Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2011-08-07 05:29:17

Destry
Website

Re: Hidden (status) articles

colak wrote:

Hidden can be used for members only sites and could be accessible only via passwords. I think that this would meet both arguments. It would also make more sense than having password protected sections as articles can reside in their appropriate categories/sections but they will only be viewed by those with sufficient privileges.

I really like this idea a lot, but maybe it could mean a new status option being added as an alternative.

Els wrote:

We are using it on one site to take articles out of the public side that are no longer relevant, but may be needed again later (like job vacancies for instance).

Do you have some kind of auto-response action in place for when Live articles are changed to Hidden? If so, what?

Because another idea is just that something happens when an article is changed from Live to Hidden. E.g., at the very least the Publisher is notified via email (or someone else in charge of content, etc.) when someone else (e.g., Copy Editor or Staff Writer) change the status. Something other than just a hidden/quiet/terminal state on the content as far as the CMS is concerned (which can easily result in an out of sight, out of mind situation).

For multi-user websites that have publishing workflows, the Hidden function as it is, is not as helpful as it could be. We seem to have both personal use and multi-author use scenarios here, understandably, so a plugin is probably the only solution, if anything is going to be done at all.

I’ve seen a couple good ideas in this thread that warrants doing something like I just described above in relation to Els’ scenario, and actually adding another couple of options: a “Private” option (per Colak’s idea), and a “Non-indexed” option (per the discussion between hidalgo and I earlier).

• Draft
  • Hidden (live-to-hidden changes trigger an auto-email to content manager)
  • Pending (draft-to-pending changes trigger an auto-email to content manager)
  • Live
  • Non-indexed (live articles that are not indexable by search engines)
  • Private (live but only signed in user/members can see content)

Modifiable to indicate a particular role or user.

That’s suddenly a lot more power/flexibility with the article status options.

(I also really like Maverick’s idea about using hidden for internal notes. That is a justifiable use for how it is currently in multi-author scenarios, and I might try doing that as another form of client documentation; though there’s a risk somone could accidentally publish it. Maybe a feature/option could be added to restrict hidden to the admin user only?)

Last edited by Destry (2011-08-07 07:10:24)

#14 2011-08-07 15:51:38

els

Re: Hidden (status) articles

Destry wrote:

Do you have some kind of auto-response action in place for when Live articles are changed to Hidden? If so, what?

Hehe, this is a small company, so the person who changes the status just has to shout across the office ‘hey, I just changed this article to hidden’ :)
But I agree that in other situations – large companies, lots of users – workflow is much more important, so I really like your idea of auto-responses!

Board footer