Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2013-03-05 18:21:12

mrdale
Website

Re: mem plugins with 4.5.x

So anyone up for taking the best ideas from postmaster integration and creating an article (and/or txp-form based) mailer that ties into other services APIs? anyone?

chip, chop, chip! ;)

#38 2013-03-05 19:03:36

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

mrdale wrote:

So anyone up for taking the best ideas from postmaster integration and creating an article (and/or txp-form based) mailer that ties into other services APIs? anyone?

if anybody wishes to take on this challenge, its well enough – but I also think that we should still try to solve the problem of existing subscriber dbs and the legality of moving them on to a public service. I think the postmaster plugin should be offered as an alternative with an additional plugin to that so as to integrate it with external services.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#39 2013-03-05 20:39:02

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

colak wrote:

existing subscriber dbs and the legality of moving them on to a public service.

Is it a public service? You are still the owner of that data and its not being shared by the service with any other parties. As long as you are not collecting passwords or credit cards in the database I can’t see how that is a legal problem?

#40 2013-03-05 21:05:52

dF

3rd party mass-mailers offer free services and attach some logo or ‘send by’ thingy button or whatever. Only paid services sometimes overcome that. We think that looks unprofessional. 3rd party mass-mailers offer nice templates so applying original design in style with the website is a real challenge. Even if that works out at all. 3rd party mass-mailers offer mail-list-security and promise privacy of your subscribers addresses but never at a 100% guaranty. Our subscribers trusted us their address and telling them we hand it over to 3rd party mass-mailer and let him do the job scares off some of our subscribers for sure.
And so I can go on with more arguments to keep sending our newsletter in our own hands, ‘indahouse’ so to say. Maybe I’m talking old fashioned and not of this time of age but as colak said earlier we would like to have a choice.

#41 2013-03-05 21:22:51

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

dF wrote:

we would like to have a choice.

Yes, all very valid reasons to keep it local, and that’s what Jukka was suggesting: a plugin that allows you to keep the publishing workflow in-house and mail out from your own server. Textpattern is a publishing platform after all and creating good looking mailings is a great use of this. But if said plugin had suitable hooks included, it would allow other plugins to offer 3rd party mailout integration for those folk that want it (or if your hoster demands it!)

Last edited by Bloke (2013-03-05 21:23:21)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#42 2013-05-24 15:15:32

dF

Just wondering, might there be any progress or development in this postmaster newsletter plugin so we can mass mail our 2nd newsletter this year?

Board footer