Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-08-20 22:00:42

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

New Plugin Idea. Questions to community...

All

I’ve started work (theoretical at this point) on a new plugin which I’ve tentatively named sed_patterns. The basic idea behind this plugin is to fuse the package import abilities of smd_admin_themes with the scripting engine from sed_cleaner to produce a plugin that allows you to import, in a single file, an amalgam of plugins, presentation elements, prefs, js and images so that you can quickly and simply import ‘patterns’ of functionality (or just raw resources) into your sites.

The inspiration for this was triggered by some of the replies in a thread Destry started regarding common things folks to in their Txp installs. Additional inspiration has come from a post by Mannequi about website design patterns.

As an example of what might be possible with this plugin, here is one of many possible combinations of elements to give a contact form pattern

• zem_contact_reborn +
  • zem_contact_lang +
  • rvm_counter +
  • a form for the email address +
  • a form for the thank-you message +
  • a form to handle rvm_counter integration +
  • a section for the contact form (if not present already) +
  • a page to handle the layout of the HTML form for the contact section +
  • a short config dialog on import to capture the email addresses to put into the email address form.

Now, if you had sed_patterns available to you today, what patterns would you either build using it (it would export as well as import) or want to see available for it? Alternatively, if I’m barking up the wrong tree, let me know now :)

Steve

#2 2011-08-21 01:08:13

maruchan
Website

Re: New Plugin Idea. Questions to community...

Custom Application: smd_tabber, bot_everything, glz_custom_fields, rvm_if_priv…basically anything you’d need to rearrange the write tab, implement lots of custom fields, put in a dashboard, and control the workflow. Probably would include things like smd_if, smd_query, etc.

And then there are the ones I just use in every install…rah section modules, soo_if_frontpage…

I use a lot of Wareham products these days too :-)

#3 2011-08-21 02:04:12

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Hi Marc

that’s a pretty wide-ranging answer. Could your shotgun approach be broken down into several, more focused, reusable, pieces that might lend themselves to being packaged up as patterns?

Sure, such a plugin could be used as a mass-plugin installer, but I’m more interested in combinations of plugins and other elements, that people here use to solve web-design problems. My initial example of a contact form being one such example. I could list some others that have come to mind but I don’t wish to bias any other suggestions that might come up.

Steve

#4 2011-08-21 04:59:59

maruchan
Website

Huh. Well, I’m out of ideas, love to see what other patterns emerge.

I could list some others that have come to mind but I don’t wish to bias any other suggestions that might come up.

You really should list them anyway. Expressing one’s hopes for more refined responses from the group always seems to be a good way to kill a thread ;-)

#5 2011-08-21 08:48:52

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Although I don’t think that I’ll be using it, I can see how this (possible) plugin will be very usefull to a lot of people here.

My suggestion for it is to allow users to create their own pattern(s). That is, if there is an interface in the extensions, then all they will need to do is click checkboxes of pages, forms and plugins before downloading a gzip which contains them…

Just an idea:)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#6 2011-08-21 21:23:14

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

I got some time to work on this today. Not much to look at but it can now install some elements (plugins, pages and forms.)

Partial install of the contact form pattern

maruchan wrote:

You really should list them anyway. Expressing one’s hopes for more refined responses from the group always seems to be a good way to kill a thread ;-)

Not wanting to be a kill-thread; how about an updated version of Dale’s old tutorial on a Client Section Pattern for a start?

colak wrote:

I can see how this (possible) plugin will be very usefull to a lot of people here.

Ok, that’s partial validation for putting some time into this. Thank you, Yiannis.

My suggestion for it is to allow users to create their own pattern(s).

That is part of the idea. Not sure, yet, if it will be part of the plugin itself or if I’ll provide another tool to do it. Either way, I hope this could be an enabler for a repository of community-contributed web design patterns.

So back to the original question now — what patterns would you all want to see available?

