Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2012-08-10 21:29:31

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

Re: What features would you take from ExpressionEngine

Destry wrote:

…Although it may seem like I’m not a happy camper, the opposite is true. (…) But that doesn’t mean development should be complacent and not improve handling of what exists. There’s room for it. (…)This topic—granular content and Txp’s reasonably good ability to handle it—needs communicated outward, and now is the time, because people out there are tuned-in to anything “adaptive” and “responsive” with respect to CMSs. Up to now, nobody has really demonstrated that very well, though there was never really the focus on adaptative content before like now either. I think we’ll be seeing an article in the magazine on Txp’s chunking abilities, eventually.

Yes, communicating the possibilities of txp is really a good point! And the right time. Looking forward for the article.

Btw, Zanza, when are you writing something for the magazine? Maybe something on those content type work-arounds? ;)

Honored by your proposal, Destry. I need to wait to have something useful to say, though. I’m having spare time for txp-playing, lately… But, who knows? Those articles are inspiring…

#38 2012-08-10 21:42:46

bici
Website Mastodon

Zanza wrote:

Destry wrote:
Btw, Zanza, when are you writing something for the magazine? Maybe something on those content type work-arounds? ;)

Zanza wrote: Honored by your proposal, Destry. I need to wait to have something useful to say, though. I’m having spare time for txp-playing, lately… But, who knows? Those articles are inspiring…

I second Destry’s proposal re article.

PS I think that with the imminent release of TxP 4.5 and certainly by 4.5.5, That it is timely for a updated book on Textpattern Solutions
If there are any inspired authors out there.

…. texted postive

#39 2012-08-11 07:32:44

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Thinking about it, the only two plugins I’d really ever want to see assimilated into core are custom fields and contact forms really (though it could be argued that forms can be more appropriately handled by wufoo or machform so even that isn’t essential)). Maybe some better multi languages support.

Everything else is best served by plugin authors themselves. Though I agree with gocom that orphaned plugins can be a problem sometimes, but that’s not unique to Textpattern.

#40 2012-09-14 20:36:48

bici
Website Mastodon

philwareham wrote:

Though I agree with gocom that orphaned plugins can be a problem sometimes, but that’s not unique to Textpattern.

I agree that all CMSes that rely on plugins can find themselves with orphans. But I think with ours there is a greater likelihood judging from the date that most plugins were last modified. It does cause me worry to rely on them.

Is there a possibility, or desire, to have plugins that work with 4.5 > be listed in a central repository? It would be on a voluntary basis by the plugin developer, but seeing theirs listed in such a repository would give greater confidence that there is a care and feeding regime on their part.

Furthermore: Should a crucial plugin go orphaned is said plugin free to be updated/modified by another developer?

…. texted postive

#41 2012-09-15 05:46:33

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

bici wrote:

Should a crucial plugin go orphaned is said plugin free to be updated/modified by another developer?

Plugins are licensed under the GPL as long as they are making function calls to and share data structures with Textpattern and therefore inherit its license. This precondition applies to almost any plugin.

Thus any user of these plugins has the “legal permission to copy, distribute and/or modify the software.”

#42 2012-09-15 23:46:39

masa

wet wrote:

There is no overkilll in Textpattern. Articles are where our user-editable content lives, that’s why we have permissions set up the way they are. Looks like a perfect fit.

I agree with Robert.
It’s what I’ve been doing for years. You just set aside some “invisible sections” such as client-quotes, footers, addresses etc. named accordingly, place snippets as separate ‘articles’ in there and pull them in where needed.

Think of ‘articles’ as any kind of content.

Board footer