Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2012-02-26 07:27:18

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: r3661 error when saving an new article

Gocom wrote:

Which is why guys use it; to be able to install plugins via a single commit.

Splitting this discussion into a separate thread.

#14 2012-03-28 14:22:45

hakjoon
Website

We might need provide some hooks for TXPPostForm in order to allow client side plugins to modify data before posting. The current behavior breaks TinyMCE since it attaches an event to onSubmit which re populates the textarea with the editor contents. Since the ajax is actually occuring onClick of the submit button thsi never gets fired.

We might want to consider moving that obeserver to form.onSubmit() since that catches other ways in which the form is submitted other than just the button click. I want to try that and see if it deals with the TinyMCE problem but we should probably look in adding some sort of way of attaching callbacks to those events to run before the standard submission happens.

I just started looking into this last night so I haven’t gotten far on testing anything but I’ll try to get some patches shortly.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#15 2012-03-30 10:38:32

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

hakjoon wrote:

We might want to consider moving that observer to form.onSubmit() since that catches other ways in which the form is submitted other than just the button click.

Thanks. We surely want to. Try r3698.

#16 2012-03-30 14:16:55

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

wet wrote:

Thanks. We surely want to. Try r3698.

Is that actually working ? I trying saving a form on the sections tab and absolutely nothing happens – visually, I mean [*]. All the save buttons ‘grey out’ (that is the theme style), but I don’t see any actual ‘saving’. On the write page the same issue.
Watching through Safari’s WebInspector, the class ‘busy’ is applied but never removed.

[*] and it doesn’t matter how I access the save button – keyboard or mouse click.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#17 2012-03-30 15:21:08

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Adding to what Philippe said, there also needs to be visual feedback that a success action has happened -when there is an error message the div pulses a couple of times to draw the eye, but when there is a success message that does not happen, so is easily missed and can make the user wonder if an action has actually happened (the alert messages in the core themes are also not obvious enough either IMHO but that’s not for this thread).

I’ve worked around that in my own 4.5 admin theme, but it should be noted in the core admin theme too.

Last edited by philwareham (2012-03-30 15:21:47)

#18 2012-03-30 16:52:24

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

phiw13 wrote:

Is that actually working ?

Works for me. Looks like this change set broke in Safari. Fixed in r3699.

philwareham wrote:

…there also needs to be visual feedback that a success action has happened

This might be a need for a fraction of users. But I’m quite sure that others will find such an indication useless or even distracting once they have acquainted to the non-obtrusive procedure of intermediate saves while they write a longish article. Less distraction is one reason why we want AJAX on the write tab.

There’s some popular software which handles successes rather silently. Try saving a document in LibreOffice Calc (progress bar), or saving a widget’s options in WordPress (spinner).

I think that “success” is the default outcome of any user operation, and we shouldn’t make much ado about this non-event. Other may think the opposite, and this is why Textpattern has this theming capability.

Last edited by wet (2012-03-30 19:24:06)

#19 2012-03-30 17:14:18

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Fair enough. Maybe it’s that the success message is permanently there after the first save, but it doesn’t feel right to me. Anyway, as you say it’s totally themeable so not really an issue.

Also, maybe it’s because txp is so fast – I never see the spinner more than about a millisecond! That’s a good thing.

Last edited by philwareham (2012-03-30 17:16:25)

#20 2012-03-31 00:40:02

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

wet wrote:

Works for me. Looks like this change set broke in Safari. Fixed in r3699.

Yep, now everything works fine, no matter how I access the submit button (tested Gecko 1.9.2 and WebKit/Safari).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

Board footer