Textpattern Forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#11 2012-05-21 12:36:43

jelle
Member
Registered: 2006-06-07
Posts: 165

Re: abl_droploader: A native drag & drop multiple image uploader

Hi Andreas,

Very nice plugin! I’ve been wanting this behavior for TXP for quite a while, but I’m unable to program it myself. Very nice, thanks.

I’ve installed soo_plugin_pref AND abl_droploader, but I’m still getting a blank screen on the preferences.

developr wrote:

So I probably stop working on the article-image-edit, because it would really be a duplication of redbots work.

Hope not, sounds like your approach is more of an improvement pf redbots work. I’d like to be able to upload/edit pics directly on the write page.

Offline

#12 2012-05-21 15:00:55

Zanza
Plugin Author
Registered: 2005-08-18
Posts: 685
Website

Re: abl_droploader: A native drag & drop multiple image uploader

developr wrote:

Hi Zanza,
I had a quick look at your cool site. Sadly, my italian knowledge is limited, but the cartoons are really funny. Very good drawings. Is that your work? Great! I like!

Thank you very much, developr! Yes, there are some drawings of mine. :)

About your plugin, I second Jelle’s opinion. The difference between bot_image_upload and your method is that bot_i_u plugin gives you the chance to edit images from the write tab, but at the cost of loading the whole image tab interface. A simple way to edit two or three fields for an image without loading the full img tab would be an advantage. Anyway, I’d like the two plugins to continue working together because of the bot plugin re-order capabilities for multiple article images, of for accessing the image tab when you need full metadata editing capabilities.

Z-

Offline

#13 2012-05-21 19:25:15

developr
Plugin Author
From: Basel
Registered: 2011-09-24
Posts: 65
Website

Re: abl_droploader: A native drag & drop multiple image uploader

I have tried to fix this annoying “blank screen” issue. A new version (V0.11) is available, which hopefully fixes this issue. It should now play nicer, if soo_plugin_pref is not installed. In this case, hard-coded preferences are used and editing of the prefs is not possible. But at least, the DropLoader should now work also without it.

jelle wrote:

I’ve installed soo_plugin_pref AND abl_droploader, but I’m still getting a blank screen on the preferences.

ugly. :( I cannot reproduce this behavior. Can you please check if the new version works for you?
If not, please give me some more information (Txp version, error-log entries if possible and if there are any). Whithout any info it’s hard to guess what the problem is.

Zanza:

Regarding your GUI Ideas:
Because I want to enable the DropLoader for files too, these may cause some conflicts. Not on the images- or files-tab (additional fields are possible there), but on the write-tab. I may need not only one, but two open-triggers there to differentiate between images and files. Alternatively, I could add some radio-buttons on the DropLoader UI to change the file-type it should accept. But I don’t like the second approach, because it adds an unnessecary interaction step.

With the expanding-grey area, there is similar problem: This would also require an additional interaction step, to have a chance for selecting a file-type or entering something in the form before the upload happens. I personally prefer, when the upload itself stays as simple as possible.
Appending/editing metadata is perhaps better done with redbots image/file plugins, or something similar. It could also be problematic to integrate such an expandable area in a way that it works well with different admin-themes.

Zanza wrote

but at the cost of loading the whole image tab interface.

But this is also the reason, why theDropLoader appears in his image-picker automatically. Changing this will be a lot of work for redbot (I don’t know what his plans are). The same goes for my planned article-image-edit. Perhaps I complete this later, but adding support for files comes first.

Offline

#14 2012-05-22 08:12:13

jelle
Member
Registered: 2006-06-07
Posts: 165

Re: abl_droploader: A native drag & drop multiple image uploader

developr wrote:

Can you please check if the new version works for you?
If not, please give me some more information (Txp version, error-log entries if possible and if there are any).

Yes, with soo_prefs it’s working now. Without it is not….

developr wrote:

The same goes for my planned article-image-edit. Perhaps I complete this later, but adding support for files comes first.

Looking forward to both! Great work.

Last edited by jelle (2012-05-22 08:12:22)

Offline

#15 2012-05-22 12:06:15

developr
Plugin Author
From: Basel
Registered: 2011-09-24
Posts: 65
Website

Re: abl_droploader: A native drag & drop multiple image uploader

Hi jelle,

jelle wrote:

Yes, with soo_prefs it’s working now. Without it is not….

What exactly is not working? All, or just the edit preferences panel in Txp’s plugin-tab?

With version 0.11, the image upload should work without soo_plugin_pref. It will use predefined options in this case, and editing of the preferences is not possible.

If you try to edit preferences without soo_plugin_pref installed, you will see a nearly empty page, just showing the Textpattern Logo and the version. As far as I see, this is the behavior of the plugin-tab, if the edit-preferences flag is set in a plugin but the callback function cannot be called.

Can someone confirm, that the image-upload does not work without soo_plugin_pref?

Offline

#16 2012-05-22 13:15:05

jelle
Member
Registered: 2006-06-07
Posts: 165

Re: abl_droploader: A native drag & drop multiple image uploader

Hi Andreas,

Sorry for the confusion. I can confirm that the plugin itself is working great with AND without soo_plugins_prefs. Without soo_plugin_prefs, the preferences is, as you say, and empty page. That was what I was refering to.

Regards,
J

Offline

#17 2012-05-22 15:09:34

developr
Plugin Author
From: Basel
Registered: 2011-09-24
Posts: 65
Website

Re: abl_droploader: A native drag & drop multiple image uploader

Hi Jelle,

The confusion is coming from a fault I made in the code.

The next minor update will correct this. The default options will be displayed instead of a blank screen, but editing still requires soo_plugin_pref.

Thanks for clarifying the issue!

Offline

#18 2012-05-22 15:20:31

uli
Moderator
From: Cologne/Köln
Registered: 2006-08-15
Posts: 3,062

Re: abl_droploader: A native drag & drop multiple image uploader

developr wrote:

pictures which are uploaded together are mostly of the same thematic, so appending them the same alt/caption could make sense. Possibly I will add this feature.

Oh yes, and that’d be also a boon for uploading single images :)

Then I discovered that for situations where there’s no thumbnail measures entered on the image panel, there’s no thumbnail being created. That’d be undesirable per se. But with bot_image_upload installed, the consequence is that the Write panel is pretty squeezed by the large image versions that bot_i_u then loads in place of the thumbs, and users could be … umm, say “helpless” ;) (At least some.) Could there perhaps be a default (hardcoded) pref that overrules such empty settings, like 100 × 100 px, cropped?


In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

Online

#19 2012-05-22 17:46:17

developr
Plugin Author
From: Basel
Registered: 2011-09-24
Posts: 65
Website

Re: abl_droploader: A native drag & drop multiple image uploader

Hi uli,

uli wrote:

Write panel is pretty squeezed by the large image versions that bot_i_u then loads

Oops. I was aware of the fact that no thumb is created, if no dims are set. But i didn’t know that bot_i_u has a problem with that. I also had in mind, to set a default size. Now, you have given me the reason to do it. I include that in the next minor-release. Thanks for reporting that!

btw. This is also a problem of the bot_image_upload plugin.

Offline

#20 2012-05-22 18:40:00

developr
Plugin Author
From: Basel
Registered: 2011-09-24
Posts: 65
Website

Re: abl_droploader: A native drag & drop multiple image uploader

Version 0.12 released.

Issues reprted by jelle (empty edit-prefs screen) and uli (write-tab squeezed if thumbnail size was not set before) should be solved with this update.

I have also updated the initial post.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB