Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2012-07-15 17:41:09

artagesw
Website

Re: [feedback] Quite hard Textpattern customizing

Bloke wrote:

But the inherent flexibility it offers makes the conceptual model difficult for newcomers.

I have not found this to be the case with Escher’s users. In fact, they find the model of the page hierarchy mimicing that of a static site to be quite intuitive.

For example, making all subsections take on the Page template and permlink scheme of its ancestor — after all, they’re in the same section so should be related by design, and in 97.384% of cases having the same template (and certainly permlink scheme) will be the expected and logical choice.

That’s exactly what Escher does.

Perhaps one could override the template behaviour (like the Form Override option on the Write tab that I’ve used, what, twice in six years?) so you can branch to a different Page template at a specific point in the hierarchy. Of course, then you get into the whole “should all subsections below this one get this new template, or should it just be for this one section” inheritance debacle, which is potentially UI hell.

And this as well. Whenever a new page is created, the default is to inherit its ancestor’s template. This can be overridden on a per-page basis. So, the default behavior is always perfectly predictable and “safe.”

#14 2012-07-19 16:10:07

Szorstki

Re: [feedback] Quite hard Textpattern customizing

I’ve tried Escher… give up after 5min :D Maybe it was a bug with three structure presentation, maybe it just look like that, but doing something in live demo wasn’t easy.

Anyway… going back to content management in TXP, I don’t know what’s the problem :) Article is in one place – in the database. It’s only connected to collection (section/section-specific category and implicitly to a parent section) or multiple collections (section(s)+categories). Working with URL – cms get a path, then it’s clear which template use, which article or collection should be displayed.
Possibility to assign article to many collections is much powerful. Necessary is publishing article to a section(s), or to section-specific category(categories). Then there is no need to make any tricks in templates with article_custom – content management is done in “admin frontend”, not in a kind of backend. Technically it’d be a relation one article to many collections in the database and a multiselect field in article creator. Even if there is no need to publish article in few places, it makes content management easy to understand. I’ve created a page based on TXP and people responsible for content get a bit confused, I’ve had to explain them everything and there are still some problems :P

Another multiselect for optional general categories (not related to sections) and… done? Few changes in the database, few in admin panel. Creating section-specific categories and for example tag <txp:menu/> makes designing navigation very easy (especially with options like in adi_menu, but makes creating many sections(because of which the site structure is getting confusing) and another admin-page to manage them unnecessary).
The structure of any site(sections) are connected with semantics(categories) – so why not to have a solution for that in TXP?

Board footer