Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2011-07-29 12:52:25

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: [wiki] TXP (written copy) Style Guide

Sorry to keep opening up cans of worms, but…

Plugins: Use “Textpattern Plugins”.

…may be better as “Textpattern CMS Plugins”, since they are plugins specifically for the CMS. Textpattern Blog and Textpattern Support Forum I don’t mind without the “CMS” since you could potentially be discussing topics other than the CMS itself in those.

#62 2011-07-29 13:52:33

Destry
Website

We’re still kicking this around, eh? Okay, let’s really get down to it then…

If the brand, as it were, is now “Textpattern CMS” (and it is), then all of those links could be argued to be “Textpattern CMS….”. Consistency is probably the right way to go.

• Textpattern CMS Documentation
  • Textpattern CMS Support Forum1
  • Textpattern CMS Plugins2
  • Textpattern CMS Blog3

I’m fine with all of the above.

1 Needs some editing here in the boards.

2 Isn’t it time we change all references to “Textpattern Resources” to the targeted name above? Logic would suggest the sooner the better. Can’t be hard to go in that site now and just change the text. Don’t worry about that fact it’s not redone or there’s other old stuff. That can still be cleared/moved when the time comes, but get the referencing started!

3 This is supposedly the “Developer Weblog”, but do you really want to write “Textpattern CMS Developer Weblog”? I hope not. And for that reason I think .com should at least drop the archaic “weblog” for the more conventional “blog” like the whole world uses.

The real outlier, not listed for obvious reasons, is “TextGarden” (a camel-case, no less, which probably confuses the TextPattern situation). But it could easily be argued that if themes are a part of the Txp holdings (presumably), then “TextGarden” makes no more sense than did “TextBook” (and obviously, domain names make no difference). And especially as the themes site has adopted the visual branding of .com! I mean, if we’re going to go the whole nine yards on the branding, then it needs to be consistent, and everything on the inside needs to operate under the same guidelines. Especially anything regarding the look (presentation), function (development), and use (docs) of Textpattern.

• Textpattern CMS Themes

#63 2011-07-29 14:16:40

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Exactly my sentiments Destry. In fact I’ve already appended an existing Textpattern issue (#116) with the naming exactly as above.

#64 2011-07-29 19:34:03

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Don’t people who search for TXP or Textpattern already know it’s a CMS?
Is there a Textpattern that is not a CMS?
(not a big fan of seeing the word CMS that much).

Correct → Separating content, presentation, and behaviour is always a smart thing to do.

I’d leave out that second comma, unless the sentence can be interpreted in more than one way if you leave it out.

#65 2011-07-30 13:19:08

Destry
Website

philwareham wrote:

Exactly my sentiments Destry.

Well, what I’m really aiming at there is consistency and conformance more than particular labels at this point.

ruud wrote:

Don’t people who search for TXP or Textpattern already know it’s a CMS?

I would say yes, which is partly what I meant earlier when replying to Robert and saying it’s a fairly diluted ranking word. We can add a technical guide that says “Textpattern CMS” must be used in metadata, template titles, etc. but I don’t think it needs to be in every link label in regular copy. That list in the previous post could be just as usable without the “CMS” in them.

I’d leave out that second comma, unless the sentence can be interpreted in more than one way if you leave it out.

The whole point for defining that rule (the one exception to British conventions) about using serial commas is to eliminate the potential for ambiguity, as well the need to determine if/when using it or not is appropriate on a case-by-case basis. Always use it and there’s never a problem or anything to think about.

#66 2011-07-30 15:02:58

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Destry wrote:

I would say yes, which is partly what I meant earlier when replying to Robert and saying it’s a fairly diluted ranking word. We can add a technical guide that says “Textpattern CMS” must be used in metadata, template titles, etc. but I don’t think it needs to be in every link label in regular copy. That list in the previous post could be just as usable without the “CMS” in them.

Right. The word “CMS” is just noise in most cases.

