Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-08-23 02:05:23

GugUser

[wiki] Images are not shown

In the article Moving Installation from one Host to Another I can’t see the images.

#2 2011-08-23 20:51:15

els

Re: [wiki] Images are not shown

Thank you. Fixed now, I think.

#3 2011-08-23 22:03:12

GugUser

Thank you Els, everything is good again ;-).

#4 2011-10-03 17:57:34

uli

I just fixed the images in the English and French Admin Page descriptions, but then got tired of opening/scrolling/closing pages just to see if they contain an image.

Is there a search tool that could help in such a task? I found that images are always broken because of a beginning uppercase character in the image name. So all that’s needed is a tool that’d list pages containing [[Image: followed by a lowercase letter.

Edit: More complicated, there are also lowercase images.

Last edited by uli (2011-10-03 18:03:46)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#5 2011-10-03 19:21:53

els

Something like this?

Though it might be easier if we open a forum thread where users can report broken images/links, so we can repair them manually without having to search for it. Or maybe wiki pages can have a ‘report broken link/img’ link?

Last edited by els (2011-10-03 19:25:12)

#6 2011-10-03 22:48:18

uli

Els wrote:

Or maybe wiki pages can have a ‘report broken link/img’ link?

That’s totally cool: absolutely low tech*, though completely adequate, and looks like the most promising solution.

*In case it leads here to this forum

Last edited by uli (2011-10-03 22:50:59)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#7 2011-10-04 01:34:09

zerokilled

hello!
i hope i’m not invading the topic, but it is related. i have found that a lot of articles in the wiki have missing images. however, i’m not going to point out them all because i’m focusing on learning TXP. however, i’m interested on the image in this articles, http://textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Textpattern_Semantic_Model.

thanks for the support and feedback!

Last edited by zerokilled (2011-10-04 01:34:54)

How do you get to the past? Keep traveling west.

#8 2011-10-04 07:50:05

els

zerokilled wrote:

however, i’m interested on the image in this articles, http://textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Textpattern_Semantic_Model.

As far as I can see there is only one, but fixed now. Thanks for reporting!

#9 2011-10-08 09:49:53

Destry
Website

uli wrote:

I found that images are always broken because of a beginning uppercase character in the image name. So all that’s needed is a tool that’d list pages containing [[Image: followed by a lowercase letter. …. Edit: More complicated, there are also lowercase images.

Mediawiki used to read the image regardless of case. This was/is also the situation with the namespace (Image:), but in this case if you added the namespace in lowercase, MW would automatically capitalize the first letter in URLs, even though it would work either way.

Apparently that’s all changed since several versions ago (Ruud upgraded the wiki recently, and we can’t thank him enough for that), and these broken links are probably the result of new wiki behavior.

Some thoughts regarding all this:

1. There should be a convention (talked about before, a few years ago) on how image files are named before they are uploaded to the wiki.
    • The convention, in my opinion, should be all lowercase, and words separated by a dash (e.g., txp-semantic-model.png). Capitalizations and underscores just make things complicated for URL paths.
    • A convention will be written into the Editorial Style Guide, and that will be it going forward.
    • We can only control it for English content.
  2. Before fixing every image found, a decision should be made on the page itself about whether or not it’s even relevant anymore. One of the things we’ve already determined is that the wiki has too much unkept content. No need fixing image URLs for what should simply be taken out.
    • We need a better process for determining what should come out. Ideas are welcome!
    • For pages that are removed, the associated images should also be deleted from the database.

Let’s remember that when Txp adopts a new default admin theme, all admin-side images in documentation will need to be replaced to reflect the new look. That will also be a good time to correct image file names, and image processing (smaller, more focused, positioned in context of copy, notated consistently, etc.).

As for reporting/monitoring pages, I think the wiki should be able to help us there a bit; it’s just a matter of knowing where to look (e.g., one of the toolbox pages or something). I’ll have to give that a think.

Last edited by Destry (2011-10-08 09:57:42)

#10 2011-10-09 14:51:30

zerokilled

Els wrote:

As far as I can see there is only one, but fixed now. Thanks for reporting!

thanks for the fix! without it, i could not understand certain concept. i know in that instance there is one image, but i meant in overall. some articles have missing images.

#11 2011-10-09 15:00:26

uli

I thought I’ve caught them all some days ago, but if you still find some it’s kind of your responsibility to point to missing images if you want them repaired, don’t you think so?

#12 2011-11-07 02:55:42

zerokilled

hello…
here is another article with missing images. http://textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Sections

Last edited by zerokilled (2011-11-07 02:57:29)

Board footer