Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-01-02 22:33:31

protennisjobs

Article Expiration = Deletion from database?

Hello. I manage a popular employment directory that is running off of Textpattern · 4.4.1.

The website was developed by an experienced textpattern developer, of which I am not. I have been extremely pleased with the easy of use and functionality.

My only issue so far is all my postings (articles) automatically delete from the database when they expire. While I do need them to be removed from the front end upon expiration, I would still like a record of expired posts on the backend, so I can access them and republish if ever needed.
Furthermore, would it be possible to allow website users to access their expired postings from their account to re-post if needed?

Any direction on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ty

#2 2013-01-02 22:55:43

uli

Re: Article Expiration = Deletion from database?

protennisjobs wrote:

My only issue so far is all my postings (articles) automatically delete from the database when they expire.

Please post a list of your active plugins: Got to Admin > Diagnostics, scroll down until you find “Active plugins”, and copy only that section.

Edit: BTW, are you really sure they’re deleted, not only hidden from public display?

Furthermore, would it be possible to allow website users to access their expired postings from their account to re-post if needed?

Yes.

Last edited by uli (2013-01-02 22:59:36)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#3 2013-01-02 23:04:25

protennisjobs

Hello Uli. Thanks for your prompt response.

Active plugins: zem_contact_reborn-4.0.3.20m, zem_contact_lang-4.0.3.6, csb_if_newer_than-1.0, soo_if_frontpage-0.1.8, mem_moderation-0.7.4m, ign_password_protect-0.5b7m, mem_moderation_article-0.7.6m, mem_admin_parse-0.2.1, upm_image-0.6.2, upm_img_popper-1.3.7m, rvm_css-0.6, mem_moderation_image-0.7.6m, mem_snoooz-0.2, glz_custom_fields-1.2.4, arc_twitter-1.0.4, rvm_plugin_diff-0.2, mem_form-0.7m, smd_where_used-0.30, wet_quicklink-0.7, wet_peex-0.4, msd_admin_datepicker-0.6, wet_haystack-0.6
Admin-side theme: classic 4.4.1

#4 2013-01-02 23:34:31

protennisjobs

Just found an archived email from the developers from when I asked him about this a while back. Thought it might help (copied below):

“The removal of expired articles was handled by a cron job script that checked for articles that had expired according to the glz_custom_7 field (date of expiry, set either by the user or Admin). See the below conversation I had with the developer of the mem_ plugins you referred to:

> 3. Expiration process – what I do currently is use a cron script that checks if an article has expired according to the glz custom_7 field (date). If expired, the script deleted the article. It runs once per day. I host with Joyent and running crons is easy. Is this the method you refer to?
>
>> Whenever anyone views the moderation queue, it will delete any articles that have custom_7 date in the past or the txp Expires field is in the past. All article images will also get deleted.”

#5 2013-01-03 00:31:43

jstubbs
Website

As the message implies, the articles are deleted (along with any associated images) when the moderation page is accessed. The mem_moderation plugins control this behavior, so you would need to check the plugin/s to make any changes.

You could check which cron jobs you have running on your site via your web host control panel.

#6 2013-01-03 02:50:51

protennisjobs

Thanks Jonathan. Didn’t want to bother you on this one! Haha. Didnt know you were a mod here.

I have no idea how edit the functionality of the plugin. I see Michael coded that plugin. Do you know if he might be available for me to hire on this and if so can you message me his email if you have it?

Thanks!

#7 2013-01-03 05:23:32

jstubbs
Website

I’ve sent you an email Ty.

Board footer