Steve

#7 2011-08-21 22:32:18

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Great idea.

How about a shop / e-commerce pattern:

• Install yab_shop +
  • Set useful defaults / strings +
  • Create shop section +
  • Create checkout section +
  • Set up Price custom field +
  • (optional / configurable?) Set up per-product CFs +
  • Page for the shop +
  • Form for article (product) list +
  • Form for article (product) detail +
  • Page for the checkout +
  • Stylesheet for the above +
  • (optional) Install smd_ipn + inject listener tag into shop Page +
  • Show brief instructions for adding products (i.e. using the Write tab to add product details and set the relevant CFs)

Too convoluted? Too specific? Too many dependencies? Hmmmm, this is beginning to sound like a *nix package manager ;-)

Last edited by Bloke (2011-08-21 22:33:34)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#8 2011-08-21 22:55:24

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Bloke wrote:

Great idea.

Cheers ears, and welcome back!

Too convoluted? Too specific? Too many dependencies? Hmmmm, this is beginning to sound like a *nix package manager ;-)

Looks good. Don’t think we’d need to get to that level of dependency tracking.

(optional) Install smd_ipn + inject listener tag into shop Page +

Not sure I like the sound of that — couldn’t smd_ipn be installed & those tags be present in the ‘Page for shop’ further up in your list? User could delete them easier than adding them. If not, and some inject is needed into existing pages/forms, then perhaps putting that in a post-auto-install manual steps would be better than making assumptions about where to inject? Perhaps some kind of marker in the shop page for injection points of optional features (???) Hmmm, optional portions (or lack thereof) will need some thought.

Thank you for the feedback Stef.

Steve

#9 2011-08-21 23:52:22

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

net-carver wrote:

couldn’t smd_ipn be installed & those tags be present in the ‘Page for shop’ further up in your list?

Yeah, would be much easier. But if it was optional then there’d need to be some way to omit the parts you didn’t have, else there’ll be tag errors if a plugin was skipped but its tags were left in play.

perhaps putting that in a post-auto-install manual steps would be better than making assumptions about where to inject?

I like the idea of post-install options / instructions, even if it’s just a brief hunk of info displayed after the summary result sheet. In this plugin’s case it doesn’t actually matter where on the page the listener occurs because normal page flow ignores the tag: it’s only an IPN message that triggers the tag to wake up. But I agree in most other plugin cases it gets messy to figure out where to inject markup so setting the Page template up first makes sense.

optional portions (or lack thereof) will need some thought.

Aye. Wizardish behaviour — collect optional info up-front to configure what happens, build the script based on the input and then let it fly at the end — would be how I’d approach it. That was how I planned to tackle that import plugin I talked with you and Jeff about ages ago that I never started.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#10 2011-08-22 00:39:36

rsilletti

A pattern that always seems to emerge when folks specify their desires on a site is event management. Best approach at present to my experience is smd_calendar supported by a variety of associated task handlers depending on what is being done. The smds : countdown, featured, horizon and lately recommend themselves along with whatever support plugins they may require.

Someone more aware and experienced with how these behave individually or in concert maybe should make the selections for the actual pattern, in order to address a general purpose audience for them; which sounds like what you’re aiming at.

#11 2011-08-22 12:56:06

jpdupont

Hello Steve !
Nice idea !
Is this under the scope of the new plugin :

A. Install 4 admin plugin like adi_notes, bot_write_tab_customize, smd_thumbnails, smd_macros

.. then …

B. Fill these plugins tables with pre-made customisations :

• End user help in adi_notes table
  • Habitual parts in write tab hidden
  • Thumbnails settings and macros code inserted in the smd_thumbnails and smd_macros tables

Thanks for the big works !

#12 2011-08-22 13:08:53

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

A pattern for image galleries or img+some html text sliders? Not sure I understand how that could be actually done, but I’m looking forward to see this, it seems a great idea!

Board footer