Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2013-03-05 04:00:09

mrdale
Website

Re: mem plugins with 4.5.x

jstubbs wrote:

Just wondering why not simply use a dedicated service like MailChimp or Mailjet for this purpose?

Integration primarily. Being able to send to mailing lists from the write tab, construct online newsletters that also get sent to lists. In fact mail any new peice of site content without needing to visit another service… The drawbacks are deliverability.

I think there’s a “best of both worlds” option too. Tie into a mail service like mailchimp via an API manage lists in textpattern send TXP content from the write tab and take advantage of a service’s deliverability.

#26 2013-03-05 04:38:09

tye
Website

Or how about a plugin which creates the mailout content (with relevant 3rd party mailing list tags) in textpattern, displays a preview so you know it is ok, outputs the code into a textarea so it can be copied into relevant mailing service…. best of both worlds :)

I’ll just dust off my php handbook and see if I can figure out what a foo and a bar is, then I’ll rustle you one up in a jiffy :)

#27 2013-03-05 06:10:28

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Mailchimp is too expensive for us at $30/month as we only send a top of 6 emails/year.

> Edited to add that I’m also not sure of the legality of transferring our subscribers to a third party service.

Last edited by colak (2013-03-05 06:30:33)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#28 2013-03-05 07:54:02

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Hi

I know that mailjet use an api and have plugins for some CMS (like wordpress) then i assume it s possible to create an integration of their services into txp.

Yiannis
Both mailchimp and mailjet have a free account (for mailjet it 6000 mail/month with a max of 1000 mail for one newsletter).

#29 2013-03-05 07:59:03

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

MailChimp is great. Use it a lot.

#30 2013-03-05 09:34:48

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

All good points. Never heard of mailchimp before: another tool to add to the Bat Utility Belt.

I do feel we’re diluting Manfre’s thread though (unless he’s seriously thinking of updating mem_postmaster with all these suggestions) and I feel responsible. Should we split this part of the discussion off somewhere else?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#31 2013-03-05 09:51:20

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Postmark is a great one too, and they have a wonderful API. What I like most about the service is that for once you know that developers behind the service know what they are doing and care about the service, instead of just shipping pretty paint. That, or they are very good at acting.

I for one would recommend implementing any type of newsletter solution as a 3rd-party service integration rather than a standalone mailer, or maybe, even better, as a plugin that is further extendable with plugins, allowing you to change the sending method as needed. The main plugin would provide the interface and means for handling lists, and maybe some type of default delivery mechanism. On top of that, it would have tons of callback events for further extending.

While I could use plugin that integrates with a third-party, I wouldn’t have any type of need for standalone mailer. Where would I send those newsletters from? My array of my own SMTP servers — oh wait, I don’t have that.

You that are planning on sending emails through your hosting provider’s own servers you have gotten access with your VPS or what ever, keep in mind those are either regulated (rate limited, filtered), or blacklisted. All SMTP servers I use allow, give or take, 2000 monthly emails per account at tops. Some less.

#32 2013-03-05 09:56:03

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Gocom wrote:

a plugin that is further extendable with plugins

That’s exactly the approach I’d take if I was ever in the market for needing one of these things. As it stands I’m not and therefore not motivated to write one.

Yet.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#33 2013-03-05 10:00:51

jstubbs
Website

Using Mailjet now and love it.

#34 2013-03-05 10:09:19

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Further to what Jukka said, the mail delivery services (such as MailChimp, StreamSend and Postmark) have also done all the hard work of whitelisting against spam lists and using Sender Policy Framework and whatnot. I think a plugin to these services is much more beneficial than trying to bulk email directly from your own server, so I’d personally prefer to see any plugin efforts directed at that instead of updating mem_postmaster.

In olden days, one of my client sites did use it’s own email transmission system, then the whole server got blacklisted by Hotmail. It was a massive amount of work to get the server trusted again – it’s not worth the pain, really.

#35 2013-03-05 10:25:40

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

jstubbs wrote:

Using Mailjet now and love it.

Good if that is true, but I do hope their service isn’t the same quality as their public PHP API class(es). It raises some questions. The code isn’t very good, or clean.

I truly hope the service doesn’t run from same type of code base. Having a bad public API class doesn’t necessarily mean that, but it is something, and that something isn’t good. Could be the API and classes are outsourced, explaining downgraded quality, but that neither would be a good sign.

Last edited by Gocom (2013-03-05 10:28:47)

#36 2013-03-05 11:42:17

jstubbs
Website

I don’t know about the PHP API, just the service itself which I’ve found to be very good. Am using it for a company which now sends all promotion emails via Mailjet. Works well so far as we can check on the delivery status of the emails and get stats and analytics in real time.

Board footer