Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-02-09 07:22:49

jstubbs
Website

PageSpeed, caching, Cloudflare and other site speedup methods

Just wondering what other community members use to improve the loading and caching of their sites. Google PageSpeed is a very useful diagnostic tool and I just noticed that Google is now offering a PageSpeed service.

Other useful tools:

1. Yahoo SmushIt for compressing images
  2. cssmin.js for minifying JS/CSS
  3. YUI Compressor for minifying CSS (there was a plugin for Coda but it no longer seems to work)

What tools do you use for site optimisation? Cloudflare seems very useful but I am unaware if sites using their services are actually that much faster.

Are TXP plugins such as asy_jpcache still in use?

Views and thoughts on this topic very welcome.

#2 2013-02-09 09:25:56

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: PageSpeed, caching, Cloudflare and other site speedup methods

That small plugin site Rah uses compilation of rah_cache and rah_minify. Wheres the two plugins take benefit from services and libraries such as Closure compiler and Túbal Martín’s PHP port of YUI CSS compressor. Client side scripts are loaded using $script.js, and served from Google’s Library servers where possible.

Last edited by Gocom (2013-02-09 09:26:43)

#3 2013-02-09 10:02:12

jstubbs
Website

Ah, never saw those two plugins Jukka as there are not listed on your plugins site. Cool! Have been testing Cloudflare recently on one site and its actually very good since they handle many of the tasks mentioned – automatic CDN, minifying static content etc in addition to providing an extra security barrier.

One aspect I’m looking into is the caching of Flickr images since on one site I have many images being served by the old vdh_flickr plugin. Haven’t come across a solution for that yet, Cloudflare doesn’t cache Flickr images as I understand it.

#4 2013-02-09 13:32:07

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

The mod_pagespeed apache module works well too if you have the access to your server

#5 2013-02-09 15:17:56

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

jstubbs wrote:

Ah, never saw those two plugins Jukka as there are not listed on your plugins site.

Yeah, they are missing from there. Only released, somewhat stable and supported stuff ends up on the site.

#6 2013-02-09 20:54:19

milosevic

Gocom dijo:

That small plugin site Rah uses compilation of rah_cache and rah_minify.

Jukka, a non programer question: I can see the .php, help files, etc at Github.com but, how can I get the traditional txts files to install your plugins on my Textpattern instalation?

Last edited by milosevic (2013-02-09 20:54:37)

<txp:rocks/>

#7 2013-02-09 22:17:07

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

milosevic wrote:

Jukka, a non programer question: I can see the .php, help files, etc at Github.com but, how can I get the traditional txts files to install your plugins on my Textpattern instalation?

Please keep in mind they are non-stable in-development projects; both may lack features and cause all sorts of issues. These two plugins are developer oriented and not very forgiving even. For instance, rah_minify, being a wrapper for the Closure compiler is rather strict about JavaScript validity and may not pear any fruit for anyone, but developers.

That aside, these repositories follow a format that can be compiled into installable plugin packages with the MassPlugCompiler command line tool.

Last edited by Gocom (2013-02-09 22:18:07)

#8 2013-02-09 22:28:46

milosevic

Command line tool …mmm, I think this is not my war then. I will wait to your first public version to try it, thanks a lot!

Last edited by milosevic (2013-02-09 22:29:03)

<txp:rocks/>

#9 2013-02-12 13:16:06

jstubbs
Website

philwareham wrote:

The mod_pagespeed apache module works well too if you have the access to your server

Thanks Phil. Do you have experience with Page Rules on Cloudflare? I’ve entered domain.com/textpattern/* to turn off all Cloudflare apps as per this help page. Has it worked for you?

#10 2013-02-12 13:40:49

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

jstubbs wrote:

One aspect I’m looking into is the caching of Flickr images since on one site I have many images being served by the old vdh_flickr plugin. Haven’t come across a solution for that yet, Cloudflare doesn’t cache Flickr images as I understand it.

A partial solution would be to prefetch them by the browser, it makes things look faster.

#11 2013-02-12 14:40:23

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@jstubbs

I’m actually testing Cloudflare at the moment on a Drupal site, and I’d be keen to use it on a Textpattern site too in future.

Looking at their docs, this page rule would probably work if you need to disable Cloudflare apps in the Textpattern admin side:

*domain.com/textpattern*

#12 2013-02-12 14:44:14

jstubbs
Website

You are probably right, maybe I misread the following

You can make rules more flexible by including wildcards with the * character. For example, if you wanted the pattern to match all four of the above URLs, you could use a pattern like:
*example.com/admin*

Last edited by jstubbs (2013-02-12 14:44:42)

Board footer