Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-09-14 19:37:43

mrdale
Website

Multi plugin install capability

I routinely install 9+ plugins on a variety of sites. It would be nice to be able to cue those up and have it install without doing the copy/paste/verify routine.

#2 2012-09-14 20:24:19

uli

Re: Multi plugin install capability

You’ve not posted in the sed_cleaner topic, so you might not know it yet.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#3 2012-09-14 20:24:37

jpdupont

sed_cleaner ?

Last edited by jpdupont (2012-09-14 20:26:39)

#4 2012-09-15 23:51:42

masa

mrdale wrote:

I routinely install 9+ plugins on a variety of sites. It would be nice to be able to cue those up and have it install without doing the copy/paste/verify routine.

A DB import from an existing site with these plugins should work.

Last edited by masa (2012-09-15 23:52:17)

#5 2012-09-16 01:22:14

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

masa wrote:

A DB import from an existing site with these plugins should work.

Importing the full database can be fine, but I would at least avoid doing partial imports of few selected database tables, like for example, only importing txp_plugins table which stores the source code for plugins. Even when doing full database imports you may run into issues.

Importing, or specifically just importing txp_plugins table, works only if none of the plugins has an installer which needs to be run on install/update. If you do a database import, the install procedure will be skipped, and a plugin that relies on it, may not install properly.

From rah family, currently all plugins will work after a full database import, but there are few plugins, including rah_post_versions, rah_wrach, rah_tabtor, rah_textile_bar, rah_sitemap, rah_default_category and rah_bitly that won’t work after partial import containing just the txp_plugins table.

#6 2012-09-16 08:00:43

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

My suggestion is that before you install a plugin, first go and check if there’s a new version of it.

I have a folder in my PC that contains bunch of plugins that I already downloaded, but I’m still checking for new versions before install them.
So it’s more like a backup for me.

#7 2012-11-09 10:14:17

makss
Plugin Author
Website

Issue 315JSON, other formats… :-(

What about bulk install from some dir? Like install lang from txt

Simple interface tab

Plugin from dir			| CheckBox	| Plugin in DB
----------------------------------------------------------
ttt_plug1.txt v0.1		| 		| Already installed
ttt_plug2.txt v0.2		| [ ]		| Now v0.1, need update
ttt_plug3.txt v0.2		| [ ]		| Not installed
----------------------------------------------------------
				[Select All]       [GO]

aks_cron : Cron inside Textpattern | aks_article : extended article_custom tag
aks_cache : cache for TxP | aks_dragdrop : Drag&Drop categories (article, link, image, file)

#8 2012-11-09 11:28:40

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Not an other format, joining. An array of already compiled plugin packages. As far as I’m aware, nobody has suggested changes to the plugin distribution format.

What this requested and the issue report is about is about that joining. Dale is wanting to be able to paste multiple plugins to the field once and they all get installed. That’s what is in works.

Since the plugin package allows white-space, the joining needs some type of array format. Either a delimiter, or a standardized, and safe, open format. JSON falls to the latter. This doesn’t change the way the plugins are packaged of course. It would just used for joining, e.g.

[
	'plugin code1',
	'plugin code2',
	'plugin code3'
]

The other option is having an unique delimiter the already existing plugin package format can not contain. For instance a semicolon.

Having this type of simple and unified joining allows anyone to make bundles, both plugin authors and so can end-users like. Heck, the new plugin site could allow creating personalized (and tested) collections.

#9 2012-11-09 12:55:26

makss
Plugin Author
Website

OK, I understand.
But may be added to the file readable name and version of the plugins?

[
	'ttt_plug1|v0.1|plugin_code1_long_line_base64',
	'ttt_plug2|v0.2.5|plugin_code2_long_line_base64'
]

aks_cron : Cron inside Textpattern | aks_article : extended article_custom tag
aks_cache : cache for TxP | aks_dragdrop : Drag&Drop categories (article, link, image, file)

#10 2013-11-13 12:14:55

geoff777
Plugin Author
Website

The plugin system really lets Txp down.
Itś the one thing that puts me off using Txp for every site.

It is a complete mess.
Chasing around individual’s websites for the latest versions.
Copying and pasting code into boxes soooo 1990’s.

I’d rather use Txp than WP but the WP plugins system works perfectly.
It’s really good!
Copy it.

A plugins submissions committee, so that plugins with i/o can be officially checked for security flaws. (voluntary?) Txp approved plugins.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

#11 2013-11-13 12:40:14

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

geoff777 wrote:

I’d rather use Txp than WP but the WP plugins system works perfectly. It’s really good! Copy it.

That would involve me downloading and installing WP. Done that before and I don’t have the patience: it’s what drove me to Txp in the first place!

Care to elaborate on how the plugin system is handled in WP so we might be able to think about improvements to our system and its integration with the long-overdue textpattern.org update. I think we have everything covered in terms of plans, but maybe there’s something you can add or we can borrow that will make it even better.

A plugins submissions committee, so that plugins with i/o can be officially checked for security flaws.

You offering? If so, great!

Last edited by Bloke (2013-11-13 12:41:10)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#12 2013-11-13 20:05:09

geralt
Website

From my ignorance, I offer me to test the security of plugins.

I’m agree with geolf777, TXP was great few years ago but it’s “too old” right now. Meantime others CMS’s have plugin installation from repository, update process inside them, etc TXP hasn’t. Tired about that, three days ago I began to develop an auto updater for TXP: download code from svn, backup of actual installation. I hope finish it soon :-)

Board footer