extract that URL var, sanitize it and at suitable places in your page template fetch the content of the file to put between the # BEGIN PLUGIN CODE and # BEGIN PLUGIN HELP markers. Once you have that bit done, a few lines of PHP at the end of the Page template could set the correct mime header and serve the file either as a PHP file or it could chunk_split / base64_encode / gzip as required and serve the compressed / text version. Again, those parameters could be supplied in the URL site.com/plugin/create?plugin=etc_date&version=0.20&as_text=1&zip=1.

Sky’s the limit :-) I could probably build this feature into Composer if it was generally useful.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#6 2013-04-03 14:06:10

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Many thanks for your advice, Stef, much appreciated. Yes, that’s the way I’d go, but if you have time/interest for it, this is the solution I prefer, and by far:

I could probably build this feature into Composer if it was generally useful.

That would be great, but challenging (hehe)! Pluggable calendars is a natural usecase. Another one I can think of is rah_unlog_me: it could be served in admin or admin+public flavors following the selected options. Are there other cases – that’s a part of the question.

Well, if we assume it’s worth doing – how would you do it? I guess, there would be no Page template anymore, you’d rather make it part of plugin development process. Does it mean you have to introduce some $plugin['template'] field for development, and use plugin['code'] for distribution? Should you also add some $plugin['components'] field to store the list of admissible URL vars and create corresponding checkboxes for easier testing?

Anyway, you’ve got already a first supporter/tester for this, hopefully not last. :)

#7 2013-04-03 16:45:13

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote:

if we assume it’s worth doing – how would you do it? I guess, there would be no Page template anymore, you’d rather make it part of plugin development process.

Not really thought it through, but wouldn’t a tag suffice?

<txp:ied_plugin name="etc_date" version="0.20" zip="1" text="1" />

That would go and fetch the values for the given plugin name+version, fit them into the template, set the template attributes and then return the plugin as a .php template file or (compressed) .txt file. The tag could be used on public pages and also from the admin side if you used something like smd_tabber.

Therefore, how you plug the values into the tag is up to you: from the results of a form, adi_gps, from the URL / direct from a hyperlink, from AJAX, etc. You could choose to embed it in a Page template and set the mime types accordingly to serve the content as a download or display it on the page or in a textarea or whatever. There might be scope for having the ied_plugin tag optionally set the relevant mime types, content-disposition and content-length for you (maybe?)

Would that work? Any further/better ideas?

Last edited by Bloke (2013-04-03 16:46:38)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#8 2013-04-03 19:37:36

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

It looks great, save for testing facility. Currently, when you save a plugin, it is immediately available. Here, you have to go on the public side (or to smd_tabber tab), fill out a form, grab the plugin and install it. Would it be possible to make it work the good old way?

#9 2013-04-03 20:11:43

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote:

It looks great, save for testing facility. Currently, when you save a plugin, it is immediately available. Here, you have to go on the public side (or to smd_tabber tab), fill out a form, grab the plugin and install it. Would it be possible to make it work the good old way?

I’m afraid you’ve lost me :-s

Your opening post asked about composing and compressing a plugin on the fly from a user request , a.k.a. the public side, right? If the composer had a public tag, you could do that, yes?

If you want to compose and export a plugin you have written, you use the admin side tools to create / upload it, write the help docs and export it in a variety of formats using the direct links on the Plugin List panel or under the ‘Distribution’ group at the bottom of the Edit panel (the things you see here in the interface are configurable from the plugin’s Setup panel).

Once you have composed the plugin and have set the “enabled” checkbox from Composer’s interface then yes it is immediately ‘available’ (active, running). The tag could have an attribute to only output ‘enabled’ plugins if that would help? I guess also a <txp:ied_plugin_list> tag might be handy so you can list certain types of plugin and output various bits of info about them.