The whole point for defining that rule (the one exception to British conventions) about using serial commas is to eliminate the potential for ambiguity, as well the need to determine if/when using it or not is appropriate on a case-by-case basis. Always use it and there’s never a problem or anything to think about.

Some people prefer to think ;)

#67 2011-07-30 16:04:43

zero
Website

Won’t ‘CMS’ help people who search for ‘CMS’ to find ‘Textpattern CMS’? Who would search for ‘TXP’ or ‘Textpattern’ – only those who already use it? But I can imagine lots searching for ‘CMS’ so using ‘Textpattern CMS’ on the main sites will help them finally discover that there is also a CMS called Textpattern that was/is only listed under ‘Blogs’ on sites that list web software and such like.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#68 2011-07-30 16:45:39

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

ruud wrote:

The whole point for defining that rule (the one exception to British conventions) about using serial commas

I have been fascinated of late by all the discussion of late of the Serial Comma. I had the misfortune of starting elementary school in the dark days of the early 1970s when there seemed to have a deliberate movement to stamp them out. I am quite happy to see that they are alive and well.

Sorry for hijacking the thread for a moment.

#69 2011-07-30 17:25:13

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

zero wrote:

Won’t ‘CMS’ help people who search for ‘CMS’ to find ‘Textpattern CMS’? Who would search for ‘TXP’ or ‘Textpattern’ – only those who already use it? But I can imagine lots searching for ‘CMS’ so using ‘Textpattern CMS’ on the main sites will help them finally discover that there is also a CMS called Textpattern that was/is only listed under ‘Blogs’ on sites that list web software and such like.

Google “CMS” and try to find textpattern or for that matter any CMS that is not well known (we’re on page 7 of the results list).
Sure, put “CMS” in the page title, but does it have to be in each link that has Textpattern in its description?

#70 2011-07-30 17:42:07

zero
Website

ruud wrote:

Google “CMS” and try to find textpattern or for that matter any CMS that is not well known (we’re on page 7 of the results list).
Sure, put “CMS” in the page title, but does it have to be in each link that has Textpattern in its description?

Joomla and Drupal do well in that search but just above them is a CMS Guide and looking in there would seem like a good idea for anyone searching for a CMS. Textpattern doesn’t figure, however, but check out Choosing a CMS link and it is interesting that the criteria match Textpattern really well, but the only mentions are for others.

Imho, CMS should be in page titles, descriptions, headings and links wherever Textpattern is mentioned. Links with CMS become just that bit more relevant if they are linking to pages with CMS in the title.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#71 2011-07-30 18:57:44

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

It used to be a compliment for Textpattern to be regarded as a CMS rather than “just” blogging software. But it is one of those things where no one can decide just where the dividing line should go.

I am not sure how much SEO we need to do. No one is going to go to page 7 of the search results, but it is going to be pretty hard to get to page one when most of the results are not even content management systems.

#72 2011-07-30 19:44:22

zero
Website

SEO will help but to get on Page 1 links from high ranking sites are needed. As cms.co.uk gets high on a search it might be worth submitting some details to them so they might include txp on their site. Going off their CMS Comparison page I’ve made this little summary to send them. Any thoughts before I send it? Actually it would be better for a respected designer or developer to send it rather than me.

Ease of use

1. Powerful yet lightweight CMS which is easy to install and use.
  2. Easy to follow tag system does not require any programming expertise.

Advantages

1. Emphasis on stability, reliability and simplicity.
  2. Fully extendable with plug-ins.
  3. Developers and users very helpful on forum.
  4. SEO-friendly URLs and default theme.
  5. No PHP knowledge required to produce sophisticated websites.
  6. No boundaries to design for those with HTML and CSS skills.
  7. Fast and lightweight, easy on resources.

Disadvantages

1. Not as many themes as some other CMS’s.
  2. HTML and CSS skills needed to gain full advantage.

Last edited by zero (2011-07-30 19:45:22)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer