Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-06-23 09:30:54

Destry
Website

Facebook and I

I’ve been talking about Facebook in some other threads, and so I feel compelled to explain my relationship with it in case anyone gets the impression I’m a FB fb. :)

I don’t really use it for connecting to people. I rarely post anything to my own wall or to the content of anybody I am connected to, including family. And yes, I hate FB’s aggressiveness on sharing, and its overly complicated preferences UX.

I originally created the account (about 3yrs ago) because it was my responsibility at the time to admin a group, and that, in my opinion, is a decent reason to have a FB account. In fact, I think if a person is representing a brand (regardless of what kind), they would be amiss to not make FB part of that effort, at least as long as FB is a major player in the marketing game. Having a decent use strategy is key too, of course.

Since creating my account, I’ve had the pleasure of meeting FB’s first Content Strategist (a lovely person who has nothing to do with FB’s security policies). I’ll be seeing her again and meeting another FB Content Strategist in September in London. (I think FB now has 4 or 5 content strategists working there, including Tiffany Jones who used to be with Blue Flavor and Things That are Brown in Seattle).

So while FB is not my preferred tool, I might use it more if I had a good reason, and for me that’s groups.

Enter Textpattern.

I will make an effort to check into the Textpattern FB Group more often. Don’t take it personal if you request to “friend” me and I don’t accept. That’s not really why I’m there. But I will interact on the Txp FB wall, discussions, etc.

Voilà !

While I’m on the subject, anyone have any FB pages, groups, communities, etc they want to share that are relevant to our digital interests?

Here’s one. :)

#2 2011-06-25 18:32:50

Destry
Website

Re: Facebook and I

Since posting here last, I’ve managed to find myself as an admin for the Txp FB Group, and there’s already some good discussions taking place in there, like this one. People freely saying what they don’t like about Txp. Most are subjective, of course, and I’m trying to counter with reason.

What is clear, is that the people talking in the Txp FB group are not the same people who do all the talking here, and that’s kind of refreshing, actually. But it’s also why I’ve been singing that this community needs to get out of the silo more often. I invite you to come over to Facebook and help me talk with naysayers with polite reason. :)

#3 2011-06-26 05:39:46

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Is there a way to open the discussion for viewing to non facebook members?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#4 2011-06-26 06:43:15

jstubbs
Website

colak wrote:

Someone like me!

#5 2011-06-26 13:53:44

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

colak wrote:

I know any easy way: Join Facebook. I am willing to go out on a limb and say it doesn’t hurt a bit.

#6 2011-06-26 16:43:06

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Joining it is like adding another thing to a pretty full plate. Not for me, not now:)

There are pages in facebook which can be visited by anyone. Couldn’t the txp discussion there use similar options?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#7 2011-06-26 17:28:27

Destry
Website

I have the group set as “Open” already, which is the least restricted I can seem to do, even as admin. If there’s something I’m missing, I’m not sure what it is.

#8 2011-06-26 17:36:45

Destry
Website

colak wrote:

There are pages in facebook which can be visited by anyone.

It looks like FB has made a lot of changes. Even when logged into FB, I don’t see anywhere to comment on the Textpattern Page. By contrast, the group provides discussions, events, photo albums, documents, and one or two other things if I recall. So I guess the idea is that you don’t get everything for free (i.e., without an account).

But in any case, it’s not about every person being everywhere, it’s about Txp having (updated/maintained) representation in different places, and we’re doing that now in FB. :)

All is welcome.

#9 2011-06-29 17:26:06

datorhaexa
Website

Not a FB user since last year.. sometime, when I closed my account. If there is one aspect that is a contradiction in a way, that’s FB and “open discussions”. Ironically, what looks a way more open “network” is Disqus, as it spreads throughout sites and gives choice of login. I’ve been using Diaspora for some time now (out of curiosity and because I like the thought behind it) but even this requires a new registration and people have a whole bunch by now. Glad that TXP is represented on FB but I’m also sad it’s behind a wall.

#10 2011-06-29 17:37:20

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote:

Joining it is like adding another thing to a pretty full plate. Not for me, not now:)

My feelings also, I’m not about to join Facebook anytime soon or ever.

Walled in communities, like AOL in the past, are against the spirit of an open web. This forum is readable by anyone, it only requires you to create an account if you choose to participate.

Facebook is a great marketing tool, but who are we attracting, and when they get here, what do we do with them?

#11 2011-06-29 19:45:06

Destry
Website

While I understand the gripes about FB’s in-or-out nature for group access, I don’t think that’s really the point here. The point is there are people who do use Txp and FB, but not this forum (surprise), and it’s very good for Txp’s rep to get out and rub elbows more often. I’m very happy to see Bloke in there holding court (almost) as much as myself. People in that group have really livened up even after a few days. And several new members just today.

Not everybody who lives here needs to go there (FB or otherwise). Some will stay here, solely. Some will stay there, solely (or at least never interact here like they do there), and a few will float among the islands as the mood strikes them. That last kind is an important kind; they’re like seeds on the wind who spread news and ideas around.

I shared my feelings about FB at the start of this thread, but I’m surprised to say that for the first time in 3 years of having an FB account, I’m actually enjoying FB with this Txp group. The ease of having conversations there is quite catchy, and there are some good conversations going too. And I’m happy to say everyone there is really polite; even the WP users (yep, their there too).

Technologically speaking, FB’s responsiveness really makes this forum seem clunky and slow. That’s not a praise for FB, necessarily, it’s just a fact. I’d say the same for any other tool if I thought that were the case. I think when the new plugin site launches, eventually, a lot of people’s need for this forum will diminish quite a bit.

But there are sure to be some Harry Trumans, I suppose. :)

(And the fawking spam here already, sheesh!)

#12 2011-06-29 20:46:58

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote:

I think when the new plugin site launches, eventually, a lot of people’s need for this forum will diminish quite a bit.

The Textpattern community is this forum, diminishing this forum will in turn diminish the community. The new plugin site may be great, but having to follow comments on it would not be too much fun. Every successful Open Source project on the web has a very lively forum, they may compliment it with Twitter or Facebook, but the hub is the forum.

I never did give anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell.
Harry S. Truman

Board footer