But I’m not quite sure I follow your logic here so I’ve probably missed something obvious. What do you mean by a testing facility? And what is it exactly you are trying to achieve that the Composer doesn’t currently do?

Last edited by Bloke (2013-04-03 20:13:03)

#10 2013-04-03 20:45:13

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

I was not clear enough, sorry. Suppose that we write some date-related plugin, that includes various calendars, like this:

... main code ...

function calendar1 (...) {...} // Hijri calendar

function calendar2 (...) {...} //US holidays

function calendar3 (...) {...} // Jalali calendar

Now, a typical user wont need all these calendars at once (and they could be many). So, the idea was to let him choose the ones he needs, by sending a request like ?plugin=etc_date&calendar[]=hijri&calendar[]=jalali, and compose a plugin on the fly, including only the required functions.

How would <txp:ied_plugin /> do it? We could create a plugin template in the spirit of

... main code ...

//# IF REQUEST hijri function calendar1 (...) {...} // Hijri calendar

//# IF REQUEST us_holidays function calendar2 (...) {...} //US holidays

//# IF REQUEST jalali function calendar3 (...) {...} // Jalali calendar

and then process it with <txp:ied_plugin /> to generate the code

... main code ...

function calendar1 (...) {...} // Hijri calendar

function calendar3 (...) {...} // Jalali calendar

that will be delivered to the user as (zipped, php, etc) plugin. Is that what you meant?

#11 2013-04-03 22:19:35

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Yikes, conditional compilation. That’s a bit heavier than I anticipated from the OP!

I now see where you’re going with this, thanks for the clarification. But I can’t immediately see a neat way of offering that functionality from the Composer itself. In your case it might be fairly simple as long as each calendar is a standalone block and there are no references to them from other parts of the code. I assume these are public tags, yes? But in other use cases there may be internal references that would break code if parts were omitted so this really is up to the developer to make sure all possible modules work both independently and in combination.

Something like this starts moving into the realm of bundled content, like jQuery UI where you can pick and choose which bits of the API you need. That in turn brings about the notion of ‘packages’ and ‘dependencies’ which is something the old skool plugin template format does not currently support.

One way might be to introduce such a dependency paradigm and have the plugins as separate ‘modules’ — essentially different files — that can be clumped together into a single download. I know Jukka was thinking about multi-install plugins but in this case it’s not very clean because they’re all actually part of one plugin so you don’t want the user to see 2, 3, 4, 5, 6… different plugins in their database based on their chosen options.

The other way is with special markers in the code that wrap or somehow delineate conditional blocks; a bit like you suggest. The various parts could only be included in the final output if some incoming data stream matched the marker. Then of course there’s what to do with documentation for omitted functions(!). And how to handle this in an OOP environment.

I don’t really know at the moment if this sort of thing is broadly useful given our current template format. Perhaps if the structure of plugins was improved with proper meta data associated with each and maybe bundled folders of plugin code and docs, then it might be useful. But then part of Textpattern’s plugin appeal is that each one is a simple block of text that can be treated and served as text and installed. Any improvements to the format should not do so at the expense of making things massively more complicated for the end user.

Last edited by Bloke (2013-04-03 22:21:27)

#12 2013-04-04 08:59:39

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Conditional compilation – oh yeah! – sounds great. I had no clear idea about the way to choose for calendars distribution (include them in the main plugin? make them library plugins? other?) in the OP. This conditional thing came from your replies, though we thought of not exactly the same stuff. :) I realize that’s a big and, probably, unnecessary move, but anyway:

• it should extend, but not break the current format;
  • plugins are under developers responsibility: if you don’t need/understand this compiling directives – don’t use them;
  • dependency/metadata looks like much too big move, but I am too ignorant to judge;
  • special markers seem to be the most straightforward way, but could be too limited.

Maybe, we should wait for feedback from plugins authors, to see if conditional compilation could be useful. Hopefully, the topic is clearer now from your explanations.

Thank you again!

Board footer