Textpattern Forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#11 2011-10-26 11:03:01

gaekwad
Website

Re: [contrib] What would you like to see (and buy) from the Textpattern swag store?

Destry wrote:

While I’m absolutely not saying this to propose a change about Zazzle, because I fully stand by the decision Pete made regarding Zazzle’s product options and order-handling abilities, but I share Ruud’s feelings about visiting Zazzle, which to me has a very Hallmark cards, or tourist shop vibe to it, and that doesn’t seem to target the sensibilities of digital craftspeople. Threadless, as an example to compare with, seems like it has our crowd in mind, but it only offers tee-shirts, and I’m not sure if it provides a make-on-demand option (or what the situation is with shipping costs, etc.). The M-o-D is especially important for us.

I fully appreciate there is some feeling toward Zazzle that it’s a jack-of-all, master-of-none outlet. Go to the Zazzle front page and you will be bowled over by the volume, variety and ‘holy frick’-ness of some of the stores…but that’s the thing – it’s not the Textpattern swag store front page. The Textpattern swag store won’t have billions of things in it, and won’t have garish, unfunny tat at every junction – it’s far more focussed than that. Sales reports and feedback will dictate how it’s doing, and fine-tuning is, of course, a given.

Also, given the Zazzle embedding/API functionality, I can’t see a reason why, given time and resource, the storefront could effectively be run within the txpmag.com stable and Zazzle are used for fulfilment, so there’s limited branding seen.

I have no unbreakable connection to Zazzle; I don’t work there, I’m not a shareholder and I don’t have any contractual arrangements with them – I have used them for shop provision in the past with no problems. If it turns out that Zazzle’s not a good fit I will be more than happy to switch allegiances to The Other Side (whatever that entails).

Last edited by gaekwad (2011-10-26 11:10:59)

#12 2011-10-26 11:16:00

Destry
Website

Re: [contrib] What would you like to see (and buy) from the Textpattern swag store?

He’s quoting me, everyone, but he’s talking to you, because like I said, I stand by the decision to use Zazzle, and I know we’ll create a more slick “storefront” in the magazine’s UI. :)

#13 2011-10-26 11:29:00

gaekwad
Website

Destry wrote:

He’s quoting me, everyone, but he’s talking to you

Yes – absolutely correct. Hi, everyone!

#14 2011-10-26 12:01:43

Destry
Website

Nice read. Great designer.

I kind of like the idea of a limited edition (from the images, it seems .net had a limited batch of 100). Maybe we’ll borrow that idea in the future. Products (in this case a particular design) tend to be valued more by people when they know they’ve got one of the only few available.

This would make a great design contest initiative too. Maybe for a magazine tee…

Last edited by Destry (2011-10-26 12:19:55)

#15 2011-10-26 12:04:18

Destry
Website

I like the toned-down work on the hammer and chisel here (compliments of txp:fr)…

#16 2011-10-26 12:47:35

jakob
Website

The hammer and chisel still reminder me of “The People’s Democratic Republic of Textpattern” :-) but I think the idea of a smaller sticker would be great. Or a temporary tattoo maybe?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#17 2011-10-26 14:03:49

Destry
Website

Here’s an opportunity lost. (Imagine this one, for example, having been Txp.) The kinds of things we should all look for in the future.

#18 2011-10-26 15:25:00

mrdale
Website

Much respect for everything you do, Destry, but…

• Halftone filtering a perfectly good vector logo
  • Angling it 8 degrees
  • superimposing an artsy swash of yellow
  • then adding a tagline about simplicity and elegance

…is a bit ironic, no?

+1 for the bloke approach. I want mrdale on a black t-shirt with the peoples republic of textpattern (basic logo) on the back. That looks all kinds of badass and at my age every bit helps.

Last edited by mrdale (2011-10-26 15:25:31)

#19 2011-10-26 15:46:57

Destry
Website

I’d buy a Mr. Dale dartboard. :)

Seriously, though, in case it wasn’t clear, that’s not my design work, and I wasn’t suggesting the whole design for a t-shirt. I merely pointed out I liked the “half-toned” hammer and chisel. Nothing more, nothing less.

jakob wrote:

The hammer and chisel still reminder me of “The People’s Democratic Republic of Textpattern” …

And I’m totally crackin’ up about that, because it’s so true!

Last edited by Destry (2011-10-26 16:08:37)

#20 2011-10-26 19:08:40

Els
Admin
Website

jakob wrote:

The hammer and chisel still reminder me of “The People’s Democratic Republic of Textpattern” :-)

Oh, I love that :D I would definitely buy a t-shirt with that on it ;)

<txp:Els /> ;)
Tag Reference | Unexpected behaviour? Check the tag trace | Still no clue? Check the names of your custom fields

Board footer