Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2013-03-18 19:35:34

hilaryaq
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Help choosing CSS framework

I don’t use any framework for responsive design.. It’s so easy though, you just use media queries to swap your style sheet. I only provide mobile versions for 320px or 480px or less, there is some min width code which will render your main style sheet perfectly for tablets, which I feel are high res enough to use the desktop version, nothing I hate more than having a mobile link stretch across the full width of an ipad so that’s kind of a personal choice.. I have a blog post here with some code but feel free to nab anything from the source code, my most recent site using this method is obrmaintenance.ie, generally you’re just wanting to make the site one col, control image size, make nav links clickable, but you can have custom icons for osx if people add a web page to their home screen that are quite cute.. I don’t know I feel like using a framework is overkill I don’t even pull in outsourced ie fixes but just implement my own so I know exactly how much code I’m running and that there’s nothing unnecessary in there!

Last edited by hilaryaq (2013-03-18 19:38:56)

…………………
I <3 txp
…………………

#14 2013-03-18 19:37:31

hilaryaq
Plugin Author
Website

Also em’s are big for font sizing and padding, and avoid some box model nastiness for desktop too, so it’s kind of concentrating on using em’s and percentages where possible..

…………………
I <3 txp
…………………

#15 2013-03-19 22:17:33

gour

hilaryaq wrote:

I don’t use any framework for responsive design..

After reading more about the subject I understand that the question whether to use framework A or B is quite stupid. :-(

The more correct one would be what type of framework is more suitable to work with within the field of Textpattern:

• monolithic one (like Foundation) offering many UI elements or
  • more simple one like some of those recommended by other users

Moreover, I like the idea of using SASS/Compass in order to achieve better separation of the presentation from the content, iow. to get better semantic markup, so I wonder if using some framework like Susy advertised as “Responsive grids for Compass.” is more suitable solution when working on “design for Textpattern”.

I can understand the merits of using “no framework”, but I believe I’m too inexperienced to start from the scratch and achieve some some quickly enough. :-)

Any tip?

#16 2013-03-21 17:31:53

spacewalk

michaelkpate wrote:

I’ve been playing around with some of the designs from HTML5 Up that are based around 5grid.

Those are pretty nice designs at HTML5 Up. Thanks for mentioning them. Any examples of TXP integration you’d like to share?

#17 2013-03-23 02:48:37

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote:

Anyway, I use griddle for my grid system which doesn’t have that problem. We use griddle in Textpattern 4.6 too.

As you found out recently, Griddle is quite a bit sensitive to font-metrics. I’ve been using a variant on it for quite a while that hasn’t given me problems so far on any platform (although Windows 8 tablets are still in doubt for the simple reason we don’t know anybody who has such a tablet). Here is a demo. See the source for details.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#18 2013-03-23 15:16:06

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

spacewalk wrote:

Those are pretty nice designs at HTML5 Up. Thanks for mentioning them. Any examples of TXP integration you’d like to share?

Not just yet but I want to use the first one for my personal website so it isn’t too far off. I just need a little bit of free time. :)

#19 2013-04-27 01:41:13

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

This flexbox based framework sounds interesting, with –at first sight– good fallback up to IE 8. I haven’t fully tested yet, assessment is based on reading the docs.

(via Bruce Lawson’s reading list)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#20 2013-04-27 07:18:09

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

So flexbox is finally useable huh? Going to check it out now, thanks.

#21 2013-04-27 08:36:45

RedFox
Website

I’m using The Goldilocks Approach for two years now, because it’s flexible and still very basic; the same (more or less) qualities Textpattern has … :)
But the devs are very busy (Typecast) so there hasn’t been an update for a long time. This thread gives some fuel to decide which system will be next. Bootstrap and Foundation have far to much code to make simple sites the easy way. So I’m happy with all suggested recommendations, because I didn’t know them.

#22 2013-08-04 09:32:49

RedFox
Website

“Scalability with REMs and unit-less line heights” > Cardinal looks promising too! Now I need a new client to investigate one of the remaining three: Cardinal, ptb/flexgrid or skelJS … ;-)

[Edit]
I’ve a new client … :) … but there are so many (new) grids (see next post) … maybe I’ll stick to my old one.

Last edited by RedFox (2013-09-07 08:46:08)

#23 2013-09-07 08:41:05

RedFox
Website

New kid on the block (successor to 960.gs) > Unsemantic … from Nathan Smith … all %%

#24 2013-09-07 09:12:34

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

hey 960 was my favourite framework. I’ll definitely look into this. Thanks Joop.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

Board footer