Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2011-10-10 13:08:52

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Big problem trying to install a self-registering form

GuyVerville wrote:

Not in sight, and this is the problem with this plugin. It doesn’t install itself correctly! The start install wizard on the help page doesn’t work! It directs me to a restricted area!

Hmmm, have you got the latest version from Manfre’s BitBucket site?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#14 2011-10-10 13:10:57

GuyVerville

bp. Hmmm, have you got the latest version from Manfre’s BitBucket site?

Yep.

#15 2011-10-10 13:16:16

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Weird. I’m using an older version 0.9.3 and the install wizard directs me to a valid page. I do remember in the dim and distant past it used to give a restricted area response, that’s why I asked about the version. Very strange. Without it being properly installed it’s no wonder things aren’t going as expected. So your Install Wizard link is trying to go to http://site.com/textpattern/index.php?event=self-reg&step=preinstall&area=admin and failing?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#16 2011-10-10 13:17:55

GuyVerville

So your Install Wizard link is trying to go to http://site.com/textpattern/index.php?event=self-reg&step=preinstall&area=admin and failing?

Exactly.

#17 2011-10-10 13:22:09

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

And you have Publisher privs? And you haven’t altered the mem_self_reg privs through smd_user_manager? (In fact, it might pay to temporarily switch off smd_um just to make sure it’s not getting in the way).

If it’s not that, I’m stumped. Hope someone else can see what I can’t.

#18 2011-10-10 13:27:06

GuyVerville

I have administrator’s rights (I am the only one with myself :-) ) I did switched off and even removed everything regarding users (was a little fed up!), then I gave it a try and nope. I see that the plugin author seem to look at problems. Maybe I should just try to contact him.

#19 2011-10-10 13:34:28

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Yeah, raise a ticket over at BitBucket and see if Manfre has any ideas. Sorry I couldn’t get to the bottom of it this time.

#20 2011-10-10 13:35:24

GuyVerville

No need to be sorry. You were very helpful!

#21 2011-10-10 15:03:36

aslsw66
Website

Pretty sure I’ve had the same problem. I set the default user privs to 1 initially, and couldn’t change after that. I could the see the preference there, and change all of the mem_self_register preferences except for that one. But I might not be running the latest version any more…

By the way, it took me ages to get my head around the way privileges escalate from 0 to 6 to 1 ie. 0 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1. Sure a strictly linear escalation would make more sense?! It still catches me out from time to time. I have discretely added it to the page so I can always check that the right person is getting the right access.

#22 2011-10-10 15:31:58

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

aslsw66 wrote:

By the way, it took me ages to get my head around the way privileges escalate from 0 to 6

You count from zero? :-P

Meh, history. To be totally accurate though, a Designer isn’t ‘lower than’ a Freelancer; they just have different capabilities. And ‘zero’ is just that: zero access, so I suppose it makes sense in that regard. Uhhh, sort of.

I have discretely added it to the page so I can always check that the right person is getting the right access.

You could always use smd_faux_role and set the plugin up to always display the user dropdown so testing of other privs is just a click away.

Last edited by Bloke (2011-10-10 15:32:21)

#23 2011-10-10 20:38:08

aslsw66
Website

Yeah, I get that the privileges is really about different roles but I also think that there is also a natural escalation of roles in lots of systems. It might be easier if we could mix-and-match privileges.

Your shameless plugs will fall on deaf ears unless there is a public side tag. You see, I am continuing to build a customised front-end admin console. This is mainly because our officers are older, tech-fearing guys; if it looks to complicated, they won’t use it but then complain that the site is out-of-date and too hard. By customising those bits they will actually regularly use, I can try to design it in the easiest way for them (while still maintaining full control myself at the real back-end). At the moment, all I need them to do is simple article management (add, edit, delete with restricted categories) and user management.

#24 2011-10-10 21:04:44

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

aslsw66 wrote:

It might be easier if we could mix-and-match privileges.

You can make your own rules with smd_user_manager and set an assumed hierarchy (damn, another plug).

I am continuing to build a customised front-end admin console

Any reason you haven’t considered an admin-side dashboard or three? smd_um to make a new role for the tech-fearing guys, with no privs to see any tabs except a few that you create with smd_tabber. On those tabs you put whatever custom simplified workflow you want with Page templates and Stylesheets, etc. You then use rvm_privileged to wrap Edit links on the pulic side to the dashboard tabs so anyone logged in as this new role can make changes. They use the standard Txp login screen to log in (therefore no ign_pw_protect required) and the dashboard has convenient links back to the public side to see the results. Skin the admin side to match the public side as close as possible and your user base will hardly know they’re jumping between the two.

Oh, and smd_um gives you the ability for people to alter their own profiles out of the box. I’m considering allowing you to open up the permissions for smd_um itself too; at the moment they are fixed to Publishers. Easy change: requires three lines removing. And maybe a pref to govern whether it’s allowed or not. If you need that now, just yell and I’ll shift it up the priority tree.

Last edited by Bloke (2011-10-10 21:06:25)

Board footer