Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2013-10-23 16:59:46

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: [request] Save As, Save New button for 4.5+

Because of #6.3 and #6.4, I would definitely be happy with an unsaved version of the article with a publish button in place:)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#38 2013-10-23 17:11:20

mrdale
Website

colak wrote: Because of #6.3 and #6.4, I would definitely be happy with an unsaved version of the article with a publish button in place:)

‘Splain a bit more?

Do you mean clicking “save new” would simply make the publish button replace the save button?

Last edited by mrdale (2013-10-23 17:49:54)

#39 2013-10-23 18:55:53

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

In a word: yes. The function could become slightly more involved by changing the displayed time to the current time and emptying the title and the URL fields.

The button itself could become either disabled or invisible until the article is published.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#40 2013-10-23 21:42:32

tye
Website

I think the ‘Save As’ idea is really good and have used the clone feature Stef mentions in ecommerce sites where it is essential.

I can see the pros and the cons, but after reading through all the areas which would require consideration, is it really needed in the core – am I the only one who is thinking this is plugin area (Dev Core Plugins!!!)?

Then again… it would be a really nice feature which would put txp ahead in the great CMS race if it doesn’t already exist in others.

#41 2013-10-23 22:23:20

mrdale
Website

Advantage of it being in core means that it no longer needs parallel maintenance, and is not likely to become an orphan plugin.

@Colak, I prefer more automatic behavior than the method you mention.

#42 2013-10-23 22:32:32

tye
Website

mrdale – that applies to all plugins :)

#43 2013-10-24 01:54:18

towndock
Website

I so don’t get how this is an issue to hassle Devs with.

Copy. Paste.

Next.

#44 2013-10-24 08:55:54

mrdale
Website

copy/paste once, sure. copy/paste 25 separate times between two open write windows? er not so next

I just realized the error of my thinking. I should be using TXP as a simple blog engine, and not as a pseudo framework. We wouldn’t need anything as spectacular as “Save New” button and the gods of Olympus would not have to be bothered with such pointless human trivia.

;)

#45 2013-10-24 11:02:31

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Chill out Dale. Robert has already expressed an interest in adding that function so maybe he can work it into the write page in a satisfactory manner (next to the ‘create new’ button maybe). For now there is a duplicate function in the article list to help you out.

#46 2013-10-24 15:46:01

mrdale
Website

Perfectly chilled. Just took exception to the idea that TXP devs shouldn’t be bothered by something so trivial, when this is something that has been requested for a very long time by many people.

So sans sarcasm, I think that the current crop of devs are doing an awesome job of transforming TXP into something far better than it has been. Kudos.

(As politely as possible and as a genuine question…) Since you bring up “create new”… by your own logic… why is that there? It performs the same function all you have to do is click on “Write” nav in the same page?

Last edited by mrdale (2013-10-24 15:46:38)

#47 2013-10-24 16:14:43

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

It’s always been there I guess.

#48 2013-10-24 18:08:21

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote:

It’s always been there I guess.

We do have ‘Create New’ on Form/Page/Styles (which do the same thing as selecting the respective panel name from the menu) so maybe that’s the reason. Somewhat superfluous, but reasonable UX.

Anyway, when I did the Duplicate (a.k.a. Clone) feature for the Presentation elements, I actually planned that similar logic could be applied to the Write panel. My sketchy outline was:

• Next to the Article Title, add a Duplicate link.
  • Any changes you have made to any fields prior to hitting Duplicate are copied to the new article.
  • If you hit that link without changing the Title, a new article is created with _copy appended to the Title (although Jukka’s facility of appending the ID maybe has more merit). This is reflected in the URL Title too.
  • If Status was previously set to Live or Sticky (a.k.a visible on the public side), set it to Draft, else leave it as you set it.
  • Leave Posted/Expiry date and timestamp exactly as they are set in the article (i.e. the same as the original article unless you’ve altered them prior to hitting Duplicate), unless you’ve selected the reset to now option. This preserves people’s hard-crafted work if they are using the timestamps for article order on a portfolio site or as an event system in a calendar or whatever.
  • Clear the last modified information.
  • Set a new blog_uid.

To me, those are the most sensible defaults because it makes the fewest assumptions on workflow, besides that duplicating an article doesn’t automatically publish it.

Anyone think any differently? Have I missed any obvious use cases or unforeseen problems with the above?

Last edited by Bloke (2013-10-24 18:19:20)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer