Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-12-07 00:03:22

chipotle

Textpattern Solutions book - still relevant?

Hi there. Long long ago* I ran a magazine on Textpattern, which rather quickly crashed and burned (the magazine, that is, not Textpattern). Over the intervening years I’ve tried to think of what to do with that domain, going through ideas involving Django and later Rails, user-submitted archive sits, review sites, probably things I’ve forgotten, and slowly converged on the idea of doing — a magazine. Again. And while I’ve investigated Squarespace, I’m leaning toward doing it with Textpattern again. There are minor grumps I have with even the most recent version but what I loved about it still outweighs all that.

Well, I think it does. See, it’s been so long that I’ve forgotten most of what I used to know, which is the roundabout introduction to the question posed by this subject. I’d like a really good, solid book that’s more of a tutorial book than just the reference manual the wiki seems to be.

But, the Textpattern Solutions book is from 2007. At least five year ago. How much of it is still relevant now? Even the Kindle edition isn’t that cheap (well, by Kindle standards), so I’d like a little bit of guidance.

*Back when Textpattern was still going through its release candidate phases, Dean was still the main developer, and TextDrive was The Place To Be. (Despite having a free account at the reincarnated TextDrive, I’m not sure whether I’m going to take it up for hosting or just stick with my Linode.)

— Watts

#2 2012-12-07 08:59:35

milosevic

Re: Textpattern Solutions book - still relevant?

The book is of course outdated but I think it still a really good guide to start ( or remember as your case) the txp basis.

the main changes for users this years are the adition of the possibilty of use textpattern tags as values for paramns if other tags (uese tags inside other tags) and tha lot of new plugins to simplify your webmaster life a lot.

So I will buy a digital version of the book on your situation.

…and wellcomeback to Textpattern!

<txp:rocks/>

#3 2012-12-07 09:23:32

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’d love to see an updated version of that book (or a new Textpattern book entirely).

#4 2012-12-07 09:36:14

gavnosis
Website

Hi Phil,

…And I’d love to help write one (Mentioned to Bloke only last week). Obviously, I’d have to ask people like you a lot of technical questions… (I’m still wading through 1500 lines of your CSS and feeling a bit intimidated).

For me, a cookbook of common tasks from installation, porting an existing site, adding a contact form, gallery, calendar, secure area etc. would be great – and something which could be good to give to a client (owner) too. I love the format of the latest Book Apart volumes, short and punchy (And with a nice yelow cover)

#5 2012-12-08 00:22:24

bici
Website Mastodon

philwareham wrote:

I’d love to see an updated version of that book (or a new Textpattern book entirely).

Ditto for me. I have asked before about plans for updating the book. I may have even asked this of one of the authors.
Given the many new features and esp. with what is being planned for future releases of TxP that a new or revised book is most welcome.

If not a full book, then a series of well designed tutorials would be very welcome. I think the Tutorials and specialized books that Michael Boyink developed for ExpressionEngine ( http://www.train-ee.com) would also find a ready audience with the textpattern community

I have a sense that sense the more and more folks are starting to discover what TxP can offer, and having tutorials and very good documentation of building a real functional website would fin a receptive audience.

…. texted postive

#6 2012-12-08 16:47:21

moon blake

gavnosis schrieb:

For me, a cookbook of common tasks from installation, porting an existing site, adding a contact form, gallery, calendar, secure area etc. would be great – and something which could be good to give to a client (owner) too. I love the format of the latest Book Apart volumes, short and punchy (And with a nice yelow cover)

Good idea. Some additional thoughts:
I think we already have a beginning of such a cookbook, the FAQ of Textbook, which is underrated, I think. Most of the again and again asked newbie-questions are answered there. Maybe this should be communicated a lttle bit more offensive.
And as gavnosis mentions A List Apart: why not using “our ALAP” aka TXP magazine? We could publish the receipts of this cookbook there. And in a second step we could publish books, maybe as a kind of “TXP magazine edition”. The same like ALAP does: smaller articles for free in the online-magazine, and more detailled or more extensive texts in books (printed or electronic, that would be question of detail).
And the books should not be for free. Maybe this could become a little income for the magazine or the entire project.

In every case imho it is not a good idea to make the old book in a new editon, updated for 4.5 or whatever, because till it’s released it will be outdated in some points again. TXP development is fast at the moment ;-)

#7 2012-12-08 17:27:43

bici
Website Mastodon

1) Using TXP magazine would be a great idea. It could be used to have feature tutorials etc.

2) +1“payment for special tutorials and books “
( i have already contributed to the: Christmas 2012 donations to the Textpattern developers http://tinyurl.com/d5kx6a7 fund and plan on another contribution next week. I would also contribute to a fund that supported tutorial productions on TxP Mag )

3) It could use some loving and be listed more prominently on the textpattern.com site.

4) in reference to a “FAQ of Textbook” what is that? a web site? where is it to be found?

One other thing that seems not to be captured is the many tips that I come across in these forums on how to accomplish all kinds of nifty things using txp tags. But it seems to my casual knowledge that this information is not really listed in the official tag reference page. Perhaps this valuable knowledge could be captured by having more extensive examples in the Tag Documentation area.

…. texted postive

#8 2012-12-09 11:55:16

moon blake

bici schrieb:

4) in reference to a “FAQ of Textbook” what is that? a web site? where is it to be found?

Sorry for not expressing clearly. What I had in mind is this .

#9 2012-12-12 10:03:06

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

philwareham wrote:

I’m working on it — should be ready by Q4 of 2013.

#10 2012-12-12 11:02:13

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Hi Pete, that’s great news – is the book something you plan to get printed?

#11 2012-12-12 11:10:48

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Yes, ultimately. I run an electronic publishing company and I’m preparing the book to be an ebook in the first instance, with revisions/reissues for new releases of Textpattern, and approach a traditional publishing company with print rights once it’s bedded-in.

#12 2012-12-12 11:23:10

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Great. Well if you need any proof readers, then let me know!

Board footer