Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2012-07-05 15:34:58

maniqui
Website

Re: remove SVN headers (or include them full) in last commit of release

Your mirror has tags, not branches, right?

Correct (well, to be more precise, my mirror has one branch, 4.4.1-mlp, which integrates MLP, but disregard that).

Tags that are put over commits that were done in other lines of development (they were branches, in a Git sense).
In other words, those tags (4.4.1, 4.4.0, etc) aren’t put over commits that belong to master. They are put over a serie of commits that branched from master.

All your mirrored commit are in the same branch, right?

No.

When you clone the repository and pull a master you get commits for all branches and all tags, right?

No. When you pull checkout master, you just get master, which matches exacly the development branch of TXP. No extra commits.

I invite you to clone my GH repo and run the git log line in my previous post. You should see a history that makes sense, and includes tagged commits for each release branch.

If you commit the headers… (…) Each commit would include a header changes.

I wasn’t planning to commit the “built” (with keywords substituted) files back, but just have a checkout that matched the zip files.

Edit: bq., mannequin, not bc., bq.
Edit 2: let’s use the correct term. pull has nothing to do with checkout, in Git terminology.

Last edited by maniqui (2012-07-05 15:36:05)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#14 2012-07-05 17:56:15

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

maniqui wrote:

They are put over a serie of commits that branched from master.

That’s cool.

I wasn’t planning to commit the “built” (with keywords substituted) files back, but just have a checkout that matched the zip files.

So no pre/post-commit hooks then? Well that’s good. As git-svn goes, it doesn’t support any other SVN properties than executable if things haven’t changed. No keywords or anything like that.

Anyhow, you could technically try out checkout filters, that does a “fake” keyword replacement. Not the best idea when it comes to performance (you loose the edge), but some sort of substitution is possible. You will run into compatibility issues (that’s a thing) and one thing is getting the actual SVN data and making sure the header looks exactly the same than in SVN (that’s going to be fun, right?).

Along the lines of this git-rcs-keywords. Offers two perl script that are used as a custom filter. Won’t work as that straight way of course as it’s for git information.

Also you could write a small script that works outside git. It could either generate the headers, or checksums. Either method should work as the whole thing is just OCD itch which really doesn’t matter at all. Heck, you could write a script that deletes diagnostics page, eh.

If you want it to be the most transparent and have the least confusion and compatibility issues then either a separate script, or pre-commit hook would be the way to go. Pre-commit hook will make diffs garbage tho when compared back to SVN, but everything will look and work seamlessly at git’s end.

Personally I would just forget. The headers are just fine how they are now.

Edit 2: let’s use the correct term. pull has nothing to do with checkout, in Git terminology.

What is this terminology your are speaking of? Having to do something with edumatication? Whether pull fetches a branch and merges changes, and checkout checkouts a branch is the same to me. Both do that sweet branch milking all I know.

#15 2012-10-12 22:55:35

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

I have bit of something-something for you git users. As of today, the git mirror should be much more “git friendly”. The originating SVN repository as a whole has lost all SVN dependencies it had.

Files no longer contain any SVN specific keywords or properties, the diagnostics report’s file integrity check is reworked to work independently from the underlying version control system, and the git repository comes with same file ignores you would expect from the SVN. All this should make working with the git repository much more easier.

#16 2012-10-15 02:27:21

maniqui
Website

Thanks for this, Gocom.

I notice the tags for latest releases (4.5.0, 4.5.1 & 4.5.2) are missing:
https://github.com/textpattern/textpattern/tags

